Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax10 View Post
People are scared about things they don't understand, from what I've come across.
Yes, very true. Ignorance serves no purpose. Educate yourselves in all you do!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,246 times
I am moving to SLC. Utah is beautiful state and I have been through there many times. Originally I am from a neighboring state and made the mistake of moving out of state to a large city. Being so used to more peaceful/open rural areas, it was not a good fit. So I have a chance to right that and come back, and be closer to my kids or within a days drive at least. I never even thought about LDS influence before, even after deciding to move, until people once they heard I was moving to Utah, felt like they needed to warn me. So I got on here to see what was being said. I always had the idea that most LDS were morally and family oriented but not exclusionary. I've never encountered discrimination against me, and would not be comfortable if that is a practice. Although I am a fairly solitary person I certainly don't want to move to an area where people won't associate with me because I'm not LDS, or go to lunch or dinner or a movie once in a while. How do close to retirement age widow/single people do here? I think this forum is making me more anxious so I'm just going to go and be myself, and if I'm accepted fine, and if not....I'll learn to ski!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS. SINDEPENDENT View Post
I am moving to SLC. Utah is beautiful state and I have been through there many times. Originally I am from a neighboring state and made the mistake of moving out of state to a large city. Being so used to more peaceful/open rural areas, it was not a good fit. So I have a chance to right that and come back, and be closer to my kids or within a days drive at least. I never even thought about LDS influence before, even after deciding to move, until people once they heard I was moving to Utah, felt like they needed to warn me. So I got on here to see what was being said. I always had the idea that most LDS were morally and family oriented but not exclusionary. I've never encountered discrimination against me, and would not be comfortable if that is a practice. Although I am a fairly solitary person I certainly don't want to move to an area where people won't associate with me because I'm not LDS, or go to lunch or dinner or a movie once in a while. How do close to retirement age widow/single people do here? I think this forum is making me more anxious so I'm just going to go and be myself, and if I'm accepted fine, and if not....I'll learn to ski!
You are going to be just fine! Don't worry. I'm sure that pretty soon SouthernBelleInUtah will be along to reassure you. She was in your shoes a few years back.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I moved here 10 yrs ago as a mature single. I've made plenty of friends and dated for a while. Now I'm 69 so I'm older than you.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Alright, not looking to break the pleasant flow of welcoming exchanges and I'd like to add my thoughts that you should do fine in Utah.

Just pointing out your username is Ms. Sin Dependent

May be nothing to it or it could be a Freudian Slip, but would Utah be a proper place for someone dependent on sin...

Question is of course rhetorical...

Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 AM

6 posts, read 19,898 times
I have really enjoyed this thread, minus the few people who have attempted to debate LDS, antagonize and/or demean the entire religion (with phrases such as I am Christian--as if LDS isn't). It always amazed me that so many people are unaware of how many factions--or denominations, if you will--of Christianity there really are throughout this world. Thank you Katzpur for starting this thread, I really do appreciate it. While I am not LDS, I do own, and have read in great detail the Book of Mormon, as religions are my first love (so much so that I almost majored in it in college, but it was too exclusionary--meaning it only covered Judaism, Islam, and "Christianity," namely Catholicism). Therefore, I decided to study on my own. I will think very hard, and attempt to come up with a good question for you to answer.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,021 times
Okay, I found this thread to be extremely interesting. I'm divorced. My finance is divorced. He's what you call a Jack Mormon. He and I didn't talk about his "sealed in the temple" marriage and now I'm very upset that I suppose we can't be sealed because he already is... How awful to think although we have said we want to be together forever and one more day we won't be. I can hardly wait to have this discussion with him. Crying the blues.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree Garren View Post
Okay, I found this thread to be extremely interesting. I'm divorced. My finance is divorced. He's what you call a Jack Mormon. He and I didn't talk about his "sealed in the temple" marriage and now I'm very upset that I suppose we can't be sealed because he already is... How awful to think although we have said we want to be together forever and one more day we won't be. I can hardly wait to have this discussion with him.
Okay, hold on just a second. I'm trying to figure out whether this post is for real or not.

Are you LDS? If you're LDS, I can't imagine that anything on this forum pertaining to temple marriages/sealings came as any great surprise to you. If you're not LDS, as I suspect is the case, you can't be sealed to your fiance in the temple anyway. The fact that he was previously sealed to another woman is entirely beside the point. Also, if he is a "Jack Mormon," he wouldn't be able to get a temple recommend either. So just be happy that you've found someone you love and want to share your life with and don't worry about being sealed to him. If and when you decide to convert and if and when your fiance decides to once again practice his religion, you can start thinking about being sealed to one another. Meanwhile, why would you want to participate in a religious sacrament that you don't even believe in?

Quote:
Crying the blues.
If you're messing with my head, please don't. That would really not be a good idea.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-26-2011 at 10:16 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

If you're messing with my head, please don't. That would really not be a good idea.
Please don't mess with her head. That would make Katz angry and we don't like it when she is angry. *said in my best Bill Bixby voice *

Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by befuddled2102 View Post
I have really enjoyed this thread, minus the few people who have attempted to debate LDS, antagonize and/or demean the entire religion (with phrases such as I am Christian--as if LDS isn't). It always amazed me that so many people are unaware of how many factions--or denominations, if you will--of Christianity there really are throughout this world. Thank you Katzpur for starting this thread, I really do appreciate it. While I am not LDS, I do own, and have read in great detail the Book of Mormon, as religions are my first love (so much so that I almost majored in it in college, but it was too exclusionary--meaning it only covered Judaism, Islam, and "Christianity," namely Catholicism). Therefore, I decided to study on my own. I will think very hard, and attempt to come up with a good question for you to answer.
Hubby took a class & those were the 3 religions he studied in depth. This was before we moved to Utah. He said he wished there were more choices. He'd have loved to study the LDS religion. We also, have read some of the BOM. I am Catholic, & hubby converted (his doing) . FWIW, as many of us have said, a little knowledge goes a long way. Just keep an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Please don't mess with her head. That would make Katz angry and we don't like it when she is angry. *said in my best Bill Bixby voice *
Cue music, eyes change to that bright blue, clothes rip, & a roar escapes! lol ha ha, I used to LOVE that show! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah