Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 02:32 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,171,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Seattle is not as stable as London I would think. You still have a huge continent to your north and east.
No, it's more extreme, but still winter is more stable than summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 02:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,380,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Nobody tries to prove that the UK has hot summers, the threads get derailed by people spouting rubbish about a climate they have never been to, and then are corrected by the locals who actually know what the climate is like.

People have a go at me when I say the NE us has crap winters, and no amount of sun is going to make it feel milder than a winter here when it's windy and cold to start with.
No, it's when you go on about how London is "far warmer" than places like NYC, which isn't an opinion, it's just flat out incorrect.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:39 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,662,605 times
Here's an example of what I mean from June 2000 in Celsius:

15th: 21/11
16th: 23/14
17th: 29/14
18th: 32/15
19th: 30/17
20th: 23/16
21st: 19/13
22nd: 17/12

etc.

You don't really get spells like that in winter, not as often anyway. I think it's because hot air from the south has less water to travel over so is less moderated, whereas in winter cold air is often significantly moderated by the time it reaches here, especially when winds are from the north.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:41 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,636,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
No, it's when you go on about how London is "far warmer" than places like NYC, which isn't an opinion, it's just flat out incorrect.
January mean in outer London is about 5c warmer than in NYCs centre, which is far warmer in most people's books.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:50 PM

12,622 posts, read 13,980,556 times
Quote:
Nobody tries to prove that the UK has hot summers, the threads get derailed by people spouting rubbish about a climate they have never been to, and then are corrected by the locals who actually know what the climate is like.

People have a go at me when I say the NE us has crap winters, and no amount of sun is going to make it feel milder than a winter here when it's windy and cold to start with.

I have to take issue with this statement though. First of all not every winter day is windy lol. So many people in the UK have gotten riled up by people from somewhere else on the globe disparaging the summers.

How would you know if no amount of sun can make it feel warmer than London in winter if you have never spent a winter here? Don't forget I was in London in winter from late December to Jan 10th 1994. I posted a pic before and you commented on it. I can assure you my hands were numb in London when I was there. I didn't wear gloves though. And when I came home the sun felt so warm to me. My opinion of course, but I stand by it.

This might not work in London cause the sun is lower in the sky, but I have myself noted that many cloudy winter days here with temps in the middle 40'sF feel colder than a windless sunny 35F day during the middle of the day. Of course mornings and nights would still feel colder than the cloudy day with 40'sF, but you need to experience this for yourself to see what I'm talking about.

I think it is time for you to get a temp assignment over here for winter. I'd love to see your reactions lol when we got hit with a brutal arctic outbreak.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:53 PM

12,622 posts, read 13,980,556 times
Quote:
January mean in outer London is about 5c warmer than in NYCs centre, which is far warmer in most people's books.

Definitely more green and I would say more like early spring than winter based on average high and low temps. I would say that a temp difference of 10F on the Jan monthly mean is what I consider far warmer. And that would be the diff between here and London.

However, I still disagree with you about certain sunny windless days in summer.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:04 PM

14,824 posts, read 12,096,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I meant water is not exactly the most swimmable. Whatever. Lol londons climate has CRAP SUMMERS to me. there I said it. Jk. I could live with a London's summer. Very springlike. But its not my summer preference.
How would you know! You've been to Heathrow twice lol, you prove our point perfectly, somebody from the other side of the world who basis their opinion on nothing more than stereotyping.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:04 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,380,910 times
Quote:
I imagine most people's books place more weight on the daytime temperatures over the nightly minimums. London's winters are clearly milder than NYC's, but "far warmer" is bordering on delusion.

As far as "crap" winters go, I would agree.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:06 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,702,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I imagine most people's books place more weight on the daytime temperatures over the nightly minimums. London's winters are clearly milder than NYC's, but "far warmer" is bordering on delusion.
New York City's cold spells are much colder than London's.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:06 PM

14,824 posts, read 12,096,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I don't see how summers in the 60s and 70s are considered dreadful, but to each his own. Seems like a bit of an overreaction.
why 60.s and 70's? Why not 60's, 70's and 80's? This is exactly the point that people seem incapable of grasping! In fact why not 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's? The temperature can be in any of those ranges?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather