Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:06 AM

98 posts, read 351,606 times

Advertisements

Sorry for delayed response you guys. I wasn't near the computer all day.

I was looking through some local paper classifieds online last night & found a LOT of rental houses at $1k or less, found one in Brandon for $850 I think...(I had heard previously of this area as a potential area to look at)... most accepted pets.

Thanks Sherylcatmom re: info. It is extremely valuable to me. I get the feeling we could not only provide much needed art supplies to the area, but also some jobs. I would rather have a local storefront than the online biz (could always do online sales along side)... I am a big supporter of local business & local sustainable economies which is one major reason we decided to move to VT.

We are getting so psyched to go to VT and may go in Dec rather than Jan... but we have so much to do first. I wish one of us could go and one could stay here but that is just impossible.

All these links you provided (throughout this entire topic/thread) are so valuable to us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,146,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groens View Post
I would rather have a local storefront than the online biz (could always do online sales along side)... I am a big supporter of local business & local sustainable economies which is one major reason we decided to move to VT.
Organization you might want to connect with:

Sustainable Rutland | Rutland, Vermont

I know the good folks doing this work. In face, I was set to join them when my husband developed a serious illness. He's doing much better now and when my life is something more resembling "normal" once again, I might give it another shot.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks Sherylcatmom re: info. It is extremely valuable to me. I get the feeling we could not only provide much needed art supplies to the area, but also some jobs. I would rather have a local storefront than the online biz (could always do online sales along side)...

Two other orgs that have tons of info and sometimes offer incentives to businesses opening in Downtown Rutland (such as friends of ours who applied for & got a year's free rent for their artisans' cooperative downtown storefront!):

Welcome to Downtown Rutland Vermont, Rutland business directory guide.

Rutland Economic Development Corporation - REDC - Business in Vermont, business financing, business counseling, industrial/commercial site assistance, liaison for state and federal programs and educational opportunities

Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 AM

302 posts, read 870,468 times
Eight pages and nobody mentioned Brattleboro????

Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
Eight pages and nobody mentioned Brattleboro????

That would be a rather large oversight! But never fear, I mentioned Brat in my first response on the first page of this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermont/825609-escaping-texas-relocating-vermont.html

Old 12-01-2009, 11:18 AM

I figured Brat was a given.... It's a bit pricey for us, though. They do have an art supply store there too...

Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM

So is it snowing in VT already this year? We're supposed to have snow here in Houston on Friday! We've actually been getting snow more and more the past couple of years-- odd to see snow on the beach...The other day it was cooler here than in Burlington

Old 12-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
So is it snowing in VT already this year? We're supposed to have snow here in Houston on Friday! We've actually been getting snow more and more the past couple of years-- odd to see snow on the beach...The other day it was cooler here than in Burlington

Facebook friends in other parts of Vermont posted flurries & large flakes this morning. We didn't see any precip in Rutland City today.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Facebook friends in other parts of Vermont posted flurries & large flakes this morning. We didn't see any precip in Rutland City today.
how much snow does rutland or brandon usually get? i know further north is more... just didn't know how much (in inches or feet)

we got 6-8 inches here last year & '05; weather is getting more extreme (really hot-- as in 21+ days in a row over 100 degrees-- in summer & snow in winter which is odd for the gulf coast) -- huge changes over the past 20-30 years...

any similar changes in VT?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,674,590 times
Vermont weather has seen some extreme changes as well (a national trend). It all depends on the the year here. This year it's December and we are still flirting with 50 degree days with rain expected. A few years ago we had a stretch of below zero weather at this point with a couple of feet of snow( we usually don't see below zero weather until Jan and Feb). Our summer weather is hit or miss as well. The last two summers have been cool and very wet (I believe the most rain on record for the state). I'm not sure about Rutland, but I live in one of the typically warmer areas of the state. Up until the first week of August we were averaging in the high sixties to mid seventies. Snow is the same thing. One year we will get hit with a large amount of snow and at other times only a few feet. On average it depends on where you live and the day it snows. You should expect to see anywhere from one to two feet of snow on the ground at any given time. As you go north or to the central areas of the state the snowfall amounts will significantly increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont