Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times

Advertisements

I took rides on the MetroNorth last week and it was actually really nice. Much faster than I thought and looked relatively modern. Price is also less than I expected. There is hope. I would like to see high speed rail built from Washington DC to Boston and also from New York to Montreal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 08:47 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,699,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Yes.

Annapolis branch:

DC-Arlington rail/road project
How did you make those maps?

Old 04-16-2017, 09:18 PM

992 posts, read 877,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
How did you make those maps?
google.com/mymaps

Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,224,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I took rides on the MetroNorth last week and it was actually really nice. Much faster than I thought and looked relatively modern. Price is also less than I expected. There is hope. I would like to see high speed rail built from Washington DC to Boston and also from New York to Montreal
And best part about MetroNorth (and LIRR) is that they let you drink on the train!

Does anyone know if there are any other cities/Metro regions that let you drink on commuter rail?

Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
And best part about MetroNorth (and LIRR) is that they let you drink on the train!

Does anyone know if there are any other cities/Metro regions that let you drink on commuter rail?
Drinking is OK on NJ Transit trains; recently it's been almost mandatory.

It doesn't look like drinking is forbidden on the MARC train (Maryland).

SEPTA (Philadelphia) doesn't call out alcohol specifically; it says "drink only from containers with sturdy, resealable lids. No open containers or cans". I assume this means a beer bottle is out but a fifth is fine.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,318,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Drinking is OK on NJ Transit trains; recently it's been almost mandatory.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,318,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

I'd be surprised if you couldn't drink on any of the CR systems.

Wasn't it until fairly recently (within the last 10-12 years) that there was a bar car on Montauk Branch trains in the summer?

Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,224,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'd be surprised if you couldn't drink on any of the CR systems.

Wasn't it until fairly recently (within the last 10-12 years) that there was a bar car on Montauk Branch trains in the summer?
I've heard about this but I wasn't old enough to ever try that out.

You'd be surprised though with liquor laws in some other states...

Old 04-24-2017, 10:57 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

SEPTA (Philadelphia) doesn't call out alcohol specifically; it says "drink only from containers with sturdy, resealable lids. No open containers or cans". I assume this means a beer bottle is out but a fifth is fine.
There were several times in college when we'd take the Media-Elwyn Line into the city on a Friday or Saturday night, and we'd bring along those 30 ounce beer cans to drink on our way in. Not once did a conductor ever tell us to put them away.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:48 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,699,535 times
Looking at the MARC commuter rail line that's in the DC region, would it be feasbile and logical if they were extend the Brunswick Line or make a spur line off the Brunswick Line to Winchester VA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning