Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:13 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
While it may be fun to see there brains splattered across the pavement
I have to believe that anyone who honestly feels this way has likely never been in a situation where they have seen someone's brains literally splatter across the pavement. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could consider that to be a spectacle that would be "fun" to watch. If it were me, it would be a scene that would likely haunt me for the rest of my life--and I could not imagine being the one responsible for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 04:59 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I have to believe that anyone who honestly feels this way has likely never been in a situation where they have seen someone's brains literally splatter across the pavement. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could consider that to be a spectacle that would be "fun" to watch. If it were me, it would be a scene that would likely haunt me for the rest of my life--and I could not imagine being the one responsible for it.
Yeah, it may be a bit overboard. How bout I would just love to see them splattered across the floor. Brain intact and alive. Just enough to the point where they would not want to rob innocent people again.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 PM

413 posts, read 1,164,896 times
Most house robbers are docile thieves. I would be more afraid of the corner/street/car robber.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Never been mugged but I have a friend from business school that was mugged within a few weeks of moving here. He was knocked out. I think it was around Adams Morgan.

He's gay but not terribly effeminate acting but you could tell he's gay within a few seconds of meeting him.

I wonder if that has something to do with it? These criminals look for easy marks if you are walking with a purpose they'll pass you over waiting for another mark.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 35,739 times
I think that allowing concealed carry in DC would reduce the street-crime (mugging, senseless gang assaults on the metro, etc). Just the deterrence factor alone would help: It's easy for ANYONE to get a gun by going out of state; those who obey the law won't carry their gun outside of their home, though. Criminals know this. They know that someone walking the street who looks wealthy and law-abiding is a great target. They've got money, and no means of self defense.

If criminals knew that law-abiding citizens COULD fight back, there would be at least some drop in street crime. Right now, there is nearly ZERO deterrence for muggers. The chance of someone who looks like a wealthy, law-abiding citizen fighting back with anything more than fists is low. The chance of being arrested is also low. Cops take a general report, never find the perp, and move on as it's a low priority case with no evidence.

It's a disturbing feeling when I'm out late at night on a quiet street, knowing that my government doesn't allow me to defend myself against criminals. What do they expect me to do?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,540 times
Quote:
That's a different scenario then shooting a mugger in the back after he has turned to leave. Still, even under your scenario I would be very hesitant to fire at someone unless and until I was convinced that my life or the life of my loved ones were in imminent danger.
I can agree with you over the mugger but breaking into my house warrants shooting.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times
The problem I've started to have with concealed carry laws (and other gun laws) is that they might keep a rationally-thinking criminal from doing anything, but they won't keep a crazy person from doing anything. Just look at the massacre in Tucson, AZ. It's one of the most lax states when it comes to gun laws yet what stopped the shooter? Not some Dirty Harry character but someone tackling the guy.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,707 times
Quote:
I agree. It's easy to act "tough" when you've never actually seen people shot up before. Some of you that have lived in the suburbs or NW DC your whole life and haven't seen the "bad" neighborhoods at 2am when people are shooting at each other just don't understand.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 PM

14 posts, read 29,653 times
Well, my story is ironic. I grew up around death, have PTSD and moved to a nice, crime-free neighborhood in Silver Spring for $1050 in Dec 2009 (rent $1050 monthly). At end of lease could not afford to renew, so moved to a room in SE DC near Anacostia Musuem on December 1st.

Never had a problem in Silver Spring (2am walks, earphones on) the entire year there. Yet, less than 30 days in SE DC and I got attacked by 7 guys while coming home from the Safeway in the late afternoon (daylight). Drew a crowd of onlookers who literally bought snacks from one of those snack trucks then enjoyed watching me fight a bunch of hooligans.

What do I look like? Hint: people call me Tyson. I'm a short, muscular guy. I certainly don't look an easy target; they never tried to rob me though, just beat the crap out of me. Oh, I'm black, too so it wasn't race related.

The ghetto sucks. As soon as I can afford it I'm moving back to the safer, more diverse Montgomery County.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsap View Post
Well, my story is ironic. I grew up around death, have PTSD and moved to a nice, crime-free neighborhood in Silver Spring for $1050 in Dec 2009 (rent $1050 monthly). At end of lease could not afford to renew, so moved to a room in SE DC near Anacostia Musuem on December 1st.

Never had a problem in Silver Spring (2am walks, earphones on) the entire year there. Yet, less than 30 days in SE DC and I got attacked by 7 guys while coming home from the Safeway in the late afternoon (daylight). Drew a crowd of onlookers who literally bought snacks from one of those snack trucks then enjoyed watching me fight a bunch of hooligans.

What do I look like? Hint: people call me Tyson. I'm a short, muscular guy. I certainly don't look an easy target; they never tried to rob me though, just beat the crap out of me. Oh, I'm black, too so it wasn't race related.

The ghetto sucks. As soon as I can afford it I'm moving back to the safer, more diverse Montgomery County.
What? I thought this was the 'culture' of DC that was being pushed out by the greedy, evil white folks. You mean they all don't watch each others back in the hood? I thought it was only the hipsters that like to beat up innocent people walking home from the grocery store...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC