Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,456 times

Advertisements

Apparently, there is this big argument about "you could get robbed in NW just as easily as NE".

I think, if not informational (for me), this will be the most entertaining story sharing thread that everyone could take something from.

1. I was mugged, robbed, robbed at gun point, shot, dead (and am a zombie) or other at: (pick one or improvise)

2. It was: (time of the day or night on day and date)

3. It was At: (Specific streets)

4. It was doing: (description of the person who violated you)

5. I am: (male, female, age, - additionally: an expert in Kung fu, Bone crushing, street fighting, yoga, or Hawaiian art of bone crushing, etc)

6. I got taken for: ($xxx money, credit cards, dignity, etc)

7. Cops did: (take care of me, didn't come in time, thought I was lying, etc)

8. But I have to admit: (I was drunk, I was counting my many $100 bills, smiling with a lot of bling on my teeth, or I shouldn't have been there, etc)

9. After the event, I thought: (on your own)

10. If I had a chance to do it again, I would:

11. This event caused me to: (hate DC, hate myself, buy a gun, join the FBI, etc)

12. The person who did this looked like: (description)

OK, go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
1. I was mugged, robbed, robbed at gun point, shot, dead (and am a zombie) or other at: Dudes broke my car window and robbed me a knife point while I was pulled over looking at a map I was so shocked it never occured to defend myself or drive off.

2. It was: very late

3. It was At: No clue somewhere in NE Michigan Park maybe? Near Providence hospital I think.

4. It was doing:

5. I am: me all day

6. I got taken for: $25 so the money is hardly the point

7. Cops did: came. An unknown witness called the cops

8. But I have to admit: Was lost after a barely memorable hookup and have no clue how I got to that street.

9. After the event, I thought: A lot of unplesant thoughts and my mom bought me a GPS

10. If I had a chance to do it again, I would: Have just driven until I was in a safe well lit area

11. This event caused me to: Not a fan of DC. For a while. I spent a little more time hanging out in VA for a while. I'm cool now though. I love hanging out in DC but will admit that I won't visit someone or hookup with someone that lives in certain parts of the city. Which is totally hypocritical considering the neighborhood I grew up and my mother still resides in. But when I go home to Georgia I know my way around and still have somewhat of an accent. Up here anyone can tell I'm not from DC and outside of Dupont, Capitol Hill, and downtown I still don't know my way around.

12. The person(s) who did this looked like: young hooligans

Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,717,407 times
Terrance,
I am with you on that one. I used to live New Orleans, a much more dangerous city but I felt safer there to be honest because I pretty much knew the ins and outs.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 PM

276 posts, read 433,041 times
Yea I got caught loafin once but its all good, lil dude only got my id and 50 cent. Life goes on and this happened like 5 mins from my hood. I'm from D.C. born and raised I know the ins and outs where to go where to watch your back, etc....

Every city is different. If your an out of towner somewhere then you might just feel uneasy. See the more statistically safer cities are always the ones that'll give off a more sketchy vibe. NYC, LA, and Chicago all have lower crime rates then D.C. but yet some people say those cities are more scary then D.C., but I beg to differ.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
It's never happened to me... knock on wood.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It's never happened to me... knock on wood.
Way overdue. Sending muggers NOW!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
I've never been mugged in my life. Pickpocketed only once, and that was in Paris.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Way overdue. Sending muggers NOW!
i'll blow them away with my revol-

oh wait, Maryland's gun laws blow

Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,717,407 times
Coming from the deep south, I do not understand the rationale for D.C.'s gun laws. I am a castle doctrine type of guy. You break in my house, you deserve to get shot. She try to steal my car, you deserve to get shot. If I am a store owner and you come in and try to rob my store, you deserve to get shot.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:39 PM

276 posts, read 433,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Coming from the deep south, I do not understand the rationale for D.C.'s gun laws. I am a castle doctrine type of guy. You break in my house, you deserve to get shot. She try to steal my car, you deserve to get shot. If I am a store owner and you come in and try to rob my store, you deserve to get shot.
Here's why D.C.'s gun laws are the way it is:

-Crime rate too high
-Its a liberal and democratic city
-Although not technically, D.C. is a east coast northern city and the gun laws in NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly and other cities north are just as strict, if not stricter.
-Density has a lot to do with it.

You start to see more relaxed gun laws the further you go south, Virginia is a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC