Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 02:09 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Huh. You missed out all the rain early this week. Haven't seen any grass as dry as yours. What's the advantage of non-drought tolerant grass? Healthy large tomatoes there.
Yup, we got drizzle and missed the decent rainfalls. July 18th was last time we had any and it was only 0.45"

Non-drought tolerant grasses look better to me. Thinner blades, vivid green, like a carpet when cut short. Also better for foot traffic and shade areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:04 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,342,651 times
Quote:
Huh. You missed out all the rain early this week. Haven't seen any grass as dry as yours. What's the advantage of non-drought tolerant grass? Healthy large tomatoes there.
The grass here is drier than that. I see why some people around here have warm-season grass (idk which variety), it looks hideous in the winter, but it seems to do better in the summer than the native grass.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:30 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,695,441 times
Wanted to buy me some fresh fruit after seeing Cambiums picture.

Wanted to share some images from my long drive into Northern (Arctic) Norway.

The Arctic Circle very fittingly cuts through Norway exactly where the main road north and only railway crosses over a mountain plateau (Saltfjell) at 700 m asl.

Many drivers stop on Saltfjell, might take some photos...

Driving further north, this is the valley just north of the Arctic Circle, Saltdalen (100 m asl)

This "Arctic beach" is much further north (Near Harstad), 250 km further north:

Waiting for the ferry to cross Tysfjord, also way north of the Arctic Circle. This was a later day, and warmer, ca 20C.

On the ferry

A view from the ferry.
Mountain goes from the fjord up to ca 1,200 m / 3800 ft asl.
If you look closely, you can see a small area with lighter green down by the fjord, with two small dots in, a little to the right of the center of the image. Those are two houses surrounded by a little farmed land.

Kråkmo mountain near the road. A smaller but very distinct mountain.

A lake (Kobbvatnet) and mountains near the same road. Also north of the Arctic Circle.

Last edited by Jakobsli; 07-29-2015 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 03:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
I'd love to be above the Arctic Circle — in shorts weather.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:52 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,821,176 times
Beachy Head, 20 miles East of Brighton.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:13 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,264,137 times
Exhausting day

Hopefully tomorrow is much better having got some rest.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Wanted to buy me some fresh fruit after seeing Cambiums picture.

Wanted to share some images from my long drive into Northern (Arctic) Norway.

The Arctic Circle very fittingly cuts through Norway exactly where the main road north and only railway crosses over a mountain plateau (Saltfjell) at 700 m asl.

Many drivers stop on Saltfjell, might take some photos...

Driving further north, this is the valley just north of the Arctic Circle, Saltdalen (100 m asl)

This "Arctic beach" is much further north (Near Harstad), 250 km further north:

Waiting for the ferry to cross Tysfjord, also way north of the Arctic Circle. This was a later day, and warmer, ca 20C.

On the ferry

A view from the ferry.
Mountain goes from the fjord up to ca 1,200 m / 3800 ft asl.
If you look closely, you can see a small area with lighter green down by the fjord, with two small dots in, a little to the right of the center of the image. Those are two houses surrounded by a little farmed land.

Kråkmo mountain near the road. A smaller but very distinct mountain.

A lake (Kobbvatnet) and mountains near the same road. Also north of the Arctic Circle.
Awesome. Very nice pictures.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:12 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,461,068 times
Very orange sunset!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
9:30 this morning. Humid enough that the hills were partially covered in fog:

Evening. River's kinda dirty but felt good to dip in, swim. If swimming 20 feet counts

Old 07-30-2015, 06:55 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Evening. River's kinda dirty but felt good to dip in, swim. If swimming 20 feet counts
Hmmm, I see hiking boots then I see 2 sets of sandals. Which are yours and did you know them?

I love swimming! I own a condo I rent which is a walk away from the beach in Milford, CT that has an indoor pool in the complex.

Unfortunately Hurricane Sandy destroyed it and flooded the entire building beyond repair. FEMA gave us $71,000 for the damages.

The board sent out a letter to vote on what residents of the association wanted to do.

1. Tear down the building and rebuild a new pool/club house. $950,000 (residents would be assessed)

2. Tear down building and leave lot empty for possible garden or additional parking (which we didn't need) $95,000

Option 2 was the least expensive.

Front entrance. You can see from this picture how the complex sits on a flat area and is sloped from the top. Almost like a soup bowl. Beach is to the left. Pool house is straight back ahead.

Pool/Club House.

Inside..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather