Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,136,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I'm not sure about Rutland, but I live in one of the typically warmer areas of the state.
Rutland is not as warm as Brattleboro or Bennington but it's definitely warmer & less snowy than points farther north and in higher elevations. Even surrounding towns get noticeably more snow that Rutland. Sometimes when it's raining here and I drive through Killington or even 103 through Ludlow, it's snowing there.

In the last two years when I've been traveling frequently to Montpelier, I've noticed much more snow downtown than in Rutland. Montpelier had huge thick snowbanks piled up from the plows, almost no sidewalks left and on some streets (it seemed) barely room for oncoming cars to pass each other. Rutland almost never has that, at least in my 13 years here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:17 PM

98 posts, read 351,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Rutland is not as warm as Brattleboro or Bennington but it's definitely warmer & less snowy than points farther north and in higher elevations. Even surrounding towns get noticeably more snow that Rutland. Sometimes when it's raining here and I drive through Killington or even 103 through Ludlow, it's snowing there.

In the last two years when I've been traveling frequently to Montpelier, I've noticed much more snow downtown than in Rutland. Montpelier had huge thick snowbanks piled up from the plows, almost no sidewalks left and on some streets (it seemed) barely room for oncoming cars to pass each other. Rutland almost never has that, at least in my 13 years here.
wow! I can count on one hand how many times it's snowed in Houston in the past 37 years
I would imagine that us moving in or around Rutland or within driving distance might be a better transition weather-wise... I just LOVE cold weather. The coldest I've ever had here is 17 or 19... but that was many years ago. I love the idea of a white winter!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:33 PM

894 posts, read 1,560,746 times
Your personal weather scale of what cold is might get readjusted after living in VT. Enjoy.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groens View Post
I would imagine that us moving in or around Rutland or within driving distance might be a better transition weather-wise...
I love cold weather, too. Still, this is an extreme difference from Houston. Houston's weather is so different from any part of Vermont that I wonder if you'd even notice the difference between Rutland and other parts.

I really don't think people can know how they'll feel about New England winters until they've experienced a few. Many people leave because of the weather here. Many more complain bitterly.

To be clear, I love it. I wouldn't want to give up New England winters. But I couldn't know that before living through a bunch of them.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Your personal weather scale of what cold is might get readjusted after living in VT. Enjoy.
Fortunately, I have experienced bone-chilling cold so I'm not going in blind. Hubby, however, hasn't.
Then again, some people have never experienced 21 + days straight of brutal 105 F with 90+% humidity.
We're not the kind of people who bundle up when it's 40 degrees outside like some people. I don't even turn on the heat unless it hits 40 usually & even still I don't crank it up. Here, on the news, they call 40 "cold".
When I lived in the Pyrenees, I had no electricity, no heat except for a fireplace. I used the window sill (indoors) as my refridgerator, the hall (kindof like a long mudroom) as food freezer storage, and the back terrace was my unlimited extra freezer space I was just fine.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groens View Post
When I lived in the Pyrenees, I had no electricity, no heat except for a fireplace. I used the window sill (indoors) as my refridgerator, the hall (kindof like a long mudroom) as food freezer storage, and the back terrace was my unlimited extra freezer space I was just fine.

Oh, right! I forgot that about you. It will be an adventure to see how your husband adapts.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Oh, right! I forgot that about you. It will be an adventure to see how your husband adapts.
Yeah-- I told him how cold it could get & he didn't seem to care at all. He just said "why don't you just go inside if you're cold?" Kinda like what I said LOL
he's just looking forward to cool summers (in the 80's! wow!!!!! heat index/ humidity can make it feel like 115-118 at times here)

Old 12-03-2009, 01:39 PM

Speaking of cold... it's supposed to snow tomorrow (1" - 3") & be in the 20's... 2 years in a row! Strange.... it's only snowed 33 times in Houston since 1895!
I was looking at VT weather on the weather channel and wondering if it's cooler here than there at the moment... it was last week!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,193,786 times
I left Houston 13 years ago without one single regret and am happy as a clam in Northern Vt. While I used to "freeze" at 65, I had acclimated the first year and shovel snow in shorts all winter. Many misperceptions are that one is limited with the cold winters, but in reality you are more limited in Houston with the heat/humidity. You can always put on more clothes and I even had 1200 a month a/c bills. (a wimpy husband) I would recommend buying a house versus renting since it is not the same market at all, in comparison. As for property taxes? While you have a tax bill, it is offset by your income and I pay basically the same as I did in Houston. (comparing same style/price houses) However the peace of mind is priceless. I haven't locked my car or house since I've been here. It has even got to the point that all my family, which still lives there, comes here to visit every year. I flat out refuse to go back. So, there is a two thumbs up for Vermont and if you are seeking to return to a more simple, peaceful way of life with really good people for neighbors? Pack your bags.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:48 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,681,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Vermont would never meet your criteria at twice the prices you mention.
Look at a map of upstate NY,draw a line from Syracuse to Albany,exclude Saratoga,which like VT is a yuppified , nouveau riche playground- and many places will. Esp. St.Lawrence and Washington counties.

Also the Finger Lakes region and the line of counties bordering PA, called the southern tier.
Also rural NY is prettier and much more like the VT of 50 years ago than VT is.
I know,I was there!
There are several towns in Saratoga that are not yuppified: Northunderland, Moreau, Wilton, Quaker Springs, Schuylerville to name a few. Many have pretty rural areas. Saratoga Springs might be classified as yuppified by some, but 10 miles out it is an entirely different lifestyle. Those areas have RE within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont