Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:03 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times

Advertisements

And the Northeast Regional - Lynchburg Branch, would that have a stop in Blacksburg, or travel past it towards Bristol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,943,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Nexis4Jersey,

Everything you have posted in this thread was really informative information, but I have a specific question.

Rumors are going around of having a new transit line from Philadelphia to New York City (Manhattan). I have heard this train ride is projected to be exactly 35 minutes, which is extremely fast. Have you heard any plans for this?
... Perhaps they should focus on connecting Manhattan to JFK in 35 minutes first???

Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Nexis4Jersey:

If by chance that you read this, I was curious if you can tell me and everyone else what locations will get stations for the proposed lines that you mentioned in your first post:

Washington DC-Front Royal, VA
Baltimore-Frederick, MD
Washington DC-Annapolis, MD
Baltimore-Annapolis, MD
Wilmington/Philadelphia-Ocean City, MD
Baltimore-Harrisburg, PA
Washington DC-Hagerstown, MD
College Park, MD-Columbia, MD

Thanks.
I don't have the station listings per say , but I have updated ideas on what will happen

Washington DC to Front Royal will be a VRE Extension
Baltimore - Fredrick would be a MARC DMU or Express bus
Washington DC to Annapolis would be a Light Rail or MARC
Baltimore-Annapolis, MD would be a MTA Light Rail extension or Bus Rapid Transit
Wilmington/Philadelphia-Ocean City, MD , from Wilmington to Dover will be a full serviced commuter rail , Intercity service would continue south to Salisbury , Milford and Ocean City similar to the Keystone corridor
Baltimore-Harrisburg, PA would be an Intercity line , most likely Electric
Washington DC-Hagerstown, MD - would be a MARC Brunswick line Extension

Proposed map of a Washington-Baltimore regional rail system by rllayman, on Flickr

Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Washington DC to Front Royal will be a VRE Extension
No doubt that the B-Line would have to be straigtened out in some areas and double-tracked. Do you think they'd go that route, or install a new line with a different route entirely?

Quote:
Baltimore - Fredrick would be a MARC DMU or Express bus
Would whomever be able to install a second track with the boundaries of Patapsco Valley State Park?

Quote:
Washington DC to Annapolis would be a Light Rail or MARC
Is it possible for that route to follow the old Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railway (WB&A) ROW?

Quote:
Baltimore-Annapolis, MD would be a MTA Light Rail extension or Bus Rapid Transit
Do you know if the Baltimore & Annapolis Trail is railbanked? I can only see a MTA Light Rail extension occurring if that's the case.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:43 AM

I'd also like to see a MARC route from DC to Winchester VA via Charles Town WV.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 PM

992 posts, read 877,112 times
I think for all this to happen, rail routes through both DC and Baltimore need to be rethought, perhaps like this:

Baltimore. New central rail station is built under Convention Center, with lines from DC and Annapolis flowing into it from the south and from Harrisburg and Philadelphia from the north, via a new tunnel and trench along the I-83 ROW, which I propose removing and redeveloping through downtown Baltimore, decking over the new rail route. This unifies the rail lines, replaces the aging tunnel, shortens travel times, and places Baltimore's primary station closer to its core.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington. This more controversial (I would assume) plan would remove much of I-395, and use one of its bridges, its ROW south of L'Enfant Plaza, and it's tunnel to create a new 4 track railway through DC. (It would also open a lot of land to redevelopment.) While it would certainly cut car capacity, it would allow trains to run through DC every 3 minutes, creating the possibility of a very frequent RER style regional rail network, fast and frequent HSR/intercity rail, and shorten journey times, while having a the possibility of a passenger-rail only rail route from Boston all the way to Richmond/Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta/wherever.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Baltimore. New central rail station is built under Convention Center, with lines from DC and Annapolis flowing into it from the south and from Harrisburg and Philadelphia from the north, via a new tunnel and trench along the I-83 ROW, which I propose removing and redeveloping through downtown Baltimore, decking over the new rail route. This unifies the rail lines, replaces the aging tunnel, shortens travel times, and places Baltimore's primary station closer to its core.
What ROW does that Baltimore to Annapolis route follow?

Quote:
Washington. This more controversial (I would assume) plan would remove much of I-395, and use one of its bridges, its ROW south of L'Enfant Plaza, and it's tunnel to create a new 4 track railway through DC. (It would also open a lot of land to redevelopment.) While it would certainly cut car capacity, it would allow trains to run through DC every 3 minutes, creating the possibility of a very frequent RER style regional rail network, fast and frequent HSR/intercity rail, and shorten journey times, while having a the possibility of a passenger-rail only rail route from Boston all the way to Richmond/Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta/wherever.
The I-395 route, does it take up the HOV lanes? And where does it lead to going south?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
What ROW does that Baltimore to Annapolis route follow?
I had originally thought it would follow the Baltimore & Annapolis Trail, but I think it would be better if it followed a new ROW from north of Bowie State station across the north side of Crofton, then along I-97 through Parole, terminating in Downtown Annapolis. That way, trains could operate along the new route to both Washington and Baltimore via the Bowie State Wye.

Quote:
The I-395 route, does it take up the HOV lanes? And where does it lead to going south?
I-395 would be completely removed east of the Pentagon (where it would feed into the George Washington Parkway instead) Though this would **** off motorists, total passenger capacity would significantly increase. The new rail route would come from a Crystal City/National Airport station and use the northbound general purpose lanes to the district, before it would follow a cut and cover tunnel along the I-395 ROW to the I-395 tunnel, and pass through that.

The HOV Lanes and Southbound general purpose lanes would be converted to an extension of Washington Boulevard.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I had originally thought it would follow the Baltimore & Annapolis Trail, but I think it would be better if it followed a new ROW from north of Bowie State station across the north side of Crofton, then along I-97 through Parole, terminating in Downtown Annapolis. That way, trains could operate along the new route to both Washington and Baltimore via the Bowie State Wye.

I-395 would be completely removed east of the Pentagon (where it would feed into the George Washington Parkway instead) Though this would **** off motorists, total passenger capacity would significantly increase. The new rail route would come from a Crystal City/National Airport station and use the northbound general purpose lanes to the district, before it would follow a cut and cover tunnel along the I-395 ROW to the I-395 tunnel, and pass through that.

The HOV Lanes and Southbound general purpose lanes would be converted to an extension of Washington Boulevard.
Do you have a full map of these fantasy proposals?

Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Do you have a full map of these fantasy proposals?
Yes.

Annapolis branch:

DC-Arlington rail/road project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning