Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,952 times

Advertisements

I went with a young male friend today to look at an apartment he's considering renting on Q street NW between 1st and 2nd street. Its right across the street from what looks to be a housing project. The rest of the area seems to be residential and 4-6 blocks from any stores, restaurants, etc so little foot traffic at night. My friend is not from an urban area and I'm wondering about how happy he'll be living here (and how safe). Thanks for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
It's definitely an "up and coming" area. It's not the worst area in the city at all but also far from the best.
I think someone who is not used to an urban area would be a bit culture-shocked living there. It doesn't help that there isn't much at all in the way of amenities around there, as you pointed out.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhumd View Post
I went with a young male friend today to look at an apartment he's considering renting on Q street NW between 1st and 2nd street. Its right across the street from what looks to be a housing project. The rest of the area seems to be residential and 4-6 blocks from any stores, restaurants, etc so little foot traffic at night. My friend is not from an urban area and I'm wondering about how happy he'll be living here (and how safe). Thanks for any thoughts.
Now this area is actually the hood. You have that S.O.M.E. on O Street, which brings an interesting crowd to the area. Sursum Corda is a few blocks to the south and the kids from those projects roam that area and frequently rob unwitting suspects. Then there's Truxton which has its own set of issues. Not to mention a halfway house on Quincy (though they really don't bother anyone) and a Meth clinic a few blocks away. Violent crime is an issue over there, but not as much of an issue as coming home and having a homeless guy wacking off on your stoop. If your friend's cool with that, then it's all good.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM

336 posts, read 768,841 times
Quote:
My friend is not from an urban area
That's a red flag if he's looking into that area he'll be fresh meat. Also I know I' taking a risk by asking this but I'm going to take a wild guess that you're friend isn't black. Not to say race matters (well it does a little bit) but it helps when you're the same color as the people around you when moving to a rougher side of town with housing projects close by. Hell even if he's Latino that'll help.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Minor quibble: that's not Shaw, that's Bloomingdale. And Q Street in Bloomingdale isn't the most fantastic street to be on. R Street is better (yes, it really can vary from block-to-block).

That said, if your friend isn't familiar with or hasn't lived in an urban area, Bloomingdale is not the first neighborhood I would recommend.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Minor quibble: that's not Shaw, that's Bloomingdale. And Q Street in Bloomingdale isn't the most fantastic street to be on. R Street is better (yes, it really can vary from block-to-block).

That said, if your friend isn't familiar with or hasn't lived in an urban area, Bloomingdale is not the first neighborhood I would recommend.
That's not Bloomingdale; it's south of Florida Avenue. I don't think anyone in that neighborhood would consider that Bloomingdale. They call that area Truxton. For the most part, Bloomingdale ends at the Big Bear Cafe on R, ends at N. Capitol to the East, 2nd Street to the West, and the McMillan Reservoir to the North.

Bloomingdale would be an ideal place. Truxton not so much.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not Bloomingdale; it's south of Florida Avenue. I don't think anyone in that neighborhood would consider that Bloomingdale. They call that area Truxton. For the most part, Bloomingdale ends at the Big Bear Cafe on R, ends at N. Capitol to the East, 2nd Street to the West, and the McMillan Reservoir to the North.

Bloomingdale would be an ideal place. Truxton not so much.
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that Bloomingdale would be an "ideal place" for someone who has never lived in an urban neighborhood before, but you are correct re: the neighborhood--I forget that Florida cuts through there. Although the block the OP mentioned is only one block south of Bloomingdale/Big Bear, Truxton is indeed a very different hood.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that Bloomingdale would be an "ideal place" for someone who has never lived in an urban neighborhood before, but you are correct re: the neighborhood--I forget that Florida cuts through there. Although the block the OP mentioned is only one block south of Bloomingdale/Big Bear, Truxton is indeed a very different hood.
The Big Bear Cafe has a farmer's market there every Sunday. The Rustik Tavern's also right there on T. Then there's the art festival on First Street every year, so Bloomingdale has become a yuppie nirvana. Plus, it's cheaper than other yuppie enclaves like Logan, U Street and Dupont. What's not "ideal" about that?

And yes, that area changes DRAMATICALLY after just one block. R Street is hipsters, organic berries and chai tea. Q Street is heroin, homelessness, and hollow points.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 AM

656 posts, read 648,752 times
Quote:
If you volunteer and give back to that community, you will be accepted. If they think you are just there for a cheap place to live, and taking advantage of that community, you will be mugged and stabbed.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Big Bear Cafe has a farmer's market there every Sunday. The Rustik Tavern's also right there on T. Then there's the art festival on First Street every year, so Bloomingdale has become a yuppie nirvana. Plus, it's cheaper than other yuppie enclaves like Logan, U Street and Dupont. What's not "ideal" about that?
I'm not saying that Bloomingdale is a bad neighborhood, only that I wouldn't recommend it for someone who has never livedi n an urban environment before. It borders some sketchy, transitional areas and isn't particularly transit-friendly. Plus, in spite of places like Big Bear and Rustik, it's still lacking in the amenities that one finds in other hoods. It's a nice neighborhood, but I wouldn't consider it "ideal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC