Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 09:42 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,790,840 times

Advertisements

Here's a nice piece of Sally Pollak's from today's Burlington Free Press.
My son's goaltender on Noor's team. I'm looking forward to the rest of this proposed series, which will run on an occasional basis in the Free Press.

Burlington Free Press.com | Top Stories

David Beckett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:19 AM

275 posts, read 1,289,615 times
We have been temporarily delayed in our move to New England, but we are still coming. New Hampshire, Vermont, or Maine.....look out!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM

25 posts, read 74,799 times
The things i love about vermont are the back roads, the smell of freshly cut trees, the variety of wildlife,the ma and pa stores with homemade cookies, cutting your own christmas tree with the FAMILY. I think thats the best thing about VT,the focus we put on family.No amount of money can replace beauty, nature or time.Lifes short so do what you feel is right for you. I have two sons and I can't think of a better place to be.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Up - for dwiggin3.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,137,592 times
Default I ♥ Vermont

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Let's show people why People choose to live here and raise a family here. We all know the vast majority of the people here are Great. but tell us how great it is to live here.
I was born in Miami Beach and lived in South Florida until I was old enough to leave. Then I moved to New England. Eleven years ago, I moved to Vermont. I believe I'd like to stay here for the rest of my life.

What do I love?

The pace of life suits me. For example, waiting through one light cycle constitutes heavy traffic. (Needless to say, I don't live around Burlington.)

The people are friendly but not effusive. I like the low-key way we help each other and accept our differences and disagreements. With few exceptions, my experience here is very live-and-let-live.

Companion animals are treated better here than in most parts of the world I've lived or visited. Spay/neuter is much more utilized and pets are generally treated as family members. (Nowhere is perfect, but I've seen far worse than Vermont!)

The scenery is gorgeous. It calms me just to get out and look around.

It's safe. I can walk in town day or night. I don't need to live in a gated neighborhood to feel safe at home.

There are much larger cities where I order something vegan and waitstaff goes, "Huh?!" Even in little Rutland, people generally know what I mean and are willing to accommodate.

Eating local is a gift that I try never to take for granted. We buy most of our food from people we've met, and have visited some of their farms. They care about us and we care about them.

I may always be a "flatlander" but no one has ever tried to run me off or make me feel bad because of it. Hey, I'm from Miami Beach -- I know what it feels like to have your turf overrun by visitors from elsewhere.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Pet care while away

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Only big problem is the need to board my diabetic cat when I am away. Expense and guilt!
I hear you! Have you considered hiring a catsitter? When we go away, we have a trusted someone basically move into our house and become mom (or dad) to our four cats until we return. The cats and house stay occupied and safe and we are able to relax (mostly) while we're gone.

Many vet techs and other veterinary office staff earn extra $$ by petsitting. You could call vet offices and ask who they recommend for petsitters who actually stay overnight.

We pay petsitters $35 - $50 per day, depending on their experience and the level of service they provide. (One of them is so good that if I win the lottery I will pay her to live near us always and be ready to care for our cats if anything happens to us.)

Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Vermont Morning hot cereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Now I eat "Vermont Morning" hot breakfast cereal...
Mmmmmmmm! I love that stuff.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 AM

After yesterday's delightful day at Mad River Glen, I'll happily put this unique ski area on the list of things that are great about Vermont. Even though yesterday's day ticket price of $3.50 is rare - and even though (perplexingly) the skiers there voted not to allow snowboards...

David Beckett

Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 PM

259 posts, read 1,325,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
the skiers there voted not to allow snowboards...

David Beckett
David, when snowboarders (1) stop all that incessant sideslipping (and icing out the run); (2) stop sitting around in gangs in the middle of runs; (3) stop smoking and cursing in the liftlines to name a few bad habits, we, the skiers, will be more receptive.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM

On this we'll have to disagree:

I'm a skier too (and I saw plenty of ice yesterday, although there were no snowboards allowed).

I decided to enthusiastically share the road with motorcyclists, and the slopes with snowboarders a while ago. Bad behavior doesn't seem to me to have much to do with what tool is used to make turns...

DB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont