Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 01:45 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Silly sir - The musings of Lt. Commader Data aside, there can be no justification of any group that targets civilians but it is objectively accepted that the IRA predominantly did not. Ireland’s independence movement squarely falls under Just War theory. Were there IRA splinter groups run by murderous nuts? Sure. Were there civilians killed as collateral damage? unfortunately yes, but war is bloody murder to a certain extent and there are civilian casualties in first world miltary attacks all the time.

And as others pointed out, the British justice system didn’t always get it right, the Birmingham Five e.g.

This subject sometimes admittedly leads to digressions for which I apologize. My hope is that the nationalist and unionist communities in the north can learn to live side by side in 2019 and beyond, just as in the 26 counties the protestant minority gets along fine with the catholic majority....just as catholics and protestants get along fine in 21st century America.

And back to the original point - I truly believe the USA and Britain will always have each others’ backs, and I truly believe we should. We have too much in common. Our “special relationship” is too important. We just need to keep the left wing nuts at bay in both of our countries.
Didn't target civilians and yet 650 civilians were murdered by the IRA, your claim doesn't add up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 02:37 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

The generation now almost passed, had a high regard for America. My grandmother knew young American soldiers during the war, as did my father, who was just a kid. My generation also had the same good feeling towards America, and Americans. I still feel the same way. I have a high regard for the ordinary American people. When I first visited America 30 years ago, they did not disappoint me. We are kin. I feel it when I visit, and nothing will change my mind on this issue.
Brits and Americans have been described as cousins.

Continental Europe, on the other hand, has been described as "another world" by Americans who have visited. No particular affinity with those countries.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:20 PM

391 posts, read 196,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post

And back to the original point - I truly believe the USA and Britain will always have each others’ backs, and I truly believe we should. We have too much in common. Our “special relationship” is too important. We just need to keep the left wing nuts at bay in both of our countries.
I wouldn't hold my breath on the US/UK "special relationship" enduring. Once the US becomes Majority Minority in the next 25 - 30 years the political dynamic will change, and the views of old white guys will be highly discounted.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:44 PM

39 posts, read 37,509 times
To the pro American British, not everybody believes in it. I wouldn't be asking these kinds of question if I hadn't been coming across a lot and I mean a lot of angry British people. Also what if the majority of British people were like this?

Old 07-04-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Reese View Post
To the pro American British, not everybody believes in it. I wouldn't be asking these kinds of question if I hadn't been coming across a lot and I mean a lot of angry British people. Also what if the majority of British people were like this?
As a 'British' person living in Britain and knowing my fellow 'Britons' really rather well I have to say this doesn't 'ring true', I don't actually believe you to be honest.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:40 AM

39 posts, read 37,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
As a 'British' person living in Britain and knowing my fellow 'Britons'.....
Why do the British hate Americans?

and the french hate the british? i mean, I'm American (living in britain) and I have no idea why people are so rude to me once they hear my "american" accent. And no, i do not speak bad american english, but standard american english.

I personally love the french, but I am trapped withinn my american nationality. why is it like this? why can't we just get along?

Best Answer: I travel a lot on business, so I know some of what you are going through and I sympathize - I wish I had a dollar for every anti-American remark I hear these days. I try to keep it in perspective and not get too bent out of shape, but there are times it makes me feel bad and I wonder the same things that you do.

- Copper Cat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, ma'am, I wasn't talking to you but the majority of you.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Reese View Post
Why do the British hate Americans?

and the french hate the british? i mean, I'm American (living in britain) and I have no idea why people are so rude to me once they hear my "american" accent. And no, i do not speak bad american english, but standard american english.

I personally love the french, but I am trapped withinn my american nationality. why is it like this? why can't we just get along?

Best Answer: I travel a lot on business, so I know some of what you are going through and I sympathize - I wish I had a dollar for every anti-American remark I hear these days. I try to keep it in perspective and not get too bent out of shape, but there are times it makes me feel bad and I wonder the same things that you do.

- Copper Cat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, ma'am, I wasn't talking to you but the majority of you.
I don't believe a word of it and until you show me a 'majority' of Britons 'hating' on our American cousins I won't believe you..............don't forget I am a Briton, living in Britain and living amongst Britons, if you want to believe somebody perhaps you should believe 'the horses mouth' & I am sure there are plenty of other actual British people living in Briton that would back me up on this..................British people certainly DO NOT have a dislike for American people. The French though now that is a different matter! (joking of course!)

Old 07-04-2019, 01:25 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
I don't believe a word of it and until you show me a 'majority' of Britons 'hating' on our American cousins I won't believe you..............don't forget I am a Briton, living in Britain and living amongst Britons, if you want to believe somebody perhaps you should believe 'the horses mouth' & I am sure there are plenty of other actual British people living in Briton that would back me up on this..................British people certainly DO NOT have a dislike for American people. The French though now that is a different matter! (joking of course!)
OP seems to have once again been banished for this user name. You will have to catch up with him under his new user name in a couple weeks or so. He will return, he always does. I'm surprised he lasted this long.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:06 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Quote:
As a Briton I can categorically say that we actually like the Americans, we don't dislike our Euro neighbours but we DEFINATELY feel far more affinity with other Anglo nations and that includes the US. Despite a bit of 'ribbing' the US and the other Anglo nations have always 'had our back' and I hope and like to think the favour is returned.

Does that answer your question?
I know this is true. When I was in London 30 years ago we were treated very well. The English people we met were always friendly and didn’t seem to mind when they heard our Murican accents. I loved seeing England, wish I could see the rest of the UK. Most Americans also like and respect the British. Of course we are fully aware of how much of our nation is built on British culture, after all we are an Anglophone nation. I say this today as we celebrate the 4th of July, or as y’all probably call it ...treason day lol. We can be proud of winning our independence AND still acknowledge and be proud of where we come from regarding our British foundations.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:56 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
There is a vast difference of being against American foreign policy and disliking Americans. Americans have long been part of the scene in London and tourist locations. Besides some saying Americans have a tendency to be loud, don't recall much out right hostility. Why ever should there be. England especially, at least the more desirable parts are crawling with tourists especially during the summer months, with Americans being just another, but at least speak English. Many come to study and quite a few work. Some light banter I've heard at times, bad very mild indeed. English have a reputation for politeness and probably if any fault, through at least American eyes is that many English appear more 'withdrawn' or not as out going as Americans are used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom