Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 04:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ Too bad you bought that line, but it is not a fact. Every low income black neighborhood is not crime-ridden, and developers don't hire people from the neighborhood, for the most part. Blacks have enough pigs in the hood as it is anyway, and if mostly white folks move in and take over, those same pigs will be nowhere in sight.
Pigs?

As long as the police are not harassing people for no reason.. I don't know why you would have a problem with a high police presence in your neighborhood or in general.

Are you committing crimes? If not.. why don't you want police around you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 PM

181 posts, read 190,723 times
Quote:
^ Too bad you bought that line, but it is not a fact. Every low income black neighborhood is not crime-ridden, and developers don't hire people from the neighborhood, for the most part. Blacks have enough pigs in the hood as it is anyway, and if mostly white folks move in and take over, those same pigs will be nowhere in sight.
I never said every Black neighborhood was crime ridden. If "Blacks had enough pigs in the hood" then I'm sure EOTR wouldn't have so much crime. I guess Southside Chicago has plenty of Cops there too, huh? Some developers hire from the neighborhoods since many construction sites need laborers/helpers, but I'm referring to when businesses come to the neighborhood.

Cops are not making criminals commit crimes in their neighborhoods. But when I hear today's rap music, the lyrics are usually from Black men rapping about committing crimes against other Black men, or selling drugs in their "hood." That's not racist for me to say, I'm telling you was is heard. Maybe they are influencing the youth to commit crimes? Idk, but that's a different topic.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
^ Why u always rappin? All you do is boast about is putting the final nail in the coffin on low income black neighborhoods, so white people can move there. You must think you know everything, but you really don't. Everything depends on the economy and most of these developers are investing off credit anyway, money they don't even have.
You're so out of touch. Young white professionals aren't the main people buying these $400k 800 sq. foot above grade rowhouses across the river. Young black professionals are. Young educated Black professionals making over $100K are moving into Ward 7 and Ward 8 in droves. They're unmarried and very successful similar to their white counterparts in the core.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You're so out of touch. Young white professionals aren't the main people buying these $400k 800 sq. foot above grade rowhouses across the river. Young black professionals are. Young educated Black professionals making over $100K are moving into Ward 7 and Ward 8 in droves. They're unmarried and very successful similar to their white counterparts in the core.
I wouldn't take him too seriously. He has been posting the same repetitive crap here for months.

Even when you educate him on the realities of what is happening in DC, he still reverts back to the racial propaganda.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:16 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
this i wont argue with you on....

Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
Umm, I've driven on that side of town rencently as well. It looks just as it does on google maps. Vancant/abandoned lots of land, lack of amenities, some parts are so isolated with poor bus service, no funtional parks on par to Meridian Hill park or Rock Creek (not size wise), not to mention CRIME!

Look at MLK Ave, Good Hope Rd, Minnesota Ave (East River Shopping Center can be developed - along with the parcel across the street with the DTLR). Plenty of optuons. No need to knock down existing buildings (not yet). I would atleast like to see 10 story apartments built near the metro (on the vacant/abandoned land - which have no low income projects).
Fort Circle isnt a bad park.....alot of the locals have cookouts there over the summer months.......lots of trees a few paths......if the area became another logan circle all the yuppies and annoying entitled hill staffers would advertise get togethers and festivals there.....

I will forever disagree with you......."EOTR" is poor and still has crime problems......basic stores are few and far between......but you make the area sound like it looks like this

it isnt upscale by anymeans but its not burnt out like that. poor? yes. unsophisticated? accurate......but that side of town isnt a godforsaken slum either.......Ive seen waaaaay worse in Baltimore and Philadelphia...

Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
EOTR actually has some very nice neighborhoods. Penn Branch and Hillcrest are on a par with the nicer neighborhoods in upper Northwest. Fairlawn and some of the row house neighborhoods along the river are solid working class. Naylor Gardens are a very nice garden apartment development. The rougher neighborhoods are mostly the low income apartments that are scattered around the area. And even these are mostly intact without the boarded up buildings and empty lots you see in Detroit, Philly, and Baltimore.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:05 AM

Here is another great example of how moves are made to end the decay EOTR:

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...ommercial.html

Tax breaks for businesses to move EOTR. And this is just one of many ways the gentrification machine pushes forward.

1. Attract High Quality Businesses and Residents
2. Up the police presence to intimidate and discourage criminals
3. Add new development and raise rents to discourage (or move) low quality people/businesses
4. Buy land from slum lords and use imminent domain to move stubborn owners
5. Bulldoze and rebuilt
6. Now you have a gentrified neighborhood

Its not that hard.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Here is another great example of how moves are made to end the decay EOTR:

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...ommercial.html

Tax breaks for businesses to move EOTR. And this is just one of many ways the gentrification machine pushes forward.

1. Attract High Quality Businesses and Residents
2. Up the police presence to intimidate and discourage criminals
3. Add new development and raise rents to discourage (or move) low quality people/businesses
4. Buy land from slum lords and use imminent domain to move stubborn owners
5. Bulldoze and rebuilt
6. Now you have a gentrified neighborhood

Its not that hard.
how would you use imminent domain without a major public works project being done in the area? And to merely gentrify you dont need to bulldose just revitalize upgrade and add luxury amenities to whats already there.......if you wanted to merely gentrify, "EOTR" (I keep using quotes bc NO ONE I know thats actually FROM DC actually uses that term) you could just upgrade whats already there and boom its gentrified......

The question was density and how to increase it. This is where my bulldozing and facelift concept came in.

Most of that area looks like this

if you want to INCREASE density youre probably gonna need to make most of it look like this:

or at most like this

this is all im saying.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
how would you use imminent domain without a major public works project being done in the area? And to merely gentrify you dont need to bulldose just revitalize upgrade and add luxury amenities to whats already there.......if you wanted to merely gentrify, "EOTR" (I keep using quotes bc NO ONE I know thats actually FROM DC actually uses that term) you could just upgrade whats already there and boom its gentrified......

The question was density and how to increase it. This is where my bulldozing and facelift concept came in.

Most of that area looks like this

if you want to INCREASE density youre probably gonna need to make most of it look like this:

or at most like this

this is all im saying.
How do you know nobody from DC uses the term "EOTR" and who cares if they do or not? Stereotypes are silly.

EOTR is a better location to add major density than a lot of other parts of the city. Remember that high density creates more tax dollars. A 14 story apartment building can occupy the same land space as four row houses. Stacking people is more lucrative than spreading them out on limited land.

This is why bulldozing the place is more favorable than just renovating it. Unless an area is flagged as "historic" there is little incentive not to just bulldoze it and build something much better. I'm not claiming or assuming 100% of the land EOTR will be redeveloped. But I'm confident the most neglected, poor and decaying parts will be leveled in time and replaced with new development. This is especially true along Metro and future streetcar routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: