Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,717,407 times

Advertisements

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
And it seems Governor O'Malley signed SB 411 last May which gives Maryland the Castle Doctrine of sorts and protects the homeowner from legal chicanery.

But I digress as this is a DC forum.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:33 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Mindsets like Shadow Inc, hold the race back. I trully think that all muggers deserve to be shot. If more people got shot while stealing, less people would do it.
While I tend to agree with you, my fear is getting shot back. While it may be fun to see there brains splattered across the pavement, the joy would die off quickly when I end up in a wheel chair. In that case, it's just best to give them your money. Unfair? Yes. Will I have to swallow my pride? Hell, yes. But hopefully karma will catch up these losers sooner or later and they will end up in prison or I hate to say this, dead...

Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
Interesting idea for a thread.

1. I was mugged, robbed, robbed at gun point, shot, dead (and am a zombie) or other at: (pick one or improvise)

I was once mugged by 3 men who jumped out at me from a dark corner. This was in 1964. That's right, 47 years ago.

2. It was: (time of the day or night on day and date) About 10:30 at night.

3. It was At: (Specific streets) Near the Eastern Market

4. It was doing: (description of the person who violated you) I don't really remember anymore.

5. I am: (male, female, age, - additionally: an expert in Kung fu, Bone crushing, street fighting, yoga, or Hawaiian art of bone crushing, etc)

I was a young girl in her 20s back then, walking home from a stupid job I had at a local restaurant.

6. I got taken for: ($xxx money, credit cards, dignity, etc)

About $40. More importantly, I was badly frightened and had some internal injuries from getting punched.

7. Cops did: (take care of me, didn't come in time, thought I was lying, etc)

They came to the hospital and took a report. That was all.

8. But I have to admit: (I was drunk, I was counting my many $100 bills, smiling with a lot of bling on my teeth, or I shouldn't have been there, etc)

I knew I shouldn't have been walking at that time of night. Since I was coming home from my shift, they probably saw me walking there every night. I should have gotten a day job, instead.

9. After the event, I thought: (on your own)

For awhile I didn't want to be alone in my apartment. I asked friends if I could stay with them but they turned away. So, I went to stay with my aunt for a a few days. Believe it or not the thing that made me the angriest was that she lived out in the suburbs. I ended up staying with her for several months. After I stayed with her awhile I realized where she lived was much nicer than I would have guessed.

10. If I had a chance to do it again, I would:

I probably wouldn't have taken that job. OTOH, it was a turning point in my life, so in some ways it was a good thing. (I guess.)

11. This event caused me to: (hate DC, hate myself, buy a gun, join the FBI, etc) develop a strong love for suburban living, which I have had ever since. DC's a great place and I had a lot of fun there, but I discovered I was a better fit in northern Virginia. I still go into DC from time to time to see concerts, go to meetings, etc. but am always a little bit relieved when I get on the metro to go home.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,403,646 times
Most of us were mugged by reality--the insane COL and lack of parking in DC.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Most of us were mugged by reality--the insane COL and lack of parking in DC.
Well, at least we have a choice. The muggers don't really give you one, unless you count the alternative...

Old 01-05-2011, 01:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
While I tend to agree with you, my fear is getting shot back. While it may be fun to see there brains splattered across the pavement, the joy would die off quickly when I end up in a wheel chair. In that case, it's just best to give them your money. Unfair? Yes. Will I have to swallow my pride? Hell, yes. But hopefully karma will catch up these losers sooner or later and they will end up in prison or I hate to say this, dead...
or hand it over and then pop 'em once they turn around, but that'll definitely get you tried for something stupid. love it when criminals have more rights than real people.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:02 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,566,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
or hand it over and then pop 'em once they turn around, but that'll definitely get you tried for something stupid. love it when criminals have more rights than real people.
I'm not sure that's a great example of criminals having more rights than "real people". After all, what you're talking about is essentially taking a human life over what would likely amount to no more than a couple hundred dollars and some inconvenience. Maybe your conscience would let you rest knowing that; mine wouldn't.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,717,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'm not sure that's a great example of criminals having more rights than "real people". After all, what you're talking about is essentially taking a human life over what would likely amount to no more than a couple hundred dollars and some inconvenience. Maybe your conscience would let you rest knowing that; mine wouldn't.
If someone breaks into my house, they are a threat to the livelihood of me and my family.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,566,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
If someone breaks into my house, they are a threat to the livelihood of me and my family.
That's a different scenario then shooting a mugger in the back after he has turned to leave. Still, even under your scenario I would be very hesitant to fire at someone unless and until I was convinced that my life or the life of my loved ones were in imminent danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC