Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 AM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
All I know is that it was freezing cold today with a steady wind. Wouldn't have given it a second thought a month ago, but after that 80 degree weather, it just hits you all the harder. Always appreciate your weather info, Cambium!
No prob. Thanks! I enjoy everyones posts, especially the observation ones. We need ground confirmation most of the time so hopefully everyone continues to post what they see or had. I would also love a history buff for Vermont to tell us what has happened in the past. Maybe with some stats. :-)

Looks like some snow squalls came through early morning as predicted.

Heres the radar loop of it from 4:15am to 6:15am.

BTV -
AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE NORTH OF THE GREAT LAKES WILL TRACK
SOUTHEASTWARD AND AFFECT THE NORTH COUNTRY TODAY AND TONIGHT.
PERIODS OF LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW ARE EXPECTED DURING THE PRE-DAWN
HOURS...WITH A COATING TO AN INCH POSSIBLE ACROSS THE HIGHER
ELEVATIONS. OTHERWISE...CLOUDY SKIES WILL PREVAIL TODAY WITH
PERIODS OF RAIN SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED...FOLLOWED BY A MIX OF RAIN
AND SNOW SHOWERS TONIGHT

AS OF 353 AM EDT WEDNESDAY...AREA OF LOW PRESSURE (996MB) JUST
NORTH OF LAKE SUPERIOR EARLY THIS MORNING WILL TRACK ESEWD JUST
NORTH OF THE GREAT LKS AND THEN INTO NRN NY AND VT AROUND 00Z
THURS

PRECIPITATION AMTS IN PERIODS OF
-SHRA STILL GENERALLY LIGHT...RANGING FROM ABOUT 0.10" ACROSS
S-CENTRAL VT UP TO 0.30"(Very Light)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 AM

Quick Morning update on March 31st storm.

After tonights event, the next one is Friday night/Saturday morning.

NAM is the most agressive with precip amounts and brings 8-10" of snow into southern VT/. The others models do not. So just a light heads up. I'll see if there's any NWS updates later.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM

Its amazing to see a December like "pattern" in the NorthEast now for April. Not exact temps at all but the systems, moisture, trough, and Canadien High pressures...and now Blocking up north queezing the cool air down.

Long range continues to show below normal temps and even snow down the road. I dont think we'll see blockbuster storms until next year but hey...mother nature has last say.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
i wonder if we will see any "significant accumulation" (not sure what is considered significant) for the rest of the year?

I saw this page
Snowfall - Average Total In Inches

Says avg snowfall for Burlington in April is 4".
unfortunately no info on the mountain areas.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
I wonder which model the local stations use. They have been dead on this whole winter. This for the Burlington area that I am commenting on. What the local stations are giving us is mid 40's for tomorrow with just below freezing temps at night and then the extended forecast is sunny in the mid to low 50's and above freezing temps at night. They are not predicting precipitation. The radar right now is showing rain to a mix, but I just came in the house and nothing is making it to the ground.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I wonder which model the local stations use. They have been dead on this whole winter. This for the Burlington area that I am commenting on. What the local stations are giving us is mid 40's for tomorrow with just below freezing temps at night and then the extended forecast is sunny in the mid to low 50's and above freezing temps at night. They are not predicting precipitation. The radar right now is showing rain to a mix, but I just came in the house and nothing is making it to the ground.
Good question regarding the local stations. Theres only 3 Major long range models Euro, GFS, CMC. Then as time gets closer mid range includes NAM and SREF. Nowcast models best one is HRRR. Most of the time its a blend of 2 + their own opinion based on experience in latest trends.

Yeah, snow might be falling above you but not reaching ground (flakes drying up). Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i wonder if we will see any "significant accumulation" (not sure what is considered significant) for the rest of the year?

Says avg snowfall for Burlington in April is 4".
unfortunately no info on the mountain areas.
I personally consider "significant" as more than 6". NWS might think differently. I think small storms will cross through in April maybe getting you to that average number, maybe more being the pattern favors cooler weather for April.

Here's a list of all the totals since records began in 1885. I see some April accumulations past few years. Big one in 2000. Wow.

NOAA's National Weather Service - Burlington, VT - Monthly Snowfall Totals

Old 03-29-2012, 07:17 PM

As far as upcoming. Any sprinkles or snow showers will end after midnight as High pressure rolls in drying things out.

The Friday night storm will stay south of VT. Its funny seeing NWS locations south near here scramble to figure out whats going on. Its so hard to call snow being almost April. I think Northern CT and MA will see accumulations. Even parts of saouthern NY higher elevations. We'll see. Not a big storm at all though.

Then next week maybe something affect VT. Havent gotten around to looking at that yet.

Current Surface and Radar. Theres the high Pressure in Canada which will help bring cool air down.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Winter is officially over in Vermont for my purposes. Thanks for the updates all season. It helped me feel connected.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:14 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Winter is officially over in Vermont for my purposes. Thanks for the updates all season. It helped me feel connected.
Ya, hopefully this summer will be cooler than last year.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Some virga getting into VT but there will be a sharp cutoff of no snow and snow as the precip starts sliding south. Southern VT if anything has a better chance of white stuff.

It was amazing to see the rain change to snow after the sun when down. It will be interesting to see how far south it gets.

Catskills in southern NY could see half foot.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont