Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,375,999 times

Advertisements

I cook a lot of traditional British dishes which my American hubster loves.
Lancashire Hotpot, Farmhouse Venison Pie (if he gets a deer during hunting season), Shepherd's Pie, and Toad In The Hole. He wasn't too keen on Bubble and Squeak but he understood how it got its name! He really doesn't get my love of chips, beans and a fried egg but he loves bacon butties.

Personally I think British food got a bad wrap. If cooked properly and sometimes with a bit of a spin on it, it's delicious.

Can't beat the chippy on a Friday night after leaving the pub, mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,939,146 times

YouTube - Goodness Gracious Me!

From a hilarious TV series. Of course, any resemblance to English customers in an Indian restaurant is entirely coincidental.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:16 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,344,063 times
@jacq63 LOLOLOL that is hilarious !!

I love English food, always have...some things are an acquired taste but it's that way in every country I think

Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,557,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
We're fantastic at dreadful hamburgers. Especially if you get them from little truck things in car parks. I think a lot of our traditional food is quite bland, personally, but I do wonder if it's a generational thing. If you have spicy things a lot of the time, your taste buds deaden a little bit. Just like if you have very little salt in your diet then a tiny bit of salt is really noticeable, but someone who has a lot, needs a lot to be able to taste it. So I suspect food that to me is a bit bland won't be to someone who for instance doesn't like curry or other spicy food. There are still some pretty xenophobic attitudes to "foreign foods" hanging about, especially among the older generation.
LOL -we call them diptheria burgers-out of a tin often.
I had a really bad case of yukky tummy from one about 20 years ago-wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
Even our BK and McDonalds are different form in the US and about twice the price.
Don't know why the other OP thinks we would be put off by steak,ribs and pizza?
A lot of people are real carnivores and probably live on meat and pizzas.
We have some great Italian pizzas here-but for me you can keep stuffed crusts and deep pan-nice thin stone baked with just cheeses, tomato and a few anchovies does me.

I am not a huge lover of smoked streaky bacon or US sausage, but do love livermush and biscuits and gravy -although generallyverysalty.

Choice of salads is better over there too-i love salads and veggies!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:47 PM

266 posts, read 1,005,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I live in Sussex (usually) and buy locally-sourced ingredients, but I don't think I could name a single regional Sussex dish! Shame on me....except Sussex Pond Pudding perhaps...tho I'm not too sure what it is

So I had to go and look it up - this looks useful... The Great British Kitchen (broken link)

where i found

Great British Cookbook - Sussex Pond Pudding which looks yummy
Is Posh Nosh a "real" British cooking show? The dishes seem a bit contrived?
Also, does British TV have a Food Channel?

Personally, I do like the cheeses that come from England. They have a whole flock of them at Costco! Yummy!

Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,496,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
Is Posh Nosh a "real" British cooking show? The dishes seem a bit contrived?
Also, does British TV have a Food Channel?

Personally, I do like the cheeses that come from England. They have a whole flock of them at Costco! Yummy!
No, it was a series that spoofed TV cooking shows and sent up the more pompous and ridiculous aspects of TV chefs. I think there is the Good Food channel on Sky TV.

I miss the Two Fat Ladies on TV. Even if every meal they cooked was designed to kill you from overloaded arteries they turned out some amazing stuff and they were hilarious to watch.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,183 times
Sorry guys the best food were in France, Italy and Spain

Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,964,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhood View Post
Sorry guys the best food were in France, Italy and Spain
You can eat pretty badly in those countries too. Properly prepared, all countries can offer outstanding food .... even Britain.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,714,149 times
Default The Haggis.

Anyone see the Mail on-line yesterday? it claimed the Haggis is an English invention. Anyone believe this?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:52 AM

294 posts, read 700,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Anyone see the Mail on-line yesterday? it claimed the Haggis is an English invention. Anyone believe this?
I feel a revolt coming if it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom