Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:37 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,037,816 times

Advertisements

The only really uniquely "British" thing I make at home is Yorkshire Pudding.

I tried Haggis from a Scottish store here, but it was foul. The family was Scottish but obviously they didn't teach their kids much.
Fish and Chips here is lacking too, they make fries rather than proper chips, although I heard there is a shop in Rhode Island that does the real thing.
My supermarket now sells Maltesers and Whole Foods sells oatcakes, which I really miss ($4-$5 for a box, in Scotland it would be 60p).
Trying now to find proper sausage for sausage rolls. Don't know why, just had a craving recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 PM

775 posts, read 581,342 times
I love British sausage - so much better than here in the US; however, I much prefer the variety of hams to choose from here. Your desserts are wonderful - trifles, various custard combinations. I happen to really like haggis made with oatsl and the accompanying spices with "neeps" (turnips). I love your tea shops; I think your chips (french fries) are better than ours - fresher - but I did not encounter enough variety in salads. I would miss a good burger now and again in Britain.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:01 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,129,578 times
the absolutely worst hamburger I ever had was in England! it's just what your tastes are used to, I guess. To me, British foods are bland or nondescript- I think it's just because I was exposed to bangers, simple pies, low-fuss desserts, etc. when I was there. However, I'm aware some ethnic foods are exceptional there- notably curries & other E.Indian fare. Whereas it's hit-or-miss in many U.S. Indian restuarants (not called curry houses here).
Likewise, I'm sure many British tastebuds are put off by many of the favorite foods of America such as big hunks of steak, ribs, pizza, etc. However more and more Americans are eating healthfully & considering more ethnic choices- I acknowledge tastes in an ethnic context of food is more sophisticated in the UK (or Australia) than the US, generally. It's just different culinary sensibilities.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:39 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,238,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
the absolutely worst hamburger I ever had was in England! it's just what your tastes are used to, I guess. To me, British foods are bland or nondescript- I think it's just because I was exposed to bangers, simple pies, low-fuss desserts, etc. when I was there. However, I'm aware some ethnic foods are exceptional there- notably curries & other E.Indian fare. Whereas it's hit-or-miss in many U.S. Indian restuarants (not called curry houses here).
Likewise, I'm sure many British tastebuds are put off by many of the favorite foods of America such as big hunks of steak, ribs, pizza, etc. However more and more Americans are eating healthfully & considering more ethnic choices- I acknowledge tastes in an ethnic context of food is more sophisticated in the UK (or Australia) than the US, generally. It's just different culinary sensibilities.
We're fantastic at dreadful hamburgers. Especially if you get them from little truck things in car parks. I think a lot of our traditional food is quite bland, personally, but I do wonder if it's a generational thing. If you have spicy things a lot of the time, your taste buds deaden a little bit. Just like if you have very little salt in your diet then a tiny bit of salt is really noticeable, but someone who has a lot, needs a lot to be able to taste it. So I suspect food that to me is a bit bland won't be to someone who for instance doesn't like curry or other spicy food. There are still some pretty xenophobic attitudes to "foreign foods" hanging about, especially among the older generation.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,496,308 times
Let's not forget the marvellous contribution to haute cuisine the UK has made: the Doner Kebab! Just what you need after a seriously heavy night's drinking and want to get the hangover part over with BEFORE you go to bed.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,238,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Let's not forget the marvellous contribution to haute cuisine the UK has made: the Doner Kebab! Just what you need after a seriously heavy night's drinking and want to get the hangover part over with BEFORE you go to bed.
Ah yes, the traditional british doner kebab... I think Shakespeare liked them....

(Psst - they're turkish - don't tell anyone - you already knew that didn't you? )

Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,855 times
Default British meat in USA...mmm

There is a great website...www.buybangers.com...where you can get Traditional British bangers. They are delicious. Not like the other rubbish I've tried here. They are pre-cooked too, so no need to steam or boil them! Great for making Toad in the hole, bangers and mash, and full proper breakfast fry! I think they are going to sell Back bacon soon! yum. Not the streaky fatty stuff Americans call bacon. They offer free shipping which makes it a little more affordable.
Cheers!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:11 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,496,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugnmama View Post
There is a great website...www.buybangers.com...where you can get Traditional British bangers. They are delicious. Not like the other rubbish I've tried here. They are pre-cooked too, so no need to steam or boil them! Great for making Toad in the hole, bangers and mash, and full proper breakfast fry! I think they are going to sell Back bacon soon! yum. Not the streaky fatty stuff Americans call bacon. They offer free shipping which makes it a little more affordable.
Cheers!
Do you know the old joke about the difference in bacon? If the customer asks for streaky, the butcher calls her Dear. If she asks for back bacon, he calls her Madam (in a good way!) .

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM

145 posts, read 412,945 times
i miss really good scampi and chips - scampi here is not scampi as brits know it - and custard...yum.
good ol' brit take out too is missed from curry to chip butties to proper bacon...sigh.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM

43,877 posts, read 44,661,974 times
I like Shepard's Pie which can be ordered at the local Irish pub/restaurants in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom