Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times

Advertisements

Standard time should be used year-round. There are a variety of reasons to scrap DST (you can search for them yourself - websites are easy to find), but foremost among them is that it is fundamentally a deception contrary to proper timekeeping, and discriminates against early-risers in favor of night owls, who like to experience the nightlife when it is dark anyway. The crowd that wants more daylight in the evening should shift their work hours earlier, so that they can get more evening daylight the right way. DST is also useless when it comes to saving energy. The time change also wreaks havoc with people and has deleterious effects, so it is best to stick with one time. Since DST is intolerable and untenable when it comes to having it all winter, Standard time is the one to pick if only one must be chosen.

Another black mark against it is that it goes on for too long, especially later in the year. If one is to have Daylight Saving Time, the best schedule to have in America is from early April to early September, so that the mornings are never artificially dark before 6 AM, and to ease the transition to the shorter days, which a early November change fails at. One of the Farmer's Almanacs had a piece on this issue at one point. The current American and Canadian schedule is from early March to early November, much longer and later than the schedule outlined above. The primary reason for the later change is that out-of-touch politicians thought that everyone wanted to go trick-or-treating in daylight . Needless to say that is not accurate, so now the children still wait until nightfall to make their rounds, which further disrupts the morning school routine.

Daylight Saving Time is a horrific policy that needs to be abolished. I personally observe Standard Time year-round, and daily life is no more difficult than needing to mentally convert times between different time zones. If governments won't abolish DST, then the people can do it themselves.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
If one is to have Daylight Saving Time, the best schedule to have in America is from early April to early September, so that the mornings are never artificially dark before 6 AM, and to ease the transition to the shorter days, which a early November change fails at.
I assume you meant after.

I would pick 7 AM as the standard not 6 AM, which would be mid March to mid October. Summer without daylight savings time is silly; few people are active at 6 AM or before (without daylight savings my June sunrise would be a little bit after 4 AM) let alone 5 AM. Plenty of people are from 7-9 PM, and dark evenings are a pain and I dislike bicycling in the dark or not being able to being outside in daylight after woking hours.

I think the current system is close to ideal, and I'm very glad the government legislated it, as it's hard for people to able to move their schedules on their own.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Here in the UK they were planning on keeping the time the same year-round, but people in the north are firmly opposed to it as it wold mean 10am sunrises in parts of Scotland. It was tried before and it resulted in the deaths of school children I believe.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
The best way to deal with daylight issues in winter in the UK, to keep commutes in decent light, is clearly obvious.

We make night time hours (like 2 o clokc, 3 o clokc, etc..) worth two hours each, then back to the typical hour length hour when it's 6am, so that at 6 am it is already light even in December. Then, we cut out hours from the daytime, so it goes from 9am to 1pm in just one hour, so after an hour's work it's already lunch time. Then we cut out 3pm and it goes from 2pm to 4pm in one hour, so we have another two hour's work in the afternoon and go home in daylight also. Work sucks anyway, we'll have more time in bed which would suit me down to the ground, and it's a awesome idea. Obivously.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,671,374 times
I would prefer to have the sunrise/sunset times of somewhere in the tropics, compared to where I am now. (winnipeg)

The earliest sunset is 4:27pm in dec, . latest sunset is 9:40 pm june

Earliest sunrise is 5:19 am june, while the latest sunrise is 8:27am jan

compare to somwhere in the tropics where: (darwin)

earliest sun set is 6:30 pm, and latest sunset is 7:25 pm

early sunrise is 6:00 am, latest is 7:10 am

Old 03-15-2012, 02:41 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
I really like the long summer days here. Having equal sunlight hours all year round is totally alien to me.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times
I like the compromise idea myself. Go exactly half way between and keep it there all year. (In other words 1000 standard time would become 1030 compromise time, and therefore 1100 daylight time, would also be 1030 compromise time).

Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I really like the long summer days here. Having equal sunlight hours all year round is totally alien to me.
Whole heartedly agree with this!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:57 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,657,967 times
Me too, particularly when I lived up north my favourite thing about the summer was the long evenings because unlike warm, settled weather at least they were a guaranteed sign that it was summer. And when I rule this country British Summer Time will start at the end of February once the potential for horrible dark mornings has passed - the 06:11 -18:07 of tomorrow would be so much more useable if it were 07:11 - 19:07, don't you think?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
Me three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather