Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewillitland View Post
well it is a very rural state but also a liberal one at that, which is a sort of anamoly for america (while it shouldn't be an anamoly. )
It's true. We're pretty liberal. We have liberal gun laws, a liberal Republican governor, and we're pretty liberal with the road salt, too, by Jeezum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
It's true. We're pretty liberal. We have liberal gun laws, a liberal Republican governor, and we're pretty liberal with the road salt, too, by Jeezum.

That's funny- thanks for the laugh

Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 AM

Lots of folks are pretty surprised when they find out about Vermont's gun laws.

Gentleman Jim can be a bit of a surprise too, upon first meeting him...

Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,815 times
Default why.

The winter is cold. The roads are tricky. But as someone who grew up in California (Los Angeles!) and experienced the beauty of Vermont as a young adult, I can tell you, your state is a dream. Since the first time I landed in Burlington, and experienced an airport that smelled like fresh cut grass, and streams and lakes and true American history - I have worked every moment of my life to return and live in your beautiful state. Appreciate your seasons and your natural beauty and really, mostly, the kindest, hardest working people I've ever met. I would be honored to call myself a Vermonter.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the uplifting post.

We've got our economic difficulties here, of course. But I saw 60 minutes last night and it seems California is in really dire straights. Best of luck with the economy in CA.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
We've got our economic difficulties here, of course. But I saw 60 minutes last night and it seems California is in really dire straights. Best of luck with the economy in CA.

I know someone who recently moved here from Hawaii. She says that Hawaii is very dire straits and Vermont is doing much better by comparison. She's really grateful to be here for that and other reasons, including that she loves the land and the people. She seems to be feeling really at home.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 AM

Interesting...

I know several people who have lived for long stretches in Hawaii - who moved back to the Burlington area. Ditto California.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,502,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTdreams View Post
The winter is cold. The roads are tricky. But as someone who grew up in California (Los Angeles!) and experienced the beauty of Vermont as a young adult, I can tell you, your state is a dream. Since the first time I landed in Burlington, and experienced an airport that smelled like fresh cut grass, and streams and lakes and true American history - I have worked every moment of my life to return and live in your beautiful state. Appreciate your seasons and your natural beauty and really, mostly, the kindest, hardest working people I've ever met. I would be honored to call myself a Vermonter.
Well, I moved to Brattleboro from my native Brooklyn, NY, about 4 months ago, after about 2 years of research.

I fell in love with the New England mountains when I was a child.

Now I am here. And, in view of the history and culture of this state, I am honored to call myself a Vermonter.

I am also proud of being a New Yorker. Or at least an ex-New Yorker.

I still love New York, but I can't think of any place in NYC, Brooklyn included, where I would want to live.

I am among my own. There are lots of ex-New Yorkers in Brattleboro. The other day I walked into a store on Main Street and the woman behind the desk had an unmistakable Brooklyn accent. She confirmed that she is originally from Brooklyn. And then another customer in the store said that she, too, is from Brooklyn.

I must admit, though, that I was happy to live 2 minutes away rather than 5 hours away!

I'll visit Burlington eventually. I have been there, actually, but not for a very long time. Right now, though, my stomping grounds are southeastern Vermont, Southwestern New Hampshire and western (I-91 corridor) Massachusetts, with a rare trip to southern Rhode Island. This is my home now. And it feels like home, even after only 4 months.

I don't miss the ocean, as I feared I would. And I certainly do not miss the traffic congestion, the crowded subways, the endless asphalt and concrete, the overbearing, in-your-face rudeness, the materialism, the anger or the crime. I think I do miss the museums, but I rarely visited them when I lived in NYC.

What I like here: I like the open spaces, the mountains, the choices of quasi-urban, suburban or rural environments, the local arts culture, the combination of rural life (sort of) and a more urban cosmopolitanism and, of course the people. The people are friendly, gentle, soft-spoken (not loud and overbearing like a lot of New Yorkers), intelligent and genuinely public-spirited.

Recently, there was a big fire and several low-income families were burned out of their apartments. I happened to meet one of the displaced people. She spoke, with gratitude, about how the town has pulled together to help.

We have a winter Overflow Shelter where the homeless can get dinner, a place to sleep and breakfast. The local faith communities have banded together and coordinated a schedle for staffing the shelter, which is located in one of the local churches. Of course, it would be better for there to be no homelessness, but that is a different matter.

I'm sure this community spirit is not unique to Brattleboro, or even to Vermont. But it is sure nice to see.

New York has its own sense of community, but, unless there is a city-wide disaster, such as 9-11, a blackout, or even a water shortage, community tends to be manifested at more of a decentralized, human scale, such as in a neighborhood or in a religious or ethnic community, or other communty of common interest.

Last edited by arel; 02-09-2009 at 11:12 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
I do admit that despite our current difficulties, places like California are in much rougher shape. I have met quite a few folks who served active duty in Hawaii, and despite the obvious benefits which we visualize with Hawaii, they do and have had their share of problems, especially with the cost of living. They were all glad to be there three to four years, but did not have the desire to remain permanently. Vermont does have many wonderful attributes and most that are here are appreciative of them, we just have to keep the legislators feet to the fire to try and make it more affordable here. Spring is around the corner and with that comes an uplifting in mood despite all the current affairs. Over the past two days I have noticed quite a few Robins. I know they don't all migrate, but seeing them really made my day.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:19 PM

45 posts, read 74,002 times
Another great thing about Vermont? That all of you posters have loved it enough to keep this thread alive for 2 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont