Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 02:04 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
That also sustains warmth into September, winter seems to kick in during late October. Although what you and I consider to be winter temperatures will clearly differ.
Obviously yes, the 'winter' temps in the Greater Liverpool area will be nothing when compared to anything in mainland Europe on those latitudes or even farther south. I'd consider NE Wales not to have a winter myself, it's more of a perpetual fall and a three-season climate. I'd say it's our Halloween weather lasting for three-four months Dark, chilly, damp...

Old 03-20-2017, 02:09 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
That also sustains warmth into September, winter seems to kick in during late October. Although what you and I consider to be winter temperatures will clearly differ.
Yeah, 6/-2 in Norrköping in March = still winter as far as I am concerned. If there were 150+ sun hours instead of 100 or if it had warmed up a bit more from February then I could call that spring.

The dryness of those winters would be a nice change for me though, I can't imagine grass gets turned into mud for months at a time like it does where I live.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Yeah, 6/-2 in Norrköping in March = still winter as far as I am concerned. If there were 150+ sun hours instead of 100 or if it had warmed up a bit more from February then I could call that spring.

The dryness of those winters would be a nice change for me though, I can't imagine grass gets turned into mud for months at a time like it does where I live.
Grass fires are an issue this time of the year here, especially in winter with a sustained lack of snow cover. These hinterland climates on the east of Sweden retain some subarctic features like the dry winters, in spite of the low-pressure dominance. It's quite weird actually. In a normal winter I'd guess there'd be no more than 75 cm of snowfall here, ranging from 30 cm to 130 cm.

So essentially this is a warmed-up subarctic climate in disguise It's similar to Ipswich and Colchester in terms of precipitation.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Finland has a very high suicide rate by the standards of a developed western nation.

It's pretty obvious that the people answering the surveys were doped up with happy pills, whereas the sad people couldn't take part because they killed themselves after their meds ran out
That's mainly because of historical reasons. Still, we are talking about 700-800 suicides annually, most who are tragedies.

Antidepressants aren't "happy pills". I don't either feel that depression is an issue that I want to laugh about. You don't say 'haha, you cancer kid, what a loser' either?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
That's mainly because of historical reasons. Still, we are talking about 700-800 suicides annually, most who are tragedies.

Antidepressants aren't "happy pills". I don't either feel that depression is an issue that I want to laugh about. You don't say 'haha, you cancer kid, what a loser' either?
Sorry man, I do have quite a dark sense of humour. I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable or offended, so I won't go there again

Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
How do you guys classify a "true" winter? For me I would say

- 20 inches of snow a year
- Average lows below freezing
- Average highs less than 8C

If you have two out of three of these it's a "true" winter. Of course I believe that every place has a winter, but if we're talking about the stereotypical winter, this is it

Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Obviously yes, the 'winter' temps in the Greater Liverpool area will be nothing when compared to anything in mainland Europe on those latitudes or even farther south. I'd consider NE Wales not to have a winter myself, it's more of a perpetual fall and a three-season climate. I'd say it's our Halloween weather lasting for three-four months Dark, chilly, damp...
I remember when we broke the 20C barrier on Halloween and it was warm enough to sunbathe, although that was pretty freakish

Old 03-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

If you have two out of three of these it's a "true" winter. Of course I believe that every place has a winter, but if we're talking about the stereotypical winter, this is it
For me it would be highs below 5C and lows that are below freezing. Snow's never been guaranteed here, some years it will come down relatively heavy, other years we won't see any, although I feel that a true winter needs snow.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

So Kyzyl doesn't have a winter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyzyl#Climate

For me the SMHI's definition will do: five days in a row with mean temps below 0C for it to become winter and it not ending until five consecutive days are above 0C, and in terms of long-term averages one month below 0C in terms of monthly means. It's a pretty simple definition, but for me that's a very good one. Aside from that it's just an extended fall season. I recall December 2015 feeling like an extension of a mild November even though there were some brief cold snaps even then!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I remember when we broke the 20C barrier on Halloween and it was warm enough to sunbathe, although that was pretty freakish
Dude, we had thunderstorms at 3am on November 2, 2014 in Örebro and the temperature was 13C outside I remember watching the lightning and being like

Now inland at 59N that was freakazoid stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather