Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,251 times

Advertisements

I know the reasons, I just don't understand the rationale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times
Nor do I ahales. I mean, Maryland's laws are OK compared to DC's, but you still can't get a concealed carry permit unless there's already been a threat to your life.

I would also hate to face a home intruder in either DC or Maryland. I can only imagine the ensuing legal battle should someone decide to not take any **** from a lowlife thug and blow him away.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,789 times
mugged late at night walking a couple blocks west of Mt. Vernon square in the late 1990s (sorry, I'm not going to fill out the entire application you posted). They got $9.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,142 times
Incidents I personally know of, though I was not a victim:

2 friends were mugged on 18th Street in the heart of Adams Morgan, in the morning (daylight). The guy demanded their wallets (with no threat of weapon), they handed them over, and he ran off. They decided to give chase, but he turned and pointed a gun so they stopped in their tracks as he got away.

One Saturday midday I was in my apartment on 20th NW, near Kalorama St, and I heard a woman scream, people shout, and tires squeal. I went outside and learned someone had run up behind the woman, snatched her purse, then jumped into a car of a waiting friend who then burned rubber to get away.

Both incidents were in the mid 1990s.

But in all my years of visiting DC and living there for several years, I never experienced crime myself.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Yet to be mugged and I have spent lots of time in pretty bad places. Maybe I just know what I'm doing or don't look like much of a target. I don't know, but hope it continues.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yet to be mugged and I have spent lots of time in pretty bad places. Maybe I just know what I'm doing or don't look like much of a target. I don't know, but hope it continues.
If you spend a lot of time in bad places, maybe you are part of the problem.

Just kidding... lol

Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
D.C. is pretty safe overall.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Nor do I ahales. I mean, Maryland's laws are OK compared to DC's, but you still can't get a concealed carry permit unless there's already been a threat to your life.

I would also hate to face a home intruder in either DC or Maryland. I can only imagine the ensuing legal battle should someone decide to not take any **** from a lowlife thug and blow him away.
Maryland is ok so long as you pull the trigger when the perp is undoubtedly inside your domicile. My uncle knows a MoCo cop who says if you shoot and the guy slumps on the window sill or falls back outside, pull his body inside and you will be ok.

And when you think about it, would it really be a good idea to shoot anyone that sets foot on your land? We will have paranoid people shooting kids who chase a baseball onto someone's land.

You do raise a good point about the ensuing legal battle. I would hope the good folks of Maryland would exhibit common sense. And a legal battle is better than allowing a perp inside. These guys do not play around these days. The rob and kill you.

Now, I just need to acquire a gun to test this theory.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times
Moderator cut: orphaned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Maryland is ok so long as you pull the trigger when the perp is undoubtedly inside your domicile. My uncle knows a MoCo cop who says if you shoot and the guy slumps on the window sill or falls back outside, pull his body inside and you will be ok.

And when you think about it, would it really be a good idea to shoot anyone that sets foot on your land? We will have paranoid people shooting kids who chase a baseball onto someone's land.

You do raise a good point about the ensuing legal battle. I would hope the good folks of Maryland would exhibit common sense. And a legal battle is better than allowing a perp inside. These guys do not play around these days. The rob and kill you.

Now, I just need to acquire a gun to test this theory.
I've heard that it's very bad if you shoot an intruder or assailant in the back. Supposedly it's because they were possibly running away meaning they were no longer a threat to you

I support a lot of liberal policies, but defense of life and limb is something I'm staunchly conservative on. If someone kills a home intruder, even if he shot him in the back, I say instead of a legal battle he ought to get a medal for:

-Helping to stop overpopulation
-Saving the state time and money by not needing to charge the intruder with attempted burglary or anything like that
-Also saving time and money by not needing to incarcerate the crook

Last edited by Yac; 01-07-2011 at 01:31 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 09:43 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've heard that it's very bad if you shoot an intruder or assailant in the back. Supposedly it's because they were possibly running away meaning they were no longer a threat to you

I support a lot of liberal policies, but defense of life and limb is something I'm staunchly conservative on. If someone kills a home intruder, even if he shot him in the back, I say instead of a legal battle he ought to get a medal for:

-Helping to stop overpopulation
-Saving the state time and money by not needing to charge the intruder with attempted burglary or anything like that
-Also saving time and money by not needing to incarcerate the crook
Do you have any examples? Not challenging you- just curious. Shooting someone in the back could be wrong or justified depending on the particular circumstances. Probably best avoided.

Were I in possession of a gun and some guy or guys break into my house, I would shoot. I would rather take my chances with the legal system than chance that the guy will be satisfied with simply taking something and moving on.

But...I have no firearm so my baseball bat will have to suffice. They will probably throw me into the slammer for swatting some psycho who breaks into Festung Moth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC