Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dorky Kid Buy a PS3 or an XBox 360 (and why)?
PS3 67 59.29%
XBox 360 46 40.71%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:55 PM

28 posts, read 105,836 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I recently purchased a PS3 for my husband and I bought it refurbished and it was still $400, it was higher b/c it could play both PS2 & PS3 games. I think it was a 20 gigabytes. My husband said it was a good deal b/c they stopped making them awhile ago and most are 60 gigs and higher.

But to answer your question, I had the same dilemma b/c I didn't want to spend that much money on a game system, I mean that's a car note, but from all the reports I've read about XBOX's ring of death, and now recently I've read that XBOX is being sued but a guy who says the game has damaged all his games & that XBOX may have known there are thousands of these games systems with these malfunctions. My brother-in-law has all three, Wii, PS3 & XBOX and at of them all, he's had no trouble with the P3.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for and the P3 is worth the money you pay, the graphics are awesome & haven't heard of any call-back b/c of manufacturers error.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by cangar; 12-23-2008 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cangar View Post
Sometimes, you get what you pay for and the P3 is worth the money you pay, the graphics are awesome & haven't heard of any call-back b/c of manufacturers error.
That's not to say that there are not certain issues with the PS3. I suggest people to read the "PS3 killed my 360" story for a good laugh or two.

Had a thread about my PS3, but it's buried. Long story short, I awoke one morning to find out that my PS3 partially lost its backwards compatibility. No joke. The game that I was just playing the night before would not work. I say partially as the system would still play a PSX game, but not any for PS2.

I had to do a full reformat of the disk drive along with a few other things. I lost a decent save for BoF: DQ as you cannot transfer saves for that game.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-05-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 12-24-2008, 12:39 PM

371 posts, read 1,762,089 times
Well, you cant guarantee that every system will work 100% great. There are faulty products with every company.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 PM

142 posts, read 273,126 times
thinking of buying a ps3 160 gb can anyone tell my if it is backwards compatible

Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
Well, you cant guarantee that every system will work 100% great. There are faulty products with every company.
True - but, when MS very strongly gives the appearance of looking if not only then mainly at the bottom dollar via all the cost-cutting and short-sighted avenues that they take w/ the 360 console, the Halo 3 packaging, and so on, it just gets so durn frustrating. Cause you know w/ their talent and financials, they could have come out with a very strong machine, w/o all of these issues, or at least to the extent that they have.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 PM

71 posts, read 174,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIEISTAZ View Post
thinking of buying a ps3 160 gb can anyone tell my if it is backwards compatible
yeah the new systems are not backwards compatible. pretty strange why they cut that feature on the newer ones, possibly to keep people buying ps2's? they came out with a slightly newer model only a few months ago, not much different, no power brick and looks slightly different. even coming out with new ps2 games these days. so yeah i'm thinking they just dont want the ps2 to die down. I like my ps3 and all, its a 40gb (not backwards compatible either =/) which was fine up until my ps2 broke about a year ago =[.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:19 PM

371 posts, read 1,762,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
True - but, when MS very strongly gives the appearance of looking if not only then mainly at the bottom dollar via all the cost-cutting and short-sighted avenues that they take w/ the 360 console, the Halo 3 packaging, and so on, it just gets so durn frustrating. Cause you know w/ their talent and financials, they could have come out with a very strong machine, w/o all of these issues, or at least to the extent that they have.
I was referring to the quote about the PS3

I do not like MS. Greedy Walmart-cousins....

Yeah, they cut out the backwards compatibilty to save money. They are losing money with every system they sell, even with the cuts.

HOWEVER, I suspect they will release the PS2 library on PSN once they stop making the PS2.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the quote about the PS3

I do not like MS. Greedy Walmart-cousins....

Yeah, they cut out the backwards compatibilty to save money. They are losing money with every system they sell, even with the cuts.

HOWEVER, I suspect they will release the PS2 library on PSN once they stop making the PS2.
The backwards compatibility was indeed cut so that they could save money - and sell the system for cheaper.

I am hoping that they do something special for the PS2 games.. but I doubt they will cease to make them for some time now. The system still sells itself.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
That case wasn't with the hardware though, it was with something else that Sony is known for:

Faulty firmware updates. Every company has their faults. Sony's too cocky and tends to release faulty firmware, Nintendo doesn't care about online play (or they'd give us something better than the laggy friendcode system), and Microsoft tends to rush products (and then everyone blows their problems out of proportion).

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
That case wasn't with the hardware though, it was with something else that Sony is known for:

Faulty firmware updates. Every company has their faults. Sony's too cocky and tends to release faulty firmware, Nintendo doesn't care about online play (or they'd give us something better than the laggy friendcode system), and Microsoft tends to rush products (and then everyone blows their problems out of proportion).
Any company that can simultaneously murder every piece of hardware of a single generation certainly cannot complain about having their problems blown out of control. *cough* Zune 30 *cough, cough*

All three systems have their issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games