Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 09:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

light snow flurries this morning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 10:42 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
light snow flurries this morning
Light snow here, nothing sticking yet but can't believe its 30°F almost 1pm. Wind making it feel like 20s. And snowing with small flakes. January weather. Awesome.

See how the pressure lines bend inwards from the Ocean towards the West? Inverted Trough. terrain & hills enhance snowfall from it. Clearly see it from the current radar. Except the Capes of course.

Another look. With High pressure moving in, those "lines" should be bending outward as normally do. But because there's a storm over the waters, it's inverting the trough. Cool

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/sfctest/new/...r=19&parm=pmsl

Temp departures..
Check out the South. 15-20 below normal right now. Atlanta 43F

Old 03-28-2015, 11:11 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Oh please oh please let this come true.

Is that really the possibility of temps actually approaching our averages for more than one day? I'll believe it when I feel it.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:24 AM

Wish we had more knowledge, studies, and reports of how the sun affects our weather and climate.

Definitely a Lag effect.

Perhaps the peaking Sunspots of the late 80s/early 90s was the reason for the peak in global surface temps in the late 90s. And maybe the globe has been cooling since because the cycles are shorter and the sun is dimmer with less sun spots.. Maybe the Warm years are because of the recent peaks of sunspots.

Perhaps we had historic cold and snows around lately because we bottomed in late 2000s. Now we're peaking already with solar Cycle 24 and heading back down.

You just never know but we do know it does have affect on Earth. I think I read less sun = more clouds on earth too. (think warmer nights)

Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Even if those are true, though some temperatures here often mean mediocre ones up here with a bunch of frosts; highs are harder to judge: sometimes there's little difference in highs just lows, other times a big difference (like recently and some previous springs). I'm leaning towards a big difference with all the snow and severe cold up north. We still have snow cover which is just about melted out, but the hills and northern New England will take another few weeks. Talked to guy living in the hills (900-1000 feet, I'm at 200 feet) and he said his yard still has a foot of snow. For some reason the valley here seemed to have been in a relative low spot for snow this year.

Anyhow, I hate delayed springs. This is worse than usual but it always takes a while here. If there was one change I could make for our climate it would be a faster spring warm-up, instead of a tedious winter-lite weather.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Even if those are true, though some temperatures here often mean mediocre ones up here with a bunch of frosts; highs are harder to judge: sometimes there's little difference in highs just lows, other times a big difference (like recently and some previous springs). I'm leaning towards a big difference with all the snow and severe cold up north. We still have snow cover which is just about melted out, but the hills and northern New England will take another few weeks. Talked to guy living in the hills (900-1000 feet, I'm at 200 feet) and he said his yard still has a foot of snow. For some reason the valley here seemed to have been in a relative low spot for snow this year.

Anyhow, I hate delayed springs. This is worse than usual but it always takes a while here. If there was one change I could make for our climate it would be a faster spring warm-up, instead of a tedious winter-lite weather.
There's still 1-2" snowpack around here in spots. 3-5" 20-30 minutes from here. 5-12" in parts of northern CT in spots elevation dependent there.. Few in this thread I started saying they still have snow in CT.

Hartford, CT 06101 Area Snow Depth

Old 03-28-2015, 11:40 AM

February was the coldest month on record (but not by much), March will come close. What if this continues?! Seems like the records are practical limits, it's very unlikely for a month to reach much colder than record breaking cold. Anyhow, if every month of the year was the coldest on record. I took the max/min for the coldest month on record for each month. So for many months, the max or min may not be the coldest on record, just the mean is. January is from January 1961 [reached -30°F that month, coldest temperature recorded!], February is from February 2015. A lot of months were from the 1890s-1910s:

Cold weather today, cold weather tomorrow, cold weather forever!

normals:

August is surprising, but the difference isn't as drastic in the summer. Even the coldest possible summer isn't cold... Looks like it could be somewhere in southern Quebec or upper Michigan.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:45 AM

https://twitter.com/DrShepherd2013/s...74199947579393

Old 03-28-2015, 12:13 PM

269 posts, read 237,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Its 7 am and its only 38 so no freeze! !!!!!!! Forecast for tonight though on other hand is 30 I hope that one busts also!
It also got down to about 38F here, forecast was 39F. Currently the temperature is 55F with a high of 59F (lowered from 61F) predicted, and a low of 38F overnight.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 PM

269 posts, read 237,733 times
Quote:
February was the coldest month on record (but not by much), March will come close. What if this continues?! Seems like the records are practical limits, it's very unlikely for a month to reach much colder than record breaking cold. Anyhow, if every month of the year was the coldest on record. I took the max/min for the coldest month on record for each month. So for many months, the max or min may not be the coldest on record, just the mean is. January is from January 1961 [reached -30°F that month, coldest temperature recorded!], February is from February 2015. A lot of months were from the 1890s-1910s:

Cold weather today, cold weather tomorrow, cold weather forever!

normals:

August is surprising, but the difference isn't as drastic in the summer. Even the coldest possible summer isn't cold... Looks like it could be somewhere in southern Quebec or upper Michigan.
It's hard for me to imagine waking up to freezing temperatures in August!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather