Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
15-30 March (never happened) 0 0%
1-15 April 0 0%
16-30 April 3 5.45%
1-15 May 6 10.91%
16-31 May 14 25.45%
1-15 June 14 25.45%
16 June or later 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:36 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Another stupid London debate.. it gets so boring...

Heathrow doesn't even record the hottest temperatures in the London area - Gravesend does and it is not even in the UHI (technically it is not in London, although it is about the same distance from central London as Heathrow)

London as a whole generally reaches 30C every year, the last time not being 22 years ago in 1993.. Heathrow might have had a few more instances though, it is silly to judge the whole climate of London on just Heathrow alone which is in the suburbs.

That aside, what is so special about 30C anyway? Last July here was very nice - only a record max of 30.3C at Heathrow but an average July temp of nearly 26C. Summers here are generally very stable, we don't often get much above 32C in mid summer, but then again we very very rarely go below 19C in mid summer as well.

This looks very pleasant to me, although a bit boring - July 2014:

Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de London (UK)
You're right about Gravesend.

Some major cities where the main airport is located doesn't represent the city's climate well.
I don't think that is the case with Heathrow.
For a huge city like London, Heathrow is imo is pretty much in the city. .
Average lows in central London might be a couple of degrees warmer, but I doubt the
average highs are much different at all.
I think Heathrow presents the London climate well.
Show me official 1981-2010 stats anywhere else in London substantially warmer,
I'd really like to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:41 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,693 times
Quote:
Another stupid London debate.. it gets so boring...

Heathrow doesn't even record the hottest temperatures in the London area - Gravesend does and it is not even in the UHI (technically it is not in London, although it is about the same distance from central London as Heathrow)

London as a whole generally reaches 30C every year, the last time not being 22 years ago in 1993.. Heathrow might have had a few more instances though, it is silly to judge the whole climate of London on just Heathrow alone which is in the suburbs.

That aside, what is so special about 30C anyway? Last July here was very nice - only a record max of 30.3C at Heathrow but an average July temp of nearly 26C. Summers here are generally very stable, we don't often get much above 32C in mid summer, but then again we very very rarely go below 19C in mid summer as well.

This looks very pleasant to me, although a bit boring - July 2014:

Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de London (UK)
Where did it reach 30C in 2007 and 2008?

Old 03-15-2015, 10:44 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
If Gravesend or some hick county in LA are "in the metro area", I could as well use Lahti's heat records for Helsinki, damn it.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:44 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
You're right about Gravesend.

Some major cities where the main airport is located doesn't represent the city's climate well.
I don't think that is the case with Heathrow.
For a huge city like London, Heathrow is imo is pretty much in the city. .
Average lows in central London might be a couple of degrees warmer, but I doubt the
average highs are much different at all.
I think Heathrow presents the London climate well.
Show me official 1981-2010 stats anywhere else in London substantially warmer,
I'd really like to see.
I agree that central London has probably roughly the same highs as Heathrow (although LWC shows the centre to be about 1C warmer in April, May, June, September). I disagree that Heathrow is in the city - I have lived 10 minutes away from Heathrow my entire life and it is certainly not in a very urban area, lots of countryside around it.

UHI for London only really seems to count for low temperatures, not high temperatures, which is not really surprising at all. You can see it below on the wikipedia page for London, although I think that the LWC UHI station only has about 15 years of data, but that has included both some of our hottest months on record along with our coolest on record (July 2006, August 2003, July 2007,2008, Spring 2013, December 2010 for example) so it gives you a rough idea that the effect of the UHI really only counts for low temperatures.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Climate[/url]

Old 03-15-2015, 10:47 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Where did it reach 30C in 2007 and 2008?
I forgot the exact locations and have to go to work now, but it is on the Met office year summary page I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
If Gravesend or some hick county in LA are "in the metro area", I could as well use Lahti's heat records for Helsinki, damn it.
The only difference is that Gravesend is actually only about 20km from central London, some of the places LA-Mex uses for LA are actually about 100+km away from LA

Old 03-15-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
The only difference is that Gravesend is actually only about 20km from central London, some of the places LA-Mex uses for LA are actually about 100+km away from LA
So? I don't cherrypick temps from Rajakari (the lighthouse), Salo or Saint Catherine's either, though they are all less than 20 km away except from Salo.

One weather station is one weather station and you should stick to it.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
London is a lot bigger than Turku so it's a dumb comparison. If one station in London reached 32C then London reached 32C. Simple.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:06 AM

824 posts, read 688,843 times
Be glad your first 27*C day is so late, mine is tomorrow :/

Old 03-15-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London is a lot bigger than Turku so it's a dumb comparison. If one station in London reached 32C then London reached 32C. Simple.
Why? So obnoxiously sized metro areas have a cherrypicking advantage while smaller cities don't? This gives a tremendous advantage to the big cities as they have many weather stations to choose from, while small cities have to stick to one. Size does matter?

Ok, I will use Rajakari and Salo for the record highs and lows this year. Or even Kiikala.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:33 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why? So obnoxiously sized metro areas have a cherrypicking advantage while smaller cities don't? This gives a tremendous advantage to the big cities as they have many weather stations to choose from, while small cities have to stick to one. Size does matter?

Ok, I will use Rajakari and Salo for the record highs and lows this year. Or even Kiikala.
That is precisely the case, yes. Especially if the cities are highly variable in terms of topography. Use whatever stations you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather