Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 AM

274 posts, read 673,670 times

Advertisements

Congrats SugarMama!

We love all those things too. I am actually a native upstate NYer (adirondack foothills) and grew up with all that you described but always loved Vermont more for some reason. I came here by way of Boston and NH first and love it. I am so happy for my kids right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 AM

43 posts, read 138,625 times
Thank you we're beyond thrilled!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,912 times
Hi, I live in Atlanta (Lawrenceville) and am considering Burlington. Do you think that would be an improvement (schools, quality of life)? WOuld we be giving up too much by leaving the big city?
Thanks

Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fin1nfr View Post
Hi, I live in Atlanta (Lawrenceville) and am considering Burlington. Do you think that would be an improvement (schools, quality of life)? WOuld we be giving up too much by leaving the big city?
This is a totally subjective measure. For me, moving to Atlanta would mean giving up way too much by leaving the "country" (actually a much smaller Vermont city than Burlington). I'm from Miami and have lived in NYC and Boston so I know what big cities offer, but even Burlington is too much "big city" for my taste.

So what do you love about the big city? What can you imagine missing? What do you think you can't live without (remembering that you might surprise yourself)? If you tell us those things, we can tell you more about what Burlington does and does not offer.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 PM

103 posts, read 301,320 times
I love walking around North Bennington, Vermont. The little main street area (Powers Market/Pangaea Lounge/Kevin's) is great to eat out and not terribly expensive necessarily. And swimming in Lake Paran at night! Also that car insurance in Vermont is literally 1/10th of what it was in the north shore on Massachusetts for the same coverage!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:33 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,691 times
FYI car insurance was deregulated in MA. Much cheaper now, inline with VT although it varies by town. Geico is available in MA now as well.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:45 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,038 times
There are a lot of variables in auto insurance - everywhere. Distance driven to work being just one of them. I found that out recently as my wife took a job closer to home. Saved us about $100 a year.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,298 times
Default where to go?

I am planning to relocate to Vermont and would like some help. I'm looking for a quiet little rural town with a charming downtown. My dream is to work in a little bakery that serves wonderful coffee and I want to rent a room in a large victorian home that is walking distance from the little bakery. I want to go to work early in the morning and see the same people come in for coffe and baked goods every day. I'm in my mid 50's, have left the corporate world, love the outdoors and animals. I want to also volunteer at an animal shelter there. I now live in a small town in TN but want to get back to my northern roots (orig. from Mich.) Thanks for helping with my dream!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,298 times
I also forgot to mention that I'm looking for an area with rolling, green pastures--not interested in water or the mountains, really. I love the pastoral areas. A small, quiet, quaint, beautiful downtown area with cozy coffee shops. Large old victorian homes in town with rooms for rent. Yeah! If I can find it, I'm ready to go!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietinthecountry View Post
I also forgot to mention that I'm looking for an area with rolling, green pastures--not interested in water or the mountains, really. I love the pastoral areas. A small, quiet, quaint, beautiful downtown area with cozy coffee shops. Large old victorian homes in town with rooms for rent. Yeah! If I can find it, I'm ready to go!
Hmm, I think you just described Montpelier. You can try Craigslist for rentals but of course most of the listings are in the Burlington area. Here are rental listings from the Barre Montpelier Times Argus classifieds (click on Real Estate for Rent in the left column).

Montpelier has plenty of yummy bakery/coffee shops. There's also this gem in Middlesex, the next town west:
Red Hen Baking Company - Organic, hearth-baked, artisan breads from Middlesex, Vermont

Montpelier even has two animal organizations to volunteer with. There's the Central Vermont Humane Society. There's also one of my favorite nonprofit animal organizations ever, which my husband and I support, the first stationary low-cost spay/neuter clinic in Vermont: VT-CAN!, located just barely over the line out of Montpelier in Middlesex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont