Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 01:23 AM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Reese View Post
Do you feel that majority of British are happy with this alliance?

Are you British?

No, au contraire - I am "mostly Russian troll," who ( according to some here) is trying to sow the discord between America and *Europe.*

( In reality of course, the way I see it - the discord is already there, without my humble efforts))) )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 03:15 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
British people often complain about the wars, racism, US imperialism, US corporations, US influence, US anything, if so, why do the people of the UK allow themselves to ally itself with the US? Why doesn't the UK isolate it like what it is doing with North Korea or Iran? Why doesn't the the UK ban US corporations and kick out the US military? Why don't British people just keep the US out for good so that they won't be so hateful?

There are millions of solutions to your problems.

Why let the very thing or things that you hate enter your lives?
Not more Anti-American threads, aren't you tired yet.

As for Britain, we have our own foreign policy, whilst US bases are here due to NATO and intelligence agreements, and whuich benefit the west as a whole.

The UK is actually looking to trade more with the US and the rest of the world, and willn not be isolating itself, indeed it may well establish even greater anglosphere cooperation and trade through Canzuk and other proposed agreements.

CANZUK International – Promoting Closer Ties

Old 06-21-2019, 04:46 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:

What? The feeling that Europe has for the US?

No, what is not new is that humans are "terrible" creatures.

We cooperate to the extent that it is in the best interests of those with the wherewithal to cooperate.

Yes, there are better hobbies than bad-mouthing one another (see point one), but we are used to it.

There is an old Italian expression: when they piss down your back, make believe it's raining.

Here's one from childhood: sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me.

Here's one from English literature: what's in a name?

But when push comes to shove, France and the United States, just for example, have been on the same side in every war, or at least neutral, since year one.

The US and UK since the 1820s.

France and UK since the 1850s.

Still, I wouldn't think twice at pointing my middle finger at either one of them, just to take the Michael out of them.

It's too much fun.

Get it?

By the way, besides threats and proxies here and there around the world (which is good for business), have the US and Russia every actually fired a shot at one another (which is bad)?

I don't recall that.

Seems you, terrible creature, have the same hobbies that we do.

I'll be your mirror.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Old 06-21-2019, 05:47 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about being liked here. Who cares about being liked? Let me ask you, do you feel like you speak for the majority of you when you say that Britain wants American protection and American influence in your country?
Britain influences and is influenced by a LOT of other countries not just the US, Britain is also part of NATO which again does not simply equate to the US, why would it be OK with you for the British to be influenced by Indian Curry's and not American films? Are the Spanish OK with being influenced by English sports or should they bullfight instead of kick a ball? There is one very obvious reason why Britain has a close relationship with other Anglo countries (including the US) and that is LANGUAGE which has a huge unifying effect, Anglo nations share a LOT of culture both ways, we watch Australian soaps, Americans listen to British music, Australians watch American films and Canadians and New Zealanders both watch 'Due South'. Britain is also influenced by Europe (neighbours) and other Commonwealth nations for obvious reasons. Britain obviously exported a lot of culture when it had a global empire but now the world is a much smaller place and there is most certainly a lot more 'globalization' than ever before.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Britain influences and is influenced by a LOT of other countries not just the US, Britain is also part of NATO which again does not simply equate to the US, why would it be OK with you for the British to be influenced by Indian Curry's and not American films? Are the Spanish OK with being influenced by English sports or should they bullfight instead of kick a ball? There is one very obvious reason why Britain has a close relationship with other Anglo countries (including the US) and that is LANGUAGE which has a huge unifying effect, Anglo nations share a LOT of culture both ways, we watch Australian soaps, Americans listen to British music, Australians watch American films and Canadians and New Zealanders both watch 'Due South'. Britain is also influenced by Europe (neighbours) and other Commonwealth nations for obvious reasons. Britain obviously exported a lot of culture when it had a global empire but now the world is a much smaller place and there is most certainly a lot more 'globalization' than ever before.

Well thank you for being reasonable, because I think this person is trying to ask a legitimate question of some kind, yet he/she is labeled as "Russian troll" just because.

Hopefully we'll be able to put his/her restless mind to rest, instead of seeing the same questions popping up over and over again.

And if everything fails, at least we'll be referring him/her back to this post of yours.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
I've been spending a lot of time over at Quora and they definitely feel this way. In fact, a lot of Europeans wants the US to collapse and be replaced by Russia or China or better, by them. They believe that the US is an incompetent power and that the world would be better led by another.
Going to Quora to look for balanced opinions of the US is like going to an Irish pub in Derry to look for balanced opinions about the UK.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:19 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well thank you for being reasonable, because I think this person is trying to ask a legitimate question of some kind, yet he/she is labeled as "Russian troll" just because.
Its not "just because". The idea that ordinary/ a majority of Europeans want to turn their backs on the USA and embrace Russia (paraphrasing his words) is a false one pushed by Russian trolls on the internet. Thus why many people's initial reaction here was he is one of those. Plus, seeing you endorse his "question" supports that argument.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Its not "just because". The idea that ordinary/ a majority of Europeans want to turn their backs on the USA and embrace Russia (paraphrasing his words) is a false one pushed by Russian trolls on the internet. Thus why many people's initial reaction here was he is one of those. Plus, seeing you endorse his "question" supports that argument.

Well don't "paraphrase" the OP, because this particular thread was not opened regarding *Europeans* in general, but SPECIFICALLY about the UK. (That's why it ended up in UK section, just in case you didn't notice.)
I endorsed OP question as legitimate and laughed off accusations of "Russian trolling," because specifically from RUSSIAN point of view, the alignment of UK and US comes as a natural thing, since Russians consider both as basically one and the same force.

( Now when I think about it, Russians jokingly refer to both as Naglo-Saxons ( from Russian word "Naglyi" - obnoxious/insolent) which is pretty funny. )
When it comes to the "majority of Europeans" - it's a slightly different story, and your statement that "an idea that majority of Europeans want to turn their backs on the USA and embrace Russia is a false one pushed by Russian trolls" is yet again lacks the subtlety.

Does anti-American sentiment exist in *Europe*?

Definitely yes, irrespective of any "Russian trolls."
Is it all about "embracing Russia instead of the US?"
Definitely not, it's just an acknowledgement that Russia is one of those forces withstanding American domination of the world, Europe including.

How many Europeans perceive things this way ( and by "Europeans" I mean "old Europe," not the "new Europe," concocted yet again with the help of the US, to serve the obvious goals,) is hard to tell.

Does part of Britons perceive things in the same manner as their *European* counterparts?
The answer is definitely yes, even if Russians are not aware of that.

As I've said, subtlety is not Russian strongest point, and neither is yours)))

Old 06-21-2019, 05:44 PM

39 posts, read 37,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
How many Europeans perceive things this way....... is hard to tell.
What do you think, you live in Europe, I think you have an idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom