Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 08:56 AM

58 posts, read 33,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
^^ Where in Belgium do you live?
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasterlee

Old 10-07-2016, 10:39 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I'm talking about the younger dryas my friend. When the thermohaline circulation in the Atlantic completely stopped. Forget little ice age or cold winters recently. This was cooling on an epic scale. Anyways I stand corrected after all I just typed found an interesting article, seems the abrupt cooling in Europe has to do with atmosphere not ocean. Apparently Europe can thank the rocky mountains for the mild climate. There were times where Europe cooled 30 degrees at once and those were the events I am referring to.

The Gulf Stream Myth
Well you didn't specify which particular "sudden cooling" events you were alluding to & the "Younger Dryas" affected the entire northern hemisphere, not just Europe...

But as you have discovered these cooling events are due to various causes, solar flares, volcanic eruptions etc...

So if Europe cools significantly, many other parts of the world are also very likely to cool, including north America

Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
European winters are going to get milder and milder. Coconut palms will be growing in Portsmouth soon, while North Carolina will become a tundra (if it isn't already one!!).

Old 10-07-2016, 12:39 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
European winters are going to get milder and milder. Coconut palms will be growing in Portsmouth soon, while North Carolina will become a tundra (if it isn't already one!!).
Thank you! I'll be able to hunt polar bears soon! Lmao.....

Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Well you didn't specify which particular "sudden cooling" events you were alluding to & the "Younger Dryas" affected the entire northern hemisphere, not just Europe...

But as you have discovered these cooling events are due to various causes, solar flares, volcanic eruptions etc...

So if Europe cools significantly, many other parts of the world are also very likely to cool, including north America
Actually believe it or not Europe is affected more so. The little ice age featured a la Nina like pattern which meant one of the only warmer places was right here in the southeastern us. Also global warming predictions that George has posted show Europe cooling. Gulf Stream has an affect on Europe but I will reiterate it is not the sole or biggest reason why Europe is mild but it plays a significant role and if it does shutdown you will see cooling. That's just that, as will eastern Canada and new england. But more so northwestern europe. Who knows this is just a prediction that is widely accepted though, no one has experienced a gulf stream shutdown and we won't know what happens till it does.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:56 PM

58 posts, read 33,515 times
What is happening right now in Europe is because of a very negative AO,nothing to do with a gulf stream slowdown and that's not gonna happen any time soon unless the world itself stops,shutting down the gulf stream with it.
It's totally out of balance up there and Europe pays for it with cold way too early in the season,once again.
Someone has more chance to be accurate trying to hit a bullseye behind a tree,while sitting in a rollercoaster,than those "predictions" have.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:46 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Actually believe it or not Europe is affected more so. The little ice age featured a la Nina like pattern which meant one of the only warmer places was right here in the southeastern us. Also global warming predictions that George has posted show Europe cooling. Gulf Stream has an affect on Europe but I will reiterate it is not the sole or biggest reason why Europe is mild but it plays a significant role and if it does shutdown you will see cooling. That's just that, as will eastern Canada and new england. But more so northwestern europe. Who knows this is just a prediction that is widely accepted though, no one has experienced a gulf stream shutdown and we won't know what happens till it does.
How do you know Europe would be affected more? It has never happened. Other cooling periods have seen the entire northern hemisphere cooling, including the US. And as you say this is just one theory/prediction of which there are many, just like those "predictions" of global warming or cooling...

Old 10-07-2016, 04:05 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Even during the last glacial period, the ice sheet extended further south into North America than it did in Europe. In Europe, it came as far south as London/just north of London. In North America it went all the way to Chicago.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:48 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Even during the last glacial period, the ice sheet extended further south into North America than it did in Europe. In Europe, it came as far south as London/just north of London. In North America it went all the way to Chicago.
The Alps went pretty far as well. The landscape near my city of origin is full of glacial moraines. I always go up on the hill when I go back to see my parents, many people know the city (or what was there at the time) was covered in ice since there are specific geological components that date from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riss_glaciation

Not Chicago south, but 45 North still.

(Blue line is maximal extension of Riss Glaciation while Green line is the same for Wurm Glaciation - I grew up west of the green line)

Old 10-08-2016, 03:44 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
The Alps went pretty far as well. The landscape near my city of origin is full of glacial moraines. I always go up on the hill when I go back to see my parents, many people know the city (or what was there at the time) was covered in ice since there are specific geological components that date from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riss_glaciation

Not Chicago south, but 45 North still.

(Blue line is maximal extension of Riss Glaciation while Green line is the same for Wurm Glaciation - I grew up west of the green line)
The final part of my valley has moraine hills and lakes as well. The valley itself was strongly shaped by glacial erosion at the beginning. On our side of the Alps there are a lot of other structures originated from glaciers, for example the moraine amphitheater of Ivrea is quite famous too.
I'm practically sure that there were large glaciers in our valley during the last glacial period, but I don't know if all of these moraine structures formed during that event or during some of the previous glacial periods

Last edited by Urania93; 10-08-2016 at 03:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather