Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 PM

656 posts, read 648,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayar2000 View Post
Exactly. 7-8 police cars stopped and parked around my car on the street. Sirens was on. Traffic got jammed in the rush hour. All these were just for an expired tag.

Somehow, it was not DC Metropolitan Police who pulled me over. They said they are secret service.
I agree that this is a waste. DC also seems to send firetrucks on police calls way too often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Hi DC's Finest,

I got arrested for same reason and my court day is coming soon. May I know how you solved the problem in your court day? Did you hire a lawyer to present you? Did you need to provide community service or pay fine or something? I called a DC lawyer and she said the worst case is I need to go back to jail for a short time.

I am worried about it. It was a horrible experience that night. I stayed in a cell for a couple of hours. Can you inbox me if you'd like?

Thanks,
Yayar2000
Don't waste your time on a lawyer. If it's just for expired tags, all you have to do is show up in court and show proof that you now have a valid registration and tags. They will "no paper" the charge which means that it will be time served and the case will be dropped.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Exactly. 7-8 police cars stopped and parked around my car on the street. Sirens was on. Traffic got jammed in the rush hour. All these were just for an expired tag.

Somehow, it was not DC Metropolitan Police who pulled me over. They said they are secret service.
Yeah, Park Police, Secret Service and Capitol Hill police can detain you for anything. I know a few people who have been arrested by Park Police for speeding (75 on Suitland Parkway). The police took them to some station at Bolling AFB, held them for a few hours and released them. They received a ticket but no charges were ever filed.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM

I think arresting people for expired tags is excessive. Especially since other jurisdictions and their DMV's don't have the same protocol as DC. They should just tow the car and release it back to the owner once a valid registration and tags have been presented. The whole expired tags game can get dicey. Supposed your tags expire on a holiday? They need to ammend the law and give drivers 15 days from the date the tags are expired. That way, it will give people who reside out of state a chance to take care of their business.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 AM

229 posts, read 515,194 times
Not even Virginia pulls a stunt like this.

This is what happens when a city is oversaturated with law enforcement while experiencing a rapidly declined crime rate that, today, hardly justifies such an obscene police force budget -- the city enacts ridiculous arrest and jail-time policies to keep the Boys in Blue busy, because city leaders are too gutless to appropriately downsize the city's bloated law enforcement presence.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post

This is what happens when a city is oversaturated with law enforcement while experiencing a rapidly declined crime rate that, today, hardly justifies such an obscene police force budget -- the city enacts ridiculous arrest and jail-time policies to keep the Boys in Blue busy, because city leaders are too gutless to appropriately downsize the city's bloated law enforcement presence.
I think the police in DC (Park, MPD, SS, Capitol, FBI uniformed, etc) are all over zealous. You can get arrested in DC for drinking alcohol from an open container in a brown bag. Other jurisdictions will just make you pour it out. BTW, DC is adding more cops.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post

If you don't like police in your neighborhood, could you please petition your ANC to write Chief Lanier to redesignate them to my precinct.

Of any US city with a population in excess of 250,000, we are still:
#7 in murders per capita
#9 in violent crime per capita
#3 in robberies per capita

If you live in upper NW, Dupont, Foggy Bottom, Logan, Penn Quarter, Georgetown or a suburb your perspective is going to be a lot different than if you live in any other DC neighborhood.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
i-95
Log out.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 PM

465 posts, read 928,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
If you don't like police in your neighborhood, could you please petition your ANC to write Chief Lanier to redesignate them to my precinct.

Of any US city with a population in excess of 250,000, we are still:
#7 in murders per capita
#9 in violent crime per capita
#3 in robberies per capita

If you live in upper NW, Dupont, Foggy Bottom, Logan, Penn Quarter, Georgetown or a suburb your perspective is going to be a lot different than if you live in any other DC neighborhood.
Betcha he does!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM

638 posts, read 929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachgeek View Post
Things are crazy in DC. My co-worker moved to DC 2 weeks ago and last week was pretty much getting harassed because he still has MD tags.

Very true. DC will even ticket you for failure to change your license even when your not a resident. Before I moved to DC from MD I would frequently stay with a buddy of mine (commuting convenience) and during said time period Fenty began the aggressive parking enforcement system in DC. I remember one particular week I stayed at my friends twice (non consecutive days) and voila, the second day I stayed I had a lovely ticket in the morning for failure to change my tags. Four days later while visitng the same friend I came out to go home (the same night) and found another ticket. They eventually dismissed both tickets however I continued to receive tickets whenever I parked there. It was quite irritating as one must schedule time off from work and traspe down to traffic court to basically explain that you in fact dont live in the district. Additionally I couldn't quite for the life of me understand the premise that a MD license plate could be construed as a DC resident escaping DC licensing when both districts are so close. Especially when certain areas of MD are closer to the CBD than neighborhoods within DC. What a waste of tax payer money, court hearings and the such for an individual who does not in fact live within the district and is legally licensed in another is ticketed for failure to chnage licensing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC