Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 01:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Is the cloudiness all of Britain or locally concentrated ? Any rain associated with it? Our very long cloudy spells generally involve heavy rain or at least lots of rain nearby and we are getting the edge of it

Old 11-07-2015, 01:44 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Is the cloudiness all of Britain or locally concentrated ? Any rain associated with it? Our very long cloudy spells generally involve heavy rain or at least lots of rain nearby and we are getting the edge of it
A few coastal places have done better, but it's been pretty widespread. We are the only 0.0, but plenty of places spread around the country have had less than five hours.

A lot of the country had fog the first two or three days, then rain and wind with frontal systems coming in quick succession (i.e. not many sunny breaks in between).

It's been that mild that some places on the south coast haven't even been under 10C!

The month so far - in the British Isles

Old 11-07-2015, 02:45 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,887 times
I can't stand these conditions anymore! I got bored with the permanent sunshine without phenomenons in November. And these highs of 18-20 C and subfreezing lows in the same day are a troll! Clear days in Ioannina are like this and it is not healthy to have so strong temperature inversion.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructiveCritism View Post
Please be aware that snowfall days are difficult to estimate for anywhere in Europe. European national weather services do not attempt to record snowfall statistics as frequently as NOAA.

I would question the reliability of sites like Ogimet.

I would say that North Western Scotland or the Faroe Islands would be the place to see the most falling snow per annum. I would never at any point, consider heading to Belgium for snow, remember the Arctic sourced air masses mix out by the time they get there.

They do not have late season snows e.g April either as the Continent warms up rapidly come March ,wereas Scotland would not nearly warm up as quickly.
Yes dear I use ogimet to calculate anything I calculated snowfall statistics (days that the station recorded a snowfall) for Bergen Norway in the period 2000-2014. The number is 33,2 days with snowfall per year. I think it is not bad for an oceanic climate.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:19 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructiveCritism View Post
Please be aware that snowfall days are difficult to estimate for anywhere in Europe. European national weather services do not attempt to record snowfall statistics as frequently as NOAA.

I would question the reliability of sites like Ogimet.

I would say that North Western Scotland or the Faroe Islands would be the place to see the most falling snow per annum. I would never at any point, consider heading to Belgium for snow, remember the Arctic sourced air masses mix out by the time they get there.

They do not have late season snows e.g April either as the Continent warms up rapidly come March
Yes, we have great late season snows in April or even in May in mainland Europe, especially in those mountain ranges we have in southern Europe, like the Alps, the Pyrenees, or the highlands plateaus to the Iberia peninsula where I live.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:38 PM

And here in some high elevated places like Kastoria, Kozani, Florina, Ptolemaida or in villages in mountains we have snowfalls in April. In 2003 it snowed in April even in lowland cities in North Greece like Serres, Thessaloniki, etc...

Old 11-08-2015, 09:31 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,338 times
WTF

Coastal oceanic northern Spain is recording 30°C (Santander Airport) today.
El Tiempo. Datos: Santander Aeropuerto - Resumen domingo 08 - Tabla - Agencia Estatal de Meteorología - AEMET. Gobierno de España

San Sebastian Airport : 29.6°C
El Tiempo. Datos: San Sebastián Aeropuerto - Resumen domingo 08 - Tabla - Agencia Estatal de Meteorología - AEMET. Gobierno de España

And those probably aren't even the final values.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:38 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
WTF

Coastal oceanic northern Spain is recording 30°C (Santander Airport) today.
[url=http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=&l=1109&w=1&datos=img&f=]El Tiempo. Datos: Santander Aeropuerto - Resumen domingo 08 - Tabla - Agencia Estatal de Meteorología - AEMET. Gobierno de España[/url]

San Sebastian Airport : 29.6°C
[url=http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=pva&l=1014A&w=1&datos=det]El Tiempo. Datos: San Sebastián Aeropuerto - Resumen domingo 08 - Tabla - Agencia Estatal de Meteorología - AEMET. Gobierno de España[/url]

And those probably aren't even the final values.
That is very impressive!

SW France and NW Spain seems to do best for heat at this time of year!

Old 11-08-2015, 11:29 AM

58 posts, read 34,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
I can't stand these conditions anymore! I got bored with the permanent sunshine without phenomenons in November. And these highs of 18-20 C and subfreezing lows in the same day are a troll! Clear days in Ioannina are like this and it is not healthy to have so strong temperature inversion.
you and the brittish forumers need to switch places lol.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:40 PM

Well I 've finished with snow statistics of capital cities in UK. Unfortunately Cardiff doesn't send data to ogimet so it is out of my survey. Edinburgh receives 11,8 days with snowfall per year in the period 2000-2014 (last 15 years), London 7 days with snowfall and Dublin 6,5 days with snowfall. I calculated only days that the weather station recorded a snowfall. Not sleet. Today I will contunue with Reykjavik and Paris. Tomorrow I will calculate Amsterdam, Brussels and maybe Madrid. Just to see the number of snowfall days per year in the capital cities of NW Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather