Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 11:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times

Advertisements

This. Seeing British posters comment in early or mid spring is frustrating; they're usually further along than here. By the beginning of May, there's no longer much of difference; but it's a long, tedious wait. We have a slight fall lag, so I'd say in general we have better (especially sunnier) October weather.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:12 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
The Se of England is not descriptive or typical of the British Isles climate. The se of England doesn't even have a typical British landscape.
The highlands do not have a typical British landscape.
East Anglia is flat as a pancake and doesn't have a 'typical' British landscape.

I don't know what you're getting at, the landscape is varied throughout the UK, as in every country that is big enough.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:14 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This. Seeing British posters comment in early or mid spring is frustrating; they're usually further along than here. By the beginning of May, there's no longer much of difference; but it's a long, tedious wait. We have a slight fall lag, so I'd say in general we have better (especially sunnier) October weather.
Yes, I know last few winters have been anonymously cold so not the norm, but I have noticed we have warmed up more quickly than NE US the past few March and Springs, and things such as trees here leaving in mid April, lots of flowering and wildlife by the end of March

Old 10-11-2015, 11:20 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I either stand still and shiver and start doing physical activity and feel too hot and sweat (and then feel colder because of sweat).
And the sweat will evaporate at a faster rate, the drier the air is. That's evaporative cooling -what is true at 30C, is also true at 3C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naif12 View Post
23C is the sort of temperature indonesians can say both "hot" and "chilly"

When raining and there're clouds, 23C even with almost 100% humidity people here would say its chilly, even Cold!
But 23C with strong highland sun like in Lembang afternoon - people here, even from Jakarta, would say its "hot" even with only 50% humidity
True. I don't say that the temperature is hot at 23C with a strong sun -just that it feels hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
but I've never know anybody say dry cold feels colder than damp cold.
I think that's true -most people do associate higher humidity with cold, but only because people are seldom aware of the relative humidity. I've had two occupations, where a hydrometer was used daily. One thing I quickly discovered, was that in cooler conditions, people have little idea what the humidity is, and if they are feeling a little chilled, attribute it to high relative humidity, when the relative humidity is low.

I'm surprised I can't find ant research on this -it wouldn't be that hard of an experiment to conduct.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:20 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well it depends where they live. I can get snow in April, he can't.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
The highlands do not have a typical British landscape.
East Anglia is flat as a pancake and doesn't have a 'typical' British landscape.

I don't know what you're getting at, the landscape is varied throughout the UK, as in every country that is big enough.
No, East Anglia flat like the great plains. The rest of the British isles are hilly/mountainous with green
fields, the fields in East Anglia are black.

http://www.countrysideshow.co.uk/sit...h%20ss%201.jpg

Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 AM

865 posts, read 1,077,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I think that people think of typical highland Scottish weather when they think about UK weather as a whole, which is not fair. The eastern side of the UK is quite dry, it is not uncommon for us to go weeks without measurable rain. This year from early May - early July, we had something like 16mm.

And of course, those in continental climates even pretty far down into the NE US often have March and part of April that resembles another winter month whereas usually March and April here are very springlike. Likewise with October and November - look at Moscow, eastern Europe, Germany, northern parts of Maine etc that are seeing single digit highs already whilst we are usually very stable at this time of year and remain mild.

Of course, summers are a let down for the UK, but I don't envy some climates that get hot summers which cool down drastically by October or take half way into Spring to get above freezing.
I think that a lot of Americans probably imagine London having about the same climate that Glasgow actually does. And you're right that the UK as a whole has an undeserved reputation for being very wet. Although it is true that if you come to the UK on holiday for a week or 2 in July or August, you can not rely on getting good weather, no matter where in the country that you go.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:34 AM

865 posts, read 1,077,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well it depends where they live. I can get snow in April, he can't.
You can, but in Northern Ireland it would be very rare, unless you lived at the peak of one of the highest hills. You can get snow in much of the UK in April, but it is highly unusual.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 AM

Well it depends what you mean by snow. If you mean falling snow then no it is not rare. I seen snow in May this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmd0tWVQ0qM

Old 10-11-2015, 11:44 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
And the sweat will evaporate at a faster rate, the drier the air is. That's evaporative cooling -what is true at 30C, is also true at 3C.
Yeah, it works fine in hot temperatures (unless there is a 25c dewpoint and thus I can't really cool down with evaporation - the air is already saturated with water - which is why humid heat feels more opressive to me), but I hardly sweat at 3c, and if I do, for instance when I'm walking in deep snow, it also means that my clothing will dry faster, whereas damp clothing makes me feel colder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather