Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I might even count earthquakes. Sure, they're not weather, but they're natural phenomena and people have to put up with them.

Should have titled this: Which state has the worst overall 'natural phenomena'.
Having grown up in the Central Valley of CA., while earthquakes aren't weather, there is an oddness so much so that a bunch of us natives would say it's earthquake weather. Usually when we'd have 'quake weather (no I can't describe it), we'd have a 'quake or shaker of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 07:35 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Having grown up in the Central Valley of CA., while earthquakes aren't weather, there is an oddness so much so that a bunch of us natives would say it's earthquake weather. Usually when we'd have 'quake weather (no I can't describe it), we'd have a 'quake or shaker of sorts.
But there is no actual earthquake "weather." The focus of earthquakes occur, on average, over 10 miles below the surface. Weather has no effect there.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But there is no actual earthquake "weather." The focus of earthquakes occur, on average, over 10 miles below the surface. Weather has no effect there.
Not saying there is such a thing as earthquake weather, however it always seemed like there was . Which I gather would also mean a tsunami is not weather related?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:58 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I guess this thread proves one thing... we all have a different idea of good vs. bad weather, LOL. For me, as a very light-skinned redhead who hates the heat and sun, Arizona would probably win for the worst. Sun and heat almost all year long?? No thanks!!! I'd also hate living in the humid states, Florida being my least favorite, since I remember being there in November & sweating all day. Blech!! I'll keep my hometown weather (San Francisco) of cool and cloudy 10-11 months a year, thanks.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-08-2008 at 08:08 PM..

Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Not saying there is such a thing as earthquake weather, however it always seemed like there was . Which I gather would also mean a tsunami is not weather related?
Us San Franciscans always say "It's earthquake weather" even though there's not really any such thing... usually it's when the weather is eerily warm and still, which is unusual for this area. I dunno, it seems to be true!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Nope. No such thing as Tsunami weather either!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
The purple state is North Carolina. Scary place to live. I have lived here most of my life and am just used to weather being interesting.

If you don't like the weather in North Carolina. Stick around and it will change, although you may have a storm during the process.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
San Francisco's got a pretty awful climate, freezing cold year round. Even Seattle has better summer and their climate is a horror story! Let's not speak of Vancouver, MN and Maine! Worst climates in USA for sure! Vancouver is the worst in Canada for its ugly, ugly cloudiness. Think Melbourne's winters except 10 degrees celcius colder with twice as much rain and cloud. Oh lord!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
San Francisco's got a pretty awful climate, freezing cold year round. Even Seattle has better summer and their climate is a horror story! Let's not speak of Vancouver, MN and Maine! Worst climates in USA for sure! Vancouver is the worst in Canada for its ugly, ugly cloudiness. Think Melbourne's winters except 10 degrees celcius colder with twice as much rain and cloud. Oh lord!
There isn't worse climate than Montreal. That's the most horrible climate in the world for sure

Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,300 times
I love Vancouver winters. The concept of "wind chill" is foreign to the locals. What ever the thermometer says, that is what it feels like and rarely do temps did below the 20's, even in the evening time. In the east those arctic winds will cause already frigid air temps to actually feel up to 40 degrees colder. I love the temperate climates of the pacific northwest and I never experienced the sort of percipitation in Vancouver from the fall thru the spring that one experiences further to the south in Washington and Oregon. There are winter days in New England where even the most avid of skiers will be yearning for summer to arrive. At the same time, I like the seasons and have no incentive to ever live in an unimaginative, congested cess pool of hell like Phoenix or Orlando simply for the sake of living in 60+ degree weather year round. Vancouver is the perfect ideal for moderate climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather