Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 PM

118 posts, read 486,147 times

Advertisements

OMG!!!! Doner Kebabs are sooooooo gooooood!!!!! If we had them in Chicago I'd be 180 kg! Hmmm..maybe it's a GOOD thing that they're not here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 PM

482 posts, read 1,334,551 times
There is a late night Donner Kabob place in my neighborhood that rules. It is always hard to pass up when you are leaving the bar after after last call.......great stuff!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:22 PM

Wha..wha WHAT!!!!! I'm sooooo going to Omaha! I should open a little doner kebab place here. It would be killer!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
There is a late night Donner Kabob place in my neighborhood that rules. It is always hard to pass up when you are leaving the bar after after last call.......great stuff!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,253,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
OMG!!!! Doner Kebabs are sooooooo gooooood!!!!! If we had them in Chicago I'd be 180 kg! Hmmm..maybe it's a GOOD thing that they're not here.

You have them in Chicago but they are called 'Euros' in the US.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 AM

Uhhh..dude...NOT the same thing. The meat tastes different and we don't have the same toppings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
You have them in Chicago but they are called 'Euros' in the US.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:52 PM

116 posts, read 426,500 times
Would someone please tell me what they are made of!?!?!
I'm drooling, please don't keep me in suspense..........
What's a Euros? I thought that was currency in Europe?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,556,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I was brought up on the fairly boring sort of "some form of meat with potatoes and a couple of veg" diet, which I found pretty dull and escaped from as soon as I left home.

I like the odd roast dinner - my neighbour does a great roast beef and my OH does a really good roast chicken, but it's not something I often crave or bother to do myself.

I tend to veer towards Italian and Indian food by preference. Although the problem with Indian food is that it either takes you forever to make (unless you cook 8 gallons in bulk and have a BIG freezer!) or you get it from the takeaway and it makes you fat.

What I make at home tends to be very vague dishes with no one place of origin - usually some form of meat (like a chicken kiev) with some steamed veg. Or with sweet potatoes. Or I make "vegetable splat" (a vegan friend's term) and put it on a baked potato. I very rarely make definitive "English food." Quite apart from anything else, a lot of it is quite stodgy, so you wouldn't want it too often.

Some pies are OK.... Wow - look at my unreserved pride in my national dishes.... some pies are OK... lol

I think if I were in America I'd love the availability of good mexican food, but I don't like big steaks or ribs or anything like that... I'd definitely miss curry if you're missing curry!
But you can get curry in the US too.
We eat occasional roast dinner (usually at my parents).Quite a lot of fish and loads of veg and salads. But I am a devil for the odd nice bit of pork or steak and kidney pie or fruit crumble and custard and I would give my right arm for a really moist boozey christmas pudding!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,556,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
Would someone please tell me what they are made of!?!?!
I'm drooling, please don't keep me in suspense..........
What's a Euros? I thought that was currency in Europe?
I think it preports to be lamb-oozing with fat-heaven knows how long they keep it on those spits.Gross.Can't believe this is a thread about English food and everyone is ooing and aaing about turkish kebabs-and not even turkish kebabs in Turkey!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 PM

Hahahahahahaha!!! Well..people get excited about Mexican food in the U.S. May I become excited about doner kebabs in England?

I think of doner kebabs and curry stands as being part of the British food culture. They're like McDonalds.

I've got a layover in Istanbul and cannot wait to stuff myself silly with doner kebabs.

If it will make you feel better, I miss real fish and chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I think it preports to be lamb-oozing with fat-heaven knows how long they keep it on those spits.Gross.Can't believe this is a thread about English food and everyone is ooing and aaing about turkish kebabs-and not even turkish kebabs in Turkey!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,860,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Just wondered what you all think of 'British' food?
I think Chicken Tikka Masala is heaven on a plate. Also am a big fan of fish and chips... so long as the fish is light on the breading. Shepherd's pie is pretty tasty as well. Overall, I like British food, it's all very comfort foodesque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom