Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 12:59 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I've always been interested in the British royal family; but I will definitely avoid this book and all of Harry & Meghan's TV appearances. Life is too short to waste time on this nonsense.
How can anyone get pleasure for bringing down so many people in his own family and all for cash...its sickening....I liked Harry a lot...especially his Invictus work... thought he was marvellous... now though no one will ever trust him or his mentor ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 05:27 AM

1,385 posts, read 726,088 times
Why would anyone waste money on this book? There is so much out there that is free and really... you only need to listen to one interview to get the gist and to get sick enough that you don't want to hear anymore.

I have to wonder how many of those books sold are to press people across the world who feel they have to read it.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:02 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
Why would anyone waste money on this book? There is so much out there that is free and really... you only need to listen to one interview to get the gist and to get sick enough that you don't want to hear anymore.

I have to wonder how many of those books sold are to press people across the world who feel they have to read it.
I agree... I do watch whats going on on tv or online but wouldnt waste my money.. and cant watch them on tv with their docuries or whatever their called...it would only get me more angry..

Old 01-12-2023, 06:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,570,296 times
[quote=wizrap;64721187 Someone that dumb can’t be a pilot.[/QUOTE]
don't think he was a pilot, a troop commander in the blues and royals, foot patrols, recce missions that sort of things, would have commanded a troop of men but his missions would have Top Secret to avoid the enemy catching wind of where he was - his Uncle Andrew flew helicopters in the Falklands War and his brother was an SAR helicopter pilot in the RAF bit would not have seen combat

in any event he has most certainly contravened the official secrets act by talking publicly about his missions

Old 01-12-2023, 06:40 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
https://nypost.com/2023/01/11/prince...-sales-record/

Prince Harry’s controversial autobiography “Spare” has shattered the United Kingdom’s record for the best-selling nonfiction book in history, its publisher announced on Tuesday.

“Spare,” which details Harry’s account of his various personal troubles and contentious relationship with other members of the royal family, has sold approximately 400,000 copies in hardback, e-book and audio formats since its official release Tuesday.

“We always knew this book would fly but it is exceeding even our most bullish expectations,” Transworld Penguin Random House managing director Larry Finlay said in a statement on the sales record.

“As far as we know, the only books to have sold more in their first day are those starring the other Harry (Potter),” the statement added.

The book appears to be very successful.
The book was being sold at half price on the cover from day one, so it's little wonder it has sold better than expected and I should imagine those that wanted this drivel have now bought it, at the other 67 million people in the UK probably have no desire to either buy or read thus crap.

What next quarter price or are they just going to give this crap away for free.

Prince Harry's book half price already with just one person in Waterstones queue - Daily Mirror (10th January 2023)

In terms of Harry he is extremely unpopular in recent British polling, with over two thirds of people holding him in a negative light.

The debate in the UK is now moving on, in relation to stripping this juvenile man child of his titles, and it should be noted that he might have got away with such nonsense as a teenager, but the man is now nearly 40, and just blaming the Royals, Media and ' Ordinary British People is no longer going to cut it.

The truth is, that he can't return here, as he will just be loudly heckled and his wife has already had death threats, and this was before this idiot provoked the Islamic Fundamentalist world and made the world more dangerous for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtzMcxaJpJQ&t=150s

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-12-2023 at 06:50 AM..

Old 01-12-2023, 07:41 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post

The sales figures released by publishers include sales to book stores. The bulk of the "sold" books are on shelves and in stock rooms at book stores. These sales figures are meant to create hype that a book is in high demand to generate sales to consumers. Many books end up as "remainders" and I suspect this one will soon be remaindered and liquidated.

One reviewer said the book is the longest angry drunk text ever sent.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:06 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The sales figures released by publishers include sales to book stores. The bulk of the "sold" books are on shelves and in stock rooms at book stores. These sales figures are meant to create hype that a book is in high demand to generate sales to consumers. Many books end up as "remainders" and I suspect this one will soon be remaindered and liquidated.

Great comment.

Even though I had the book (free) time-wise it was only worth skimming. I read a lot of memoirs. Good ones create the scene (Spare descriptions are embarrassingly florid) and are reflective (not a complaint-fest). Harry really did ramble on for most of the book sprinkling in accusations that were only assertions, with not enough detail to allow the reader to form their opinion.

I HATE how he crafted some scenes in an attempt to support some accusations - IMHO that is based on other multi-sourced reporting. Harry did experience trauma as a young boy. That does not, however, allow him to be dishonest as a man and, in essence, traumatize others by his actions.

This whole thing is a ridiculous mess.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:21 AM

1,385 posts, read 726,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Thanks for that info. This makes more sense.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:18 AM

474 posts, read 264,264 times
Already numero uno on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books/zgbs/books

Old 01-12-2023, 10:07 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The book was being sold at half price on the cover from day one, so it's little wonder it has sold better than expected and I should imagine those that wanted this drivel have now bought it, at the other 67 million people in the UK probably have no desire to either buy or read thus crap.

What next quarter price or are they just going to give this crap away for free.
Coming soon to liquidation outlets and thrift stores near you!

Oh wait...already there...

I just saw on Amazon that the hardcover ($22.42) is CHEAPER than the paperback ($34.20). It's only been out for 2 days and already falling far below the publisher's expectations.

This means that the publisher printed far more hardcover copies than are selling. They lower the price to try to recoup some of their costs. This publisher that made the 4 book deal with Harry might be regretting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom