Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 03:42 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
Here is what it looks like here. Blue dome sky and temp in the mid 50's.

Pecan tree is bare, but sawtooth oak is still losing leaves.

I'll try and get more tree pics tomorrow.

A cabbage plant in garden.

Lol, besides the cabbage plant that could be anywhere PA or NJ. So much for the cold epoch guy and his claims that deciduous trees are slowly being replaced by broadleaf evergreens there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:02 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,972,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol, besides the cabbage plant that could be anywhere PA or NJ. So much for the cold epoch guy and his claims that deciduous trees are slowly being replaced by broadleaf evergreens there.
I know that live oaks and some type of palm tree can grow here, but neither of them are native or very big. Our magnolias are semi-evergreen I think.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:25 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Did nei take this picture? Undercast in the White mountains and sadly looks like just a dusting of snow

https://twitter.com/muchtyler/status/677991260385353733

Old 12-18-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
You're only allowed to show places 100 miles or more inland, to ensure that the US is conveyed in the most negative light possible.

Try 20 miles or so. And no, it is not negative to portray the true nature of the climate and what arctic air does to it. How come inland Australia far from the coast has Queen palms growing at the latitude of Norfolk, VA? Because Australia doesn't get hit with ridiculous cold at such low latitudes as places in very far south GA or MS, etc.

The cold epoch guy keeps claiming that the true climate of North America is for the jet stream to come straight across North America with no dips. He claims this is the norm. That is not factual. Because of all the teleconnections affecting North America, the Jetstream always has and always will go thru crazy dips over North America. It will never ever change. And every so many decades, places like Savannah, GA will go down into the single digits and kill every tender palm tree in sight.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:51 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,006,441 times
Quote:
Try 20 miles or so. And no, it is not negative to portray the true nature of the climate and what arctic air does to it. How come inland Australia far from the coast has Queen palms growing at the latitude of Norfolk, VA? Because Australia doesn't get hit with ridiculous cold at such low latitudes as places in very far south GA or MS, etc.

The cold epoch guy keeps claiming that the true climate of North America is for the jet stream to come straight across North America with no dips. He claims this is the norm. That is not factual. Because of all the teleconnections affecting North America, the Jetstream always has and always will go thru crazy dips over North America. It will never ever change. And every so many decades, places like Savannah, GA will go down into the single digits and kill every tender palm tree in sight.

I dont think that deciduous trees have a lot to do with that Cold Artic Air that you are saying.

I say that because Central Chile(35S) have deciduous trees,not at sea level but not too high altitude,so,why that place have deciduous trees? the winters are so mild,i think it have more to do with the past,when the winters are colder and trees migrated to North/South in Both Americas,and they are still there because the climate is nice to them.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
You're only allowed to show places 100 miles or more inland, to ensure that the US is conveyed in the most negative light possible.

I know not to you, but to me those stupidly cold temps that places at 30N latitude get in GA and MS ruin an otherwise subtropical climate. How on earth can you have a decent subtropical garden when you never know when 5F is going to kill everything?

I know this isn't a garden forum, but climate and vegetation are closely related. And the truth is, the Southeast US even only 10 to 20 miles inland looks no different in winter than central PA. That is truly bizarre imo. How can a place like southern MS, with a winter average of 60F/40F look dead and brown in winter? It is what is so frustrating about the climate fail that is North America. A place with a winter avg of say 55/35F (Jackson, MS) should not look dead and lifeless in winter.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:39 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
I know not to you, but to me those stupidly cold temps that places at 30N latitude get in GA and MS ruin an otherwise subtropical climate. How on earth can you have a decent subtropical garden when you never know when 5F is going to kill everything?
Trondheim Värnes (63N) record low in 2015: 13F
Turku (60N) record low in 2015: 6F
Lexington, KY (38N) record low in 2015: -18F

Bite the dust "subtropical paradise".

Old 12-19-2015, 06:12 AM

Lake Erie Effect clouds here drying up heading towards the coast. I'm literally watching the clouds evaporate into nothing. There were flurries reported 30 miles NW of here, the clouds made it, but dried up fast.

Facing north towards Danbury, clouds moving towards me....

Turned around behind me facing Long Island.. poof

Old 12-19-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
This thread is being wrecked with non-photo conversation posts.

Where is the mod? Sleeping?

Theres a few mods on this forum but I believe only nei has the usual control. Best thing to do is report the post. I agree, very troll like and always diverting off topic in each of the threads.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:42 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,217,707 times
Rain is coming!

Attached Thumbnails
Winter Photo Thread 2015-16 (NH)-raincomingcapture.jpg   Winter Photo Thread 2015-16 (NH)-raincoming2capture.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather