Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
I still think that I am one of the most off pissed people in Washington for some of the reasons noted in this article: Gluten Found in Portland’s Water Supply - The Daily Currant

I've given trying to have any helpful, informative discussion on "chemtrails" and gluten.

"No, the Government isn't spraying chemicals on you. Those are called `contrails' ..." - "They didn't used to look like that!" - "Maybe engineers have developed newer, more efficient jet engines?" - "You haven't done your research on the Internet! Oh, check out my new bong!"

"There's no reason to waste money on gluten-free products unless you have Celiac's disease. If you are really concerned about having Celiac's disease, there is a blood test that is 95% sensitive. But you really shouldn't pay to have an EGD to absolutely certain..."
I am pissed off at the article.
I would be happy to argue about Gluten....

Dam Monsanto using us as lab rats to see how far the can mutate food from it's natural form to maximize corporate profits...

Gluten allergies are on the rise because they have mucked with Wheat so much our bodies do not even recognize it anymore...

Spelt and Triticale two old grains that the likes of Monsanto have not messed with... Funny people do not have gluten allergies as frequently with them.....

Pissed yep... And for good reason...%*#@ $^*#$!! are messing with our food and telling us we are crazy when we say we do not feel good from it.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 PM

268 posts, read 366,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Dam Monsanto using us as lab rats to see how far the can mutate food from it's natural form to maximize corporate profits...
I apologize for mentioning Monsanto. I had no idea that was such a controversial issue about which I know little. Searching for the "M" word in the U.S. Forums displays much activity in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:26 PM

268 posts, read 366,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Many a fine Okies in this world.. Matter of fact my neighbor is of Okie dust bowl decent via the California central valley. Talk about stories... One day you will have to try one of my tomatoes...Got to grow them in an open ended hoop house to get some heat for sweetness, and got to run them real dry. Too much water ruins a tomato.. That and not using those new fangled GMO varieties engineered for appearance and productivity not for flavor. I save all my own seeds, make my genetic selections the good ole fashioned way with the help of mother nature not some lab rats at Monsanto.
The memorable Okie tomatoes being grown in a drought are being funded by The Noble Foundation not Monsanto. I told the grower "You could make a lot of money if you could sell these in Seattle." (And maybe these reports of masses of pissed off Washingtonians would abate.) As it is, he is making decent money from people driving from the Dallas-Forth Worth metroplex just to buy his tomatoes. I'll try to find out if the tomato seeds are available for sale and shipment, and if so, I'll post that info in CD's gardening section. Western Washington may not have enough sunlight to grow those deliciously soothing tomatoes, but I strongly suspect that there are quite a lot of indoor growing operations on the wet side of the state. And if they grow so well in sunny sand, then perhaps the Eastsiders could help calm down Seattle.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:36 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Here again we see the posters who feel the pain of difference being something they can't abide, and by extension want the whole world to either feel their pain or explain why. Yes I suppose a whole state could be pissed off, but-----I don't buy the OP's take on Washington being such a place. Maybe the fact of his "Texas-ness" could serve as an explanation, LOL. Was he expecting Mayberry? The big cities in our state are now inhabited by anybody BUT Washingtonians, I grew up here and never felt much hostility that went beyond the usual crap that the average American knows is just part of living in a politically polarized nation, and, his political bent is probably closer to the truth about REAL the source of his rancor.........

Old 08-21-2014, 05:39 PM

318 posts, read 629,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Here again we see the posters who feel the pain of difference being something they can't abide, and by extension want the whole world to either feel their pain or explain why. Yes I suppose a whole state could be pissed off, but-----I don't buy the OP's take on Washington being such a place. Maybe the fact of his "Texas-ness" could serve as an explanation, LOL. Was he expecting Mayberry? The big cities in our state are now inhabited by anybody BUT Washingtonians, I grew up here and never felt much hostility that went beyond the usual crap that the average American knows is just part of living in a politically polarized nation, and, his political bent is probably closer to the truth about REAL the source of his rancor.........
I agree. I'm always amused at people who move here and complain about how the "natives" or "locals" can't drive properly, aren't friendly, aren't very sophisticated, etc.
My answer is that the majority of people who now live in Western Washington, especially around Puget Sound, aren't locals or natives. They are people who moved here relatively recently from other states. So, if you have a problem with the people here, it's with yourself and your fellow immigrants, not us natives who are now in the minority. But we welcome you anyway.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
I agree. I'm always amused at people who move here and complain about how the "natives" or "locals" can't drive properly, aren't friendly, aren't very sophisticated, etc.
My answer is that the majority of people who now live in Western Washington, especially around Puget Sound, aren't locals or natives. They are people who moved here relatively recently from other states. So, if you have a problem with the people here, it's with yourself and your fellow immigrants, not us natives who are now in the minority. But we welcome you anyway.
It could be those unpredictible property taxes in Washington.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:24 AM

318 posts, read 629,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
It could be those unpredictible property taxes in Washington.
Huh?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The only people I see who are constantly pissed off are a few posters on CD who have been driven mad by politics, religion, and personality disorders.
This is so true. This distorts the image of so many cities.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:28 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Bad weather makes people resentful and unhappy.
Yes it does. This is why I'm grouchy as hell in Summer Too much sunlight and heat anymore.

So ready for Fall and Winter. BTW, I live in King County so you can let that sink in

We're moving to Anchorage, Alaska within the year. I will be much happier there!

Old 09-12-2014, 01:31 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
People here are cordial. They are not friendly and don't let them delude themselves into thinking "we're friendly!". No, they are not; they wouldn't know friendly if it hit them upside the head and punched them square in the kisser. Take them to the deep south and they may go into a catatonic fit and run and curl up into the fetal position on the spot.

It's been said on this forum many, many times. People in Western Washington are a very passive aggressive bunch. Say "Hi!" to them on a sidewalk and they may look at you like you have a gigantic dong growing out of your forehead and an ulterior motive to go with it.

I had a woman from Oregon stop me the other day and ask for directions. She was older and needed help and was very upfront in asking me for assistance. After giving her directions, I asked her where she was from and she said "Bend, OR, but originally from Texas" as she touched my arm like an older southern lady typically does. Yeah...you don't see that type of behavior from the natives up here.

I've lived here for 16 years and I too am a Southern Transplant. They are cordial, they are not friendly.

That is all.
Couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington