Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 04:51 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
https://dbknews.com/2019/08/29/holly...lly-scheduled/

Construction on the much-anticipated Hollywood Gateway Park in northern College Park may not be complete until at least a month after its original deadline.
Construction on the park began in March after multiple delays, at which time city planning director Terry Schum said construction was expected to finish Sept. 1. But with that deadline just a few days away and the park still on its way to completion, Schum said construction might now continue into late October.

-----------------
https://dbknews.com/2019/09/02/marat...nese-demolish/

A developer is looking to demolish two properties in the College Park Shopping Center just off Baltimore Avenue, according to planning documents filed with Prince George’s County.
The stores that would be demolished include Marathon Deli, a UPS store, 7-Eleven, Café Hookah, Kevin Nails, Lotsa Pizza, Krazi Kebob, Insomnia Cookies and C.B. Chinese Grill, confirmed Ryan Chelton, the city’s economic development coordinator.
I think they need to hold off on demolishing anymore buildings downtown especially if causes retail establishments to be uprooted. They are already pushing out retail with city hall project and we are still waiting on the Southern Gateway and wine bar to break ground. Terrapin Turf, Cafe Hookah, Lotsa Pizza, and Krazi Kebab are popular places for students. It would be terrible to see them go.

I get that they want to be close to the university but there are areas that can be redeveloped first like that abandoned eyesore between Taco Bell and Burger King. It is still within close proximity to the university for students to walk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I think they need to hold off on demolishing anymore buildings downtown especially if causes retail establishments to be uprooted. They are already pushing out retail with city hall project and we are still waiting on the Southern Gateway and wine bar to break ground. Terrapin Turf, Cafe Hookah, Lotsa Pizza, and Krazi Kebab are popular places for students. It would be terrible to see them go.

I get that they want to be close to the university but there are areas that can be redeveloped first like that abandoned eyesore between Taco Bell and Burger King. It is still within close proximity to the university for students to walk to.
The article says Terrapin's Turf will stay.

Quote:
Terrapin’s Turf — and any business with a storefront facing Route 1 — would not be part of the project, said city planning director Terry Schum.
I would be okay with a development that had a similar brick facade for the retail portion (like a refresh) and allows the original retail stores first rights to the retail space at a gradual increase in lease rates. It would be sad to see all of the single proprietor retail spaces give way to retail chains.

Also, 32,000 sqft is a lot of retail space for half of a block. It will be interesting to see the configuration of the retail spaces. Will there be a second floor of retail like a two-story bar? I think that would be cool.

I'm okay with the retail that the City Hall project will be affecting. It's not very active retail. Well, neither is across the street.

Keep Smoothie King and Hair Cuttery and ditch the rest.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:02 PM

220 posts, read 184,604 times
This article touches on development on the UMD campus, but I think its still relevant.

https://dbknews.com/2019/09/06/umd-c...public-policy/

Old 09-14-2019, 07:53 PM

662 posts, read 784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The article says Terrapin's Turf will stay.

I would be okay with a development that had a similar brick facade for the retail portion (like a refresh) and allows the original retail stores first rights to the retail space at a gradual increase in lease rates. It would be sad to see all of the single proprietor retail spaces give way to retail chains.

Also, 32,000 sqft is a lot of retail space for half of a block. It will be interesting to see the configuration of the retail spaces. Will there be a second floor of retail like a two-story bar? I think that would be cool.

I'm okay with the retail that the City Hall project will be affecting. It's not very active retail. Well, neither is across the street.

Keep Smoothie King and Hair Cuttery and ditch the rest.

That's the problem. small restaurants will not be able to sustain that. so then what?box stores? those places also close in CP!

Old 09-14-2019, 09:17 PM

340 posts, read 377,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
That's the problem. small restaurants will not be able to sustain that. so then what?box stores? those places also close in CP!
What are you really losing here? Marathon Deli, Krazy Kabob, Krazy Burrito, C.B. Grill, and Lotsa Pizza. The rest are box stores anyways, UPS, Insomnia, 7-11, etc. There is room for 5 small businesses elsewhere if they can't pay the new rents. I can think of 4-7 existing commercial strips in the immediate area there for them to find space in and there is often space.

I just wish they forced some cohesion between the developments. This space in particular is critical to the "college town" look of the UMD campus. They can't just let them build anything, it should be the best development functionally across the entire campus.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:22 AM

220 posts, read 184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
What are you really losing here? Marathon Deli, Krazy Kabob, Krazy Burrito, C.B. Grill, and Lotsa Pizza. The rest are box stores anyways, UPS, Insomnia, 7-11, etc. There is room for 5 small businesses elsewhere if they can't pay the new rents. I can think of 4-7 existing commercial strips in the immediate area there for them to find space in and there is often space.

I just wish they forced some cohesion between the developments. This space in particular is critical to the "college town" look of the UMD campus. They can't just let them build anything, it should be the best development functionally across the entire campus.

I wish UMDs real estate arm, Terrapin Development Company, bought some of this commercial space and maybe would have more flexibility to not be as aggressive with rent hikes in order to attract and keep independent or mom and pop businesses. That's what we need in College Park, more Marathon Deli's, C.B. Grill's, etc. A lot of these private RE companies will jack up rent whenever possible, but as long as the mortgage is being paid, Terrapin Development could afford not to be as aggressive, and maybe that would attract some of the better local restaurateurs to open a branch of their restaurant in College Park.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:08 AM

340 posts, read 377,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80
I wish UMDs real estate arm, Terrapin Development Company, bought some of this commercial space and maybe would have more flexibility to not be as aggressive with rent hikes in order to attract and keep independent or mom and pop businesses. That's what we need in College Park, more Marathon Deli's, C.B. Grill's, etc. A lot of these private RE companies will jack up rent whenever possible, but as long as the mortgage is being paid, Terrapin Development could afford not to be as aggressive, and maybe that would attract some of the better local restaurateurs to open a branch of their restaurant in College Park.
They also can't let this development slow foot their way through construction...get it done right and done expeditiously. If they move as slowly as the other nearby developments, i.e. southern gateway, there will be kids who's whole college career was spent looking at a demo site.

I agree...UMD should be doing some of the development themselves...a lot like this would be perfect for it because it is literally attached to campus

Old 09-15-2019, 01:11 PM

283 posts, read 322,821 times
The city hall development (university owned) would be a great start- how about working with marathon deli to move there at a sustainable rent. Also, the university should promote more college appropriate retail, whether that be a quirky coffee shop or school spirit (thinking that the route one apparel business would be ideal for the city hall space - I think they are online only but it was founded by an alum). Board and Brew sounds like a great local place - location doesn’t seem ideal though but maybe it is doing well enough to survive where it is. If not, relocate closer to the downtown core.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:38 PM

206 posts, read 210,175 times
Gilbane's student housing plan for mid-town (Burger King) consists of an eight-story buiding - three levels of parking with five-stories of apartments. About 300 apartments of various sizes with about 900 rooms/beds and 300 parking spaces. Limited retail, about 1,000 square feet. A pedestrian trail open to the public from Route 1 that would follow the rear of properties to the pedestrian bridge behind University View to campus.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:43 AM

48 posts, read 35,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
Gilbane's student housing plan for mid-town (Burger King) consists of an eight-story buiding - three levels of parking with five-stories of apartments. About 300 apartments of various sizes with about 900 rooms/beds and 300 parking spaces. Limited retail, about 1,000 square feet. A pedestrian trail open to the public from Route 1 that would follow the rear of properties to the pedestrian bridge behind University View to campus.
Any renderings or pictures of the new Gilbane housing project?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland