Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 06:29 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
You have to understand the context. From what I gathered, and it was just the general feel from various conversations was the 1 up factor. So the cross-fit reference is more about the men bragging to women about them going to the gym- very status driven jock like. Based on my education, it probably comes from trying to fight the fratty staffer wonky perception that many DC men have. One woman gave me an example of she told a guy she met about an award she received at work and he had to quickly come up with his own accolades.

But again, where does that all come from? We all know where it does. We talk about it all the time regarding how many people here are very elite and driven. It's just part of the nature here and goes quite along with the "what do you do" lines of questioning. It's the texture of DC.

BUT HERE IS THE BIGGIE. When I was talking to mostly American women, I could tell who just moved here or who attended college and remained. A lot of the American women I was speaking with are gone in terms of socially engaging with a man. They are simply not used to it and they don't understand charisma, macho, and manly blue collar approach. But yet, on two occasions, both women told me that they needed a man cause it's been a long time. So in my mind, yeah I can try to go home with you but there is nothing else past that. Sure, you are educated and independent, but you did not at least once make a brother feel as if you were caring. I honestly don't know what it is but that term 'wonky' is really starting to make sense.

But again, what got you that degree is not the same that allows you to understand social dynamics and how to relate to people. And I am beginning to wonder if all this education and status is hurting our intimacy.

BUT, I now but this is my last but. I spent a weekend in Virginia beach a couple weekends ago and it is night and day. No wonkiness. I really felt the relieve o pressure. It was actually rather pleasant.
A lot of women in DC don't have the types of personalities that men fall in love with. Its true.

Sure they are attractive physically, but not attractive emotionally. Too self-obsessed and goal focused. I prefer a woman I can just relax with and spend time without any kind of pressure. Just talk, laugh, cuddle and have sex without a maze of games or competing for "power".

Every time I meet a woman I like, I end up getting turned off by her inconsistent behavior which I classify as "playing games". To me.. if your behavior is not consistent then you are either crazy, don't know what you want, OR you are not a genuine person. Either way.. its a turn off and I stop calling those women pretty fast.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:08 PM

55 posts, read 146,128 times
All I can say is wow. I really feel sorry for women after reading this thread. It must really suck to go through life trying to understand other people.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:33 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdeville1 View Post
All I can say is wow. I really feel sorry for women after reading this thread. It must really suck to go through life trying to understand other people.
Fortunately for the girls, the boys participating in this thread are not actually typical of DC nor are their weirdo assumptions about what DC guys are like actually applicable. As the result, ACTUAL social life in the DC area is very little different from what it is anywhere else.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:44 PM

417 posts, read 594,685 times
Reynard32 these guys are typical DC.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Fortunately for the girls, the boys participating in this thread are not actually typical of DC nor are their weirdo assumptions about what DC guys are like actually applicable. As the result, ACTUAL social life in the DC area is very little different from what it is anywhere else.
You have provided no evidence to support anything you say. You are no more an expert on the "typical DC person" than anyone else in this thread.

Come back to earth.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:10 PM

507 posts, read 443,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post

Went to a meet-up this weekend. Roughly 2 dozen people, an even mix of genders, I'd say two-thirds of them were single, most in the group were older than 35. All were friendly and fun to talk to, with interesting things to share about their backgrounds, travels, and interests. Only one person asked others what they did for a living, and that person was a woman.

This jibes with my experience of the area as a whole. People here enjoy talking to others, and are pretty friendly in social situations, and no, not every guy is out there just looking to sleep with as many people as he can. Also, single men in their 40s are not unicorns. They're out there.

So I'm not sure which DC you're talking about, but it's not the one I know.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:02 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
Quote:
No, they are quite atypical. Their social fears and inadequacies push them out to multiple standard deviations away from the mean. DC has all sorts and types of people. Just like everywhere else. The social dynamic that exists here is one that is played out by the same rules in major towns and cities all across the country. Alarmists need to get over themselves and have a little fun out there.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:00 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
Went to a meet-up this weekend. Roughly 2 dozen people, an even mix of genders, I'd say two-thirds of them were single, most in the group were older than 35. All were friendly and fun to talk to, with interesting things to share about their backgrounds, travels, and interests. Only one person asked others what they did for a living, and that person was a woman.

This jibes with my experience of the area as a whole. People here enjoy talking to others, and are pretty friendly in social situations, and no, not every guy is out there just looking to sleep with as many people as he can. Also, single men in their 40s are not unicorns. They're out there.

So I'm not sure which DC you're talking about, but it's not the one I know.
When I moved here a few years back I was heavily involved in Meetups but what I realized real fast was (1) it's the same people at almost every event and (2) most of the people are socially awkward. I met some decent people at Meetup events but I ran into way too many socially awkward people or women who treated it as the bar scene by being cold and bitchy even though you're supposedly going there to meet new people, friends or otherwise.

The only people who are going to whine about how bad the people are around here are people who need to push the blame onto something other than themselves that are doing a poor job of meeting people whether it be for dating or friendships. I've been there so I know. In all reality, you just need to look in the mirror and change the way you're meeting people as well as looking at the standards you're holding people to and look at yourself to see if you have the attributes you're looking for in others. DC is no different than any other city I've lived in or visited. Some people are nice, some are cold. Some are fun and some are dull. DC is filled with people associated with the government in some way so they tend to act conservatively because it's safe for their careers and it seems to be the norm around here. There is definitely a sense of entitlement here because lets face it, there are a lot of government workers here and it is well known a sense of entitlement is affiliated with a lot of government employees. As someone who has lived in several cities, the people generally speaking, are the same everywhere else.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:08 PM

417 posts, read 594,685 times
I tend to agree that the number of government workers and people in academia skews the social scene to people that think they are self entitled and feel that they are changing the world and helping others when the only concern is self preservation and an elitist attitude.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree that the number of government workers and people in academia skews the social scene to people that think they are self entitled and feel that they are changing the world and helping others when the only concern is self preservation and an elitist attitude.
I think one of the biggest problems in modern dating is the fact that people care so much how much money the person they are dating makes.

Many women refuse to date a man who is financially inferior and many men refuse to date women who make more than them. I've always thought this was idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: