Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM

168 posts, read 549,375 times

Advertisements

Fist post here.

Anyway I'm new here but I have been reading alot of posts from this forum. It seems like there are alot of great people here with alot of helpful information.

Well I'm a young professional in my late 20's looking to be a first time home buyer in Ventura County. I have lived in Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village my whole life and my job is in Westlake so I would like to remain in Ventura County.

I have been looking at homes that are in my price range which is around $280,000 - $350,000. I have been looking at single family home or detached condos. I found some newer detached Condos in the South East Oxnard near Port Hueneme (corner of Savier and Pleasant Valley). They seem to be very nice and resonably priced. I'm not too familiar with this area but I have been checking the crime data on Oxnard PD and it doesn't seem all that great. That is my only reservation about having my heart set in this area. Otherwise I really like the georaphical surrounding including the beach and the pier. I have always liked that area because I used to go fishing off the pier as a teenager. I never lived there so I dont know much. If any one can shed some lights I would really appreciate that.

My other choice is Simi Valley, somewhere between Royal and Los Angeles near Madera. The homes area older and somewhat affordable. What I find is some of these homes need alot of work. I know the weather in Simi Valley in the summer can be pretty hot. The plus side to Simi is it that the crime rate is low. My only gripe about Simi is the house are so old and I figured I can get a nicer and new looking place on the South East of Oxnard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I was 27 when I bought my first house in Moorpark; I worked at Point Mugu. I had a four bedroom rancher near Moorpark College so I rented out two rooms for eight years to the Moorpark College EATM chicks. (Hey, bachelor me...it worked out pretty good....)

This is what I would think about:

Is it realistic to wait a couple years? (Housing is falling.)
Any chance you will get married in the next few years? (Perhaps having dual incomes will increase price range.)
Any chance you will be working somewhere other than Westlake in the next few years? If so, where? (if the new job is east of Westlake, you are at the far west side of Southern California, may be a bad commute from Oxnard. This is one of the reasons I bought in Moorpark.)

Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 11,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
Fist post here.

Anyway I'm new here but I have been reading alot of posts from this forum. It seems like there are alot of great people here with alot of helpful information.

Well I'm a young professional in my late 20's looking to be a first time home buyer in Ventura County. I have lived in Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village my whole life and my job is in Westlake so I would like to remain in Ventura County.

I have been looking at homes that are in my price range which is around $280,000 - $350,000. I have been looking at single family home or detached condos. I found some newer detached Condos in the South East Oxnard near Port Hueneme (corner of Savier and Pleasant Valley). They seem to be very nice and resonably priced. I'm not too familiar with this area but I have been checking the crime data on Oxnard PD and it doesn't seem all that great. That is my only reservation about having my heart set in this area. Otherwise I really like the georaphical surrounding including the beach and the pier. I have always liked that area because I used to go fishing off the pier as a teenager. I never lived there so I dont know much. If any one can shed some lights I would really appreciate that.

My other choice is Simi Valley, somewhere between Royal and Los Angeles near Madera. The homes area older and somewhat affordable. What I find is some of these homes need alot of work. I know the weather in Simi Valley in the summer can be pretty hot. The plus side to Simi is it that the crime rate is low. My only gripe about Simi is the house are so old and I figured I can get a nicer and new looking place on the South East of Oxnard.

Oxnard is one of those towns trhat has nice areas and bad areas. the area you are talking abut is not a bad neighborhood at all. there are def. places i would not go at night, but most of oxnard is pretty safe during the day. you are right about getting a new house for cheaper. i have never been thrilled with the houses in simi.

simi can be incredibly hot. in oxnard, even if its hot, its just a 5-15 minute drive to the beach. it usually is a lot cooler than simi though.

i grew up in newbury, have spent a lot of time in simi, and currently live in east ventura. i would never in a million years live in simi. its hot, the people are awful, and everything abut the place just sucks to me. ventura has more of a laid back feel, its cool, the people are a lot nicer.

the only negative thing i can find so far is the drive. simi-westlake is uch nicer than oxnard-westlake. but its not that bad, if you dont mind a 20-30 minute drive everyday. the simi drive would probably be more like 15-25

Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
I have been looking at homes that are in my price range which is around $280,000 - $350,000. I have been looking at single family home or detached condos. I found some newer detached Condos in the South East Oxnard near Port Hueneme (corner of Savier and Pleasant Valley).
Saviers and Pleasant Valley is not the best area of Oxnard.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I agree with Winston Smith here, that is not the best area of town. Why not just move to Port Hueneme where things are a little nicer at then end of the world. Plenty of other areas in the city that are in your price range that are much safer and have more going for them. One development that I like within your range is near Victoria and 5th street. The units are condo townhomes with no more that 3 units to a building. Older homes in that area are also within that range. There is also a home at California Cove that is listed at $340,000. Just 2 years ago homes in the California Cove area were selling from $650,000 to $998,000. California Cove is near Ventura road and Vineyard on the north end of town. Look in the north end, west end, and North East part of the city first.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:25 PM

17 posts, read 128,848 times
Saviers and Pleasant Valley is not the best area of Oxnard

Look in the north end, west end, and North East part of the city first.

My thoughts indeed. My daughter (a young professional as well) recently bought a condo on Nandina (off Vineyard). Nice condo, nice size (3+2, 1200 sq. ft+), great price (lower 200s), very quiet area. You may want to look in that area as well. It's close to shopping, eating, and the freeway is less than 5 mins away (great for your trip to Westlake for work).

Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM

36 posts, read 85,248 times
Congratulations 24hr7 on choosing your place in East Village Seabreeze! Glad to know Oxnard won you over Simi Valley. Prepare to enjoy the MUCH cooler summers here and Oxnard's continuous positive growth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County