Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 01:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

I think if you were born in the UK you'd probably support Remain, given you'd be looking at it from a UK perspective not a US perspective. There are left-wing people who support Leave too, but they are few and far between.

Most left-wing people would agree that the EU is flawed, but we think the best way forward is to stay in and help reform it, not leave. More than likely we would end up in the EFTA with Norway and Switzerland so would have to comply with European laws/regulations and open borders anyway so I doubt much would change other than our ability to influence the way laws are made in Europe. It's all very silly.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Another graph. EU supporters in the UK tend to be under 40, university educated, left-wing and middle-class.
An American political graph like that would have race, it would be unusual to see a poll that bothered to breakdown by age that didn't bother to breakdown by race. That's a fairly big class/education divide there; suggests it might reflect trust in the elite / status-quo.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
An American political graph like that would have race, it would be unusual to see a poll that bothered to breakdown by age that didn't bother to breakdown by race. That's a fairly big class/education divide there; suggests it might reflect trust in the elite / status-quo.
There are race statistics in the UK but I don't think polling companies bother asking about race. Might seem intrusive.

Yeah, possibly. Many working class communities seem to dislike the EU and immigration, though these communities are heavily penalised by the current right-wing government as cuts to services impact their lives the most, and leaving the EU wouldn't change that. I think many of the working classes are what you would call 'low information voters' or 'low political interest' and are largely disinterested in politics in general but are swayed by emotive language regarding immigration and 'taking back control' (although that control would be put into the hands of the British elite who don't care about their welfare at all as leading 'Leave' politicians want to strip away workers' rights and cut benefits for the poor).

It just seems interesting to me that people who are likely to be unaffected in general want to stay (financially secure people who can weather an economic storm fairly well), while those who would probably lose out the most from leaving (the working classes who suffer the most during economic trouble and are disproportionately impacted by austerity) want to leave.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:51 PM

290 posts, read 210,368 times
Quote:
I think if you were born in the UK you'd probably support Remain, given you'd be looking at it from a UK perspective not a US perspective. There are left-wing people who support Leave too, but they are few and far between.

Most left-wing people would agree that the EU is flawed, but we think the best way forward is to stay in and help reform it, not leave. More than likely we would end up in the EFTA with Norway and Switzerland so would have to comply with European laws/regulations and open borders anyway so I doubt much would change other than our ability to influence the way laws are made in Europe. It's all very silly.
Are you implying that Leave supporters are uneducated?

Old 06-22-2016, 01:53 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
Owen!

Guess who's back

Back again

Owen's back

Tell a friend

Old 06-22-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
They tend to be less educated, yes.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:04 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
My housemate is labour through and through and detests David Cameron and tories, but he seems intent on voting to leave..

I've heard his arguments many times, from what I can remember he says:

1) EU parliament is unelected, we have no vote for the leaders who make the decisions and it is therefore undemocratic

2) EU is too 'nanny state'

3) We'll be better off outside of the EU

4) Corruption in the EU, immigration etc

Personally I will vote to remain tomorrow, but I am not happy with the EU as it is, it clearly needs reform, and I'm not too sure how much reforming can really be done to be honest.. I can certainly understand why people would want to leave

Old 06-22-2016, 02:05 PM

The UK also has an unelected House of Lords so the UK isn't really any better in that regard. I don't know why people talk about the UK being undemocratic but seem to vote against electoral reform in the UK that would make our own country democratic. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. There are 800 unelected members of the House of Lords vs 650 elected members of Parliament.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:27 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
The first past the post voting system is also as undemocratic as can be.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
The UK also has an unelected House of Lords so the UK isn't really any better in that regard. I don't know why people talk about the UK being undemocratic but seem to vote against electoral reform in the UK that would make our own country democratic. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. There are 800 unelected members of the House of Lords vs 650 elected members of Parliament.
The House of Lords has little power, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather