Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think any major city in Australia has a real winter?
Yes 41 42.71%
No 55 57.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:18 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Exactly.

Being 5 or 10C colder than summer averages does not constitute a "real" winter. Sure, it might feel a little chilly relative to summer averages, and astronomically speaking it may constitute a winter. But without decent snowpack and subfreezing temperatures, it just wouldn't feel "wintry."

@flamingGalah and ghost-likin: Yes, that includes most of the UK and most of North Carolina, imo. Even NYC (where I live) has a half-assed winter, with sunny 5C weather and lack of persistent snowpack.
^ To have a real winter, in my opinion the mean for the coldest month has to be <45F and snowfall must be at least 5 inches per annum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 01:25 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,601,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
^ To have a real winter, in my opinion the mean for the coldest month has to be <45F and snowfall must be at least 5 inches per annum.
Our winter mean is around 42f but we get nowhere near 5" of snow. Does that mean we don't have a winter either?

Old 09-05-2015, 01:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,806,017 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Being 5 or 10C colder than summer averages does not constitute a "real" winter. Sure, it might feel a little chilly relative to summer averages, and astronomically speaking it may constitute a winter. But without decent snowpack and subfreezing temperatures, it just wouldn't feel "wintry."

@flamingGalah and ghost-likin: Yes, that includes most of the UK and most of North Carolina, imo. Even NYC (where I live) has a half-assed winter, with sunny 5C weather and lack of persistent snowpack.
agreed. actually, in the grand scheme of things, a winter average of 0C, -5C or even -10C is not that cold at all. most of the landmass in the NH +45-50N averages below that.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:21 PM

35,079 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
This. Snowfall in Canberra is very low as well, so definitely not a real winter.

IMO, a "real winter" is a climate which satisfies at least two out of three of the following conditions:

-mean temperature below 0C (32F) from Dec-Feb (NH) or June-Aug (SH)
-snowfall of at least 50cm (20 in) per annum
-at least three nights below -20C (-4F) per annum

So, for example, Charlotte Pass is an Australian climate with a real winter. It's not a city, though, and has no permanent residents.
Canberra would be the closes of a major city.

By your definition New York City doesn't have a "real winter" since there is no month that has a mean temperature below 32F and NYC last hit -4F, I believe, in 1934. Clearly NYC is a winter city.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:48 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,032,668 times
Wow. Well I'd love for you all to tell everyone in the UK that they don't get a winter lol...

People saying it isn't relative & you must get X mean temperature & X amount of snow to class as having a "winter", well it IS relative & that is your own personal perceived image of what "winter" should be, not actually what winter is. Winter is simply the coolest season, it does NOT have to have freezing temperatures & feet of snow Just as summer does not have to have average temperatures over 80F & weeks of 90F+ temperatures...

Old 09-05-2015, 03:58 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,460,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Clearly NYC is a winter city.
I disagree.

NYC has average winter highs of 5C, sunny weather, and a largely inconsistent snowpack. Temps can frequently rise to 10 or even 15C in the midst of winter. That's not particularly wintry if you ask me. But yeah, there are rare exceptions to those rules I stated. For example, I think that Akita is quite wintry despite not meeting two of those conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

People saying it isn't relative & you must get X mean temperature & X amount of snow to class as having a "winter", well it IS relative & that is your own personal perceived image of what "winter" should be, not actually what winter is. Winter is simply the coolest season, it does NOT have to have freezing temperatures & feet of snow
This question pertains to what we feel is a REAL winter, not just any winter. Hence it is open to opinion. It is your opinion that a real winter is simply a cooler season, and it is my opinion that a real winter requires snow & cold.

Last edited by Shalop; 09-05-2015 at 05:22 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 04:04 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Canberra would be the closes of a major city.

By your definition New York City doesn't have a "real winter" since there is no month that has a mean temperature below 32F and NYC last hit -4F, I believe, in 1934. Clearly NYC is a winter city.
NYC is a winter city? Give me a break. It doesn't even see consistent snow pack and the average highs are in the 40s for most of the winter. Winnipeg is a winter city, not NYC.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:29 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,032,668 times
Quote:
I disagree.

NYC has average winter highs of 5C, sunny weather, and a largely inconsistent snowpack. Temps can frequently rise to 10 or even 15C in the midst of winter. That's not particularly wintry if you ask me. But yeah, there are rare exceptions to those rules I stated. For example, I think that Akita is quite wintry despite not meeting two of those conditions.

This question pertains to what we feel is a REAL winter, not just any winter. Hence it is open to opinion. It is your opinion that a real winter is simply a cooler season, and it is my opinion that a real winter requires snow & cold.
So the UK has a pretend winter then? Or a proper "winter" & not ,in your opinion, a "real" winter?

Jeez...

Which points me back to the point I made about it being relative...

Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,191 times
I am going in a different direction...

Snowplows = winter

If a place does not have to spend millions on snowplows and snow removal equipment, and it doesn't have a plan in place to clear the streets, then it has a mild winter.

For people who live in milder climates, temperatures of 10c/50f seems cold, but to those who live in harsher climates it is mild. Last month (August) the nighttime low dropped to 49f in Denver, and we slept with the windows open enjoying the cool air.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:40 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,602,283 times
For me "winter" relates to daylight length and sunshine. I can dress for temperature variabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather