Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2024, 02:29 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,735,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The trophy finally popped yesterday after about twelve hours of auto-battling. I had to intervene maybe an hour of that - most of it ran during meetings. Apparently I missed a missable bestiary entry in the World of Balance. I pretty much just rage-completed the game to get it over with.

Maybe it was missing the platinum, the fact that the PR games kind of all run together, but I felt a little wanting after completing VI. The final bosses are great, and it's easily the best game of 1-6, but FF for me will always "begin" at VII.
Dang that's rough. I played FFVI for the first time in over a decade last year and missed a few enemies in the World of Balance, even though I have played the game countless times. I wanted to get all of Gau's Veldt rages, and that requires most of the bestiary entries, so I started a new game just to get the enemy encounters I had missed. And that was on the original release which wasn't even for a trophy. I normally will not do an entire second run of a game just to get an achievement (*cough cough*, FFIX), so I can understand your frustration. For what it's worth, FFXIII has some missable bestiary entries, but you only need to get 100 of them for the loremaster trophy. I guess it's possible to miss that trophy, but you won't need a perfect run to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 08:58 PM

6,812 posts, read 4,254,250 times
I've been playing a ton of BG3 for the last couple of months. There's stuff in the game I'm not a fan of, the pacing is uneven, it's pretty damn buggy, certain social messages make your eyes roll for their heavy-handed obviousness, the plot has quite a few holes, it's probably somewhat oversexed, but I still enjoy it a great deal. It's set a new standard for customization and variety in terms how you can experience the game, and it is overall the best fantasy type RPG ever released.

I tried to play Elden Ring, but it's a button masher. I've never had a ton of time for button mashers, especially not games where that is the central focus of the game. And if you didn't like this type of game as a teenager, you probably won't get into it 20+ years later. It'd be a major disappointment given the hype and the genre appeal, if BG3 hadn't also come out with a combat system tailormade for strategy/RPG veterans.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:40 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Playing Dragon Age 2. The visuals are, unsurpisingly, much better than Dragon Age Origins. Gameplay is definitely better and it does help playing the previous game to know more about the background and lore. The difficulty curve is insane for me at the beginning. I was dying constantly and was getting so mad. Only after I started leveling up did I finally start to not die as much.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 254 times
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. You really don't find games like that anymore. Compared to the newer games, it's the least hand hold-y game in the series. I need to pay attention to the dialogue and journal as the game doesn't give you fast travel or any waypoint markers. It definitely isn't beginner friendly for most modern gamers, though I still enjoyed it just as much as I did years back and sort of wish games could be like that again.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:14 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Assassins Creed Mirage

I'm really liking it. I skipped Valhalla & Odyssey because the maps & length to beat became too large for my taste, plus the emphasis away from stealth. This a nice return to the older format.
That's the next game I just finished. Overall I enjoyed it as it does bring back the old feeling of the originals. Only think I didn't like is the controls and occasional glitches that made it feel too much like the older times.

I started playing the first one again on PS3. I haven't played any of the other newer ones but enjoyed I-IV.

Old 02-26-2024, 05:25 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That's the next game I just finished. Overall I enjoyed it as it does bring back the old feeling of the originals. Only think I didn't like is the controls and occasional glitches that made it feel too much like the older times.

I started playing the first one again on PS3. I haven't played any of the other newer ones but enjoyed I-IV.
I finished the main story of Mirage this weekend & now I'm finishing up getting some of the collectibles. I really liked the game & it made me love the series again. It was a little hard at first until I got some more tools & got the stealth part down. But then after that jail level the game started flowing for me.

I ordered Odyssey to play next which I know is a lot different than Mirage.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:44 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Dang that's rough. I played FFVI for the first time in over a decade last year and missed a few enemies in the World of Balance, even though I have played the game countless times. I wanted to get all of Gau's Veldt rages, and that requires most of the bestiary entries, so I started a new game just to get the enemy encounters I had missed. And that was on the original release which wasn't even for a trophy. I normally will not do an entire second run of a game just to get an achievement (*cough cough*, FFIX), so I can understand your frustration. For what it's worth, FFXIII has some missable bestiary entries, but you only need to get 100 of them for the loremaster trophy. I guess it's possible to miss that trophy, but you won't need a perfect run to do it.
It's possible that I might play it again at some point, but I really doubt I'll do any of the PRs again. It worked fine for the shorter games, but VI just feels too big and ambitious for the format. I'm just burnt out on them.

I started IX last week. I owned a copy of the original years ago. I played it again at some point on iOS - have a ~30h save file on my phone. I'm most of the way through the game now at about 16H using the boosts. I'll probably finish it today.

I'm getting what trophies I reasonably can along the way, but the platinum for this is mind-boggling without using scripts and remote play for the jump rope trophy. I could definitely see myself playing this again someday though.

I've sort of set myself a goal now to finish all the mainline FFs in one calendar year. Since July, I've platinumed FF1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 13-2, and 16. I've beaten 2 (most trophies), Remake (most trophies), and Crisis Core as well. I started Lightning Returns last week, but didn't want to take my PS3 to my girlfriend's last weekend. I'm several hours into 5 - I'll probably nibble at that as I get bored with other things.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
It's possible that I might play it again at some point, but I really doubt I'll do any of the PRs again. It worked fine for the shorter games, but VI just feels too big and ambitious for the format. I'm just burnt out on them.
If this was your first time playing VI, there was no way you would have achieved 100% of the bestiary, nor would you have known there was anything other than the World of Balance. Going off faulty memory, the major missables were enemies in a Narshe cave where you intentionally have to activate the light barrier in order to get, a rare game green grenade enemy in some offshoot woodsy area, some on the Ghost Train, and later in the game the enemies in Cyan's dream. Maybe a few others. It would just take some research on where they're all at, but most of the rest are not super hidden like in some of the other titles, but maybe that's just because I'm so familiar with the game. Briefing the trophy list, they added getting all the hidden treasures, too. Arduous for anyone new to that game. But, if a first impression didn't really resonate for you, then yeah. All good, though. It will be interesting to go through FFVI's trophies whenever it is I will play the pixel remasters. I have wanted to check out that bundle since it came out, especially since FFV was never released in the U.S. for the Super Nintendo, and I'm finally devoting the time to play all of the Final Fantasy games. I'm pretty much expecting the first three to be more for historical/lore purposes than anything else, but we'll see.

Quote:
I started IX last week. I owned a copy of the original years ago. I played it again at some point on iOS - have a ~30h save file on my phone. I'm most of the way through the game now at about 16H using the boosts. I'll probably finish it today.

I'm getting what trophies I reasonably can along the way, but the platinum for this is mind-boggling without using scripts and remote play for the jump rope trophy. I could definitely see myself playing this again someday though.
Seriously. It's insane. I at least did a speed run for the Excalibur trophy because I wanted to do it while all the memories of the locations were still fresh for such a jaunt. After I saw the rest of the trophy list and that I needed what looked like several separate playthroughs to get them all, and then the jump rope one added to all of that, I was like, "nope." That's a lot of jumping through hoops for a bunch of arbitrary trophies, let alone jumping over ropes in Alexandria.

Quote:
I've sort of set myself a goal now to finish all the mainline FFs in one calendar year. Since July, I've platinumed FF1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 13-2, and 16. I've beaten 2 (most trophies), Remake (most trophies), and Crisis Core as well. I started Lightning Returns last week, but didn't want to take my PS3 to my girlfriend's last weekend. I'm several hours into 5 - I'll probably nibble at that as I get bored with other things.
I think I'm near the end of FFXIII-2, so I should have that wrapped up shortly. It has a lot of the elements I liked in the first one, but I don't think I will have the energy for getting the platinum due to the time travel plot structure, so I think I will shelve the platinum run on it for a later date on the schedule and move on to FFXIII: Lightning Returns.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:58 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
If this was your first time playing VI, there was no way you would have achieved 100% of the bestiary, nor would you have known there was anything other than the World of Balance. Going off faulty memory, the major missables were enemies in a Narshe cave where you intentionally have to activate the light barrier in order to get, a rare game green grenade enemy in some offshoot woodsy area, some on the Ghost Train, and later in the game the enemies in Cyan's dream. Maybe a few others. It would just take some research on where they're all at, but most of the rest are not super hidden like in some of the other titles, but maybe that's just because I'm so familiar with the game. Briefing the trophy list, they added getting all the hidden treasures, too. Arduous for anyone new to that game. But, if a first impression didn't really resonate for you, then yeah. All good, though. It will be interesting to go through FFVI's trophies whenever it is I will play the pixel remasters. I have wanted to check out that bundle since it came out, especially since FFV was never released in the U.S. for the Super Nintendo, and I'm finally devoting the time to play all of the Final Fantasy games. I'm pretty much expecting the first three to be more for historical/lore purposes than anything else, but we'll see.

Seriously. It's insane. I at least did a speed run for the Excalibur trophy because I wanted to do it while all the memories of the locations were still fresh for such a jaunt. After I saw the rest of the trophy list and that I needed what looked like several separate playthroughs to get them all, and then the jump rope one added to all of that, I was like, "nope." That's a lot of jumping through hoops for a bunch of arbitrary trophies, let alone jumping over ropes in Alexandria.

I think I'm near the end of FFXIII-2, so I should have that wrapped up shortly. It has a lot of the elements I liked in the first one, but I don't think I will have the energy for getting the platinum due to the time travel plot structure, so I think I will shelve the platinum run on it for a later date on the schedule and move on to FFXIII: Lightning Returns.
I used a Steam guide - who knows, maybe I overlooked something, maybe that monster wasn't listed. That said, losing 1/3xx in a missable bestiary to trip a platinum up makes people want to rage quit and not come back. Same thing happened to me in II.

Those games are all dated. I wish VI had gotten a better treatment - it truly felt too much for that PR format. Maybe if I had followed the progression as it occurred, I'd have a fonder memory - my playthrough of VI is about the three to four times as long as I, with the same format. I did love the final boss sequence at the end of VI.

I think finishing all the mainlines by July is probably feasible. I'm left with a bit of IX, most of V, X, XII, and XV. I got the final boss trophy for XIII when I played it when it came out, but I started it up again tonight.

That would make all the mainline games completed in a year. All of this has sort of shook up my all-time FF ratings from 1/1/2023 or so. FFT is probably still #1 overall. I'd rate the rest as somewhere VII OG > XIII-2 > XVI > IX > VIII - then there's a big gap beyond that.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Those games are all dated. I wish VI had gotten a better treatment - it truly felt too much for that PR format. Maybe if I had followed the progression as it occurred, I'd have a fonder memory - my playthrough of VI is about the three to four times as long as I, with the same format. I did love the final boss sequence at the end of VI.
There is a saying that that your first Final Fantasy will usually end up being your favorite. It would be possible but somewhat unusual for modern gamers to take to the older ones unless the retro vibe is what they like from time to time. Those games were written in a different time with extremely limited technology and storage space. A lot of gamers won't even go back and play them because "da graphics." When I replayed the original FFVI, I was surprised how well it held up, actually. You can see and feel the ambition being limited by the technology and format, but they packed in a ton of content. No one is going to like every game they ever play, though. Anyway, I won't belabor the point, I will likely have a lot more to write about VI when/if I play the pixel remaster to really give it, and the rest of them, a full take.

Quote:
That would make all the mainline games completed in a year. All of this has sort of shook up my all-time FF ratings from 1/1/2023 or so. FFT is probably still #1 overall. I'd rate the rest as somewhere VII OG > XIII-2 > XVI > IX > VIII - then there's a big gap beyond that.
Yeah, my rankings have been adjusted, too. VIII was my biggest surprise so far even with its faults. So was XII and XIII. I'm the odd C-D poster out on IX. It's my brother's favorite and he even had one of the songs from that game in his wedding.

For XIII-2, I thought I was going to wrap up the main campaign earlier but ran into a huge difficulty spike that comes out of nowhere in the last area and with the final boss. Had to do some extra grinding. The rest of the game was easy. Testing the waters on the trophies right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games