Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 AM

708 posts, read 1,206,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Just so you know, there wasn't a single comment justifying throwing people in jail for expired tags.
I am looking at one on page 1 right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:08 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
I am looking at one on page 1 right now.
And still seeing things that aren't there?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I was arrested for driving on expired tags in DC. My tags were like 1 day passed due and I forgot. I had to pay a small fine and they released me after a few hours. I was lucky because it was mid day/midweek. If they get you on a Saturday night, you are toast. You won't get out until Sunday morning or afternoon and they might send you to Central Cell and that place is hell times two.
Hi DC's Finest,

I got arrested for same reason and my court day is coming soon. May I know how you solved the problem in your court day? Did you hire a lawyer to present you? Did you need to provide community service or pay fine or something? I called a DC lawyer and she said the worst case is I need to go back to jail for a short time.

I am worried about it. It was a horrible experience that night. I stayed in a cell for a couple of hours. Can you inbox me if you'd like?

Thanks,
Yayar2000

Old 10-10-2011, 12:40 PM

708 posts, read 1,206,059 times
A buddy of mine had the same problem. He was arrested on 295 and the cop hauled him in (his GF came out to drive the car). He told me that he went to court and paid a fine. Outside of being in jail (and moved twice) it was a straightforward process. YMMV though....

Why do they move people?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I was arrested for driving on expired tags in DC. My tags were like 1 day passed due and I forgot. I had to pay a small fine and they released me after a few hours. I was lucky because it was mid day/midweek. If they get you on a Saturday night, you are toast. You won't get out until Sunday morning or afternoon and they might send you to Central Cell and that place is hell times two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
A buddy of mine had the same problem. He was arrested on 295 and the cop hauled him in (his GF came out to drive the car). He told me that he went to court and paid a fine. Outside of being in jail (and moved twice) it was a straightforward process. YMMV though....

Why do they move people?
Hi Vicnice,

They didn't let me call any one and they towed my car away. So did your friend get any points? Would it be helpful to hire a lawyer?...I am a bit nevouse from that night's experience now. Those people don't listen to you at all.

Yayar2000

Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 PM

656 posts, read 648,752 times
You aren't supposed to be driving around with expired tags.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
And still seeing things that aren't there?
Clearly. He must have language comprehension problems if he read my post that way (he's obviously talking about my post).

Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
You aren't supposed to be driving around with expired tags.
I was selling my car at that time. The car didn't pass the inspection so I was getting rid of it. If not because of hurricane, I bought another car already. But that hurricane weekend, store was closed so I stayed at home. And the next weekend my bf was on a business trip to Africa. I was waiting for him to go with me together. Then in the following week I got pull over.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM

116 posts, read 228,007 times
DC has some absurd laws. What would be a ticket anywhere else in the USA is an arrest in the District of Corruption. To add insult to injury when these minor arrests happen the DC Metropolitan Police act is if they are arresting a serious criminal who is a danger to society. The name of the DC Police (Metropolitan Police) should be changed to something indicating a small town police force in a Franz Kafka novel like "The Castle."

People should be outraged but they are not. It may be due to the transient nature of DC.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceimages View Post
DC has some absurd laws. What would be a ticket anywhere else in the USA is an arrest in the District of Corruption. To add insult to injury when these minor arrests happen the DC Metropolitan Police act is if they are arresting a serious criminal who is a danger to society. The name of the DC Police (Metropolitan Police) should be changed to something indicating a small town police force in a Franz Kafka novel like "The Castle."

People should be outraged but they are not. It may be due to the transient nature of DC.
Exactly. 7-8 police cars stopped and parked around my car on the street. Sirens was on. Traffic got jammed in the rush hour. All these were just for an expired tag.

Somehow, it was not DC Metropolitan Police who pulled me over. They said they are secret service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC