Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 AM

146 posts, read 496,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
Mauka,
Thank you for explaining that, I appreciate it!
Cycle
No problem.
Actually, the real reason it made my eyes cross is I have a serious lazy eyes, and my eyes were tired from staring at the computer screen all day, so when I got to your post my eyes went cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM

70 posts, read 187,113 times
I can see how that could happen...this is a pretty long thread but I felt it needed to be out there.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Thank you for the support!
Cycle

Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Folks, please remember that this thread is about Utah Valley, not the Salt Lake Valley.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 PM

183 posts, read 802,011 times
Cycle, I lived in Utah as a non-Mormon and had a very difficult time too--but, no offense, I get the feeling that you are here to constantly look for an argument of some sort. In fact, didn't you once write somewhere in this thread that you periodically come back to write something just to bump your story back to the top of the thread? Why fan the flame? And, more than that, why do you still care so much now that you have moved on?

Like I said, no offense--but I feel like we've gone from arguing a relevant topic to just plain arguing. You always just seem so angry. I hope you are enjoying your life elsewhere. Truly, I do.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:45 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,375,587 times
Cycle, I am so sorry for the things your family has gone through it is not right by any means. From experiance Utah county can be a bit of a pill. We have moved to Saratoga Springs(stiil Utah County but friendlier) and it seems to be a bit easier.I know you have had really bad experiances with some LDS I have had a few myself, but I know that not all LDS are this way. Please do not let some jerks who just happen to be LDS ruin it for the rest of the LDS all of the LDS I have ever known are really good people(except for the few rude people and one big jerk). Some people are just jerks, it has nothing to do with the religon. I also try to remind myself what it must be like for someone who is LDS who knows maybe they think I am judging them because of their religon(never would do that I wont even got to a church that critizies them or leaves fliers with jabs towards the LDS I have seen a few) I look at it like this God is God there are many paths to him and a Jerk Is a jerk whatever religon they might be. I hope things are going better for you and your family.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Michelleleigh,
Thank you for the kind words. I have posted many times throughout this blog that I do not believe it is all LDS, it just happened that it was the LDS people in my neighborhood. It wasn't about just being jerks, it was about LDS people treating us with disdain, shunning us because of our religion. This post was meant to be about opening our eyes to how we treat others, not about tolerance but acceptance and looking at our own actions and what it says about each one of us individually. The people who treated us so badly left a permanent mark on my children and I hate that any religion would allow this type of behavior or excuse it because I want my children to feel kindly towards people who are different, I want them to seek out others who can give them a greater appreciate for the world and all the different people in it. I don't want my children to hate the LDS religion because one group represented themselves as being better than everyone who is not LDS.

To the poster who questioned my desire to periodically come back and post so that this stays on the first page, you are correct because I believe that people deserve to have all the information available to them so they can make an educated decision. If someone who is not LDS is contemplating moving to the area we lived in, I feel it is my duty as a civilized human being to provide this information to them because forwarned is forarmed. I'm sorry if you believe that I am angry, I only get angry when I think about how people treat others in the name of GOD, the GOD I know and love would not approve.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,030 times
I am LDS. I grew up in Utah County. I haven't lived in Utah for 27 years and now I find myself moving back to UTAH because of my husbands employment. I have family in Utah County. I can not imagine trying to live in Utah County. We will be living in Salt Lake County even if that means commuting for work! My own family are those closed minded Utah County Mormons that you are speaking of. I am sure they are that way because they have never lived away from Happy Valley. I think if you were not living in "Happy Valley" you would find a better balance of Tea Party LDS non LDS and more liberal LDS members. Thus not so closed minded and ignorant. When I do move into my new neighborhood I will be looking for my non LDS neighbors to be friends with to balance out my ward members.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Get Me Out Of Las Vegas
Thank you for posting that...I have tried repeatedly to make it clear that this is a problem with the area we lived in and not the religion itself...there will be extremism in every religion and I do not think it is a bad thing to make sure the people are aware to steer clear of an area they will be unhappy in. I wish I had taken the concerns to heart before we moved there but I really did honestly think "ok, this is the US how bad can it really be" I just thought there was a bunch of mormon bashing going on and decided to give the area the benefit of the doubt. Anyways, thanks for the post it helps to know that practicing mormons understand exactly what I am trying to explain.
Cycle

Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
I'm not quite sure I understand the comment about "tea party LDS" and "liberal LDS." I've lived outside the LDS community here in "happy valley" for a long, long time. What I see as the typical modern liberal mindset is the idea of someone else controlling every aspect of my life. If that's what you meant by "liberal LDS," then what you say about not many liberal LDS being around here is true. Sure, you have your occasional odd fanatic that thinks anyone who is not mormon will be taking a trip to "outer darkness," but even then, I've never had that type of person trying to actually control my actions, financial allocations, purchases, etc, as a liberal would. As I understand it, although the religious "rules" are laid out, a basic cornerstone of mormonism is free agency to choose your own path. That's certainly not the modern liberal philosophy. So, in that regard, no, I've not seen much in the way of liberal mormons around Utah Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah