Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 05:53 AM

49 posts, read 22,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Corn (maize) is also grown in England commercially. That doesn't mean anyone claims England is subtropical, nationalist rants aside.
Please point to me where anyone called corn a subtropical crop. It is not. Do you know anything about vegetation?

And Sweet Corn is hardly grown in England. Partially because, like soybeans, these crops require hot weather. They grow all over the US and in places around the world like southeast Asia.

https://www.tannertrading.co.uk/blog...d-to-remember/

Quote:
Relatively speaking corn has not been grown in the UK for very long, a little over 200 years in fact; and even then for a good portion of that time corn was not farmed seriously – certainly not compared to wheat or other arable crops. The reason for this is that maize is more easily grown in warmer climates, like that of the USA, Mexico and China; and our summers were rarely warm or consistent enough to grow maize as anything other than a forage crop.
Cotton is a subtropical crop. It was a plantation cash crop, and it was grown throughout the US south, whereas it simply can't be grown in England. Cotton species are in fact native to the US and the Caribbean.

Last edited by groundout; 12-10-2021 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 07:08 AM

401 posts, read 256,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundout View Post
And it's surprisingly easy to find snowy and icy pictures of southern China, the Mediterranean, North Africa, northern India, Southern Japan, and northern Vietnam - your point? You can cherry pick all day, if absurdly misportraying subtropical locations as cold makes you feel better about your ice box of a country
Their part of Canada is looking very chilly with 30s and low 40s with some snow for 7 day forest while here in Augusta it is 70s for highs and 50s for lows, burr, that's just our cold continental late autunm/early winter.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:56 AM

1,503 posts, read 914,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundout View Post
Please point to me where anyone called corn a subtropical crop. It is not. Do you know anything about vegetation?

And Sweet Corn is hardly grown in England. Partially because, like soybeans, these crops require hot weather. They grow all over the US and in places around the world like southeast Asia.

https://www.tannertrading.co.uk/blog...d-to-remember/

Cotton is a subtropical crop. It was a plantation cash crop, and it was grown throughout the US south, whereas it simply can't be grown in England. Cotton species are in fact native to the US and the Caribbean.

It's clearly of origin in tropical/subtropical Mexico. It's news to me that sweet corn is hardly grown in England as I grow it every year, so does my neighbour and many people who grow vegetables as a hobby. Government statistics show 228,000 hectares of maize (corn) planted in the UK in 2020, the fourth largest area of any crop, after wheat, barley and oilseed rape so hardly a minor crop. See https://assets.publishing.service.go...uk-22dec20.pdf

Annual plants like corn and cotton aren't good proxies of subtropicality in my opinion as they only tell you about summer conditions. They spend the winter indoors as seeds. For example, though cotton is grown in the subtropics, a fifth of the world's production is in hypercontinental Xinjiang province, China. It's grown around Turpan as the summer is sufficiently long, even though the winter is freezing.

And no, I'm not arguing England or Turpan are subtropical

Old 12-10-2021, 10:09 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Yep, growing corn or soy beans in Oceanic climates isn't some great feat - I sowed my last batch of corn direct into the soil about 2 weeks ago, and it germinated in about 3-4 days.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:27 AM

401 posts, read 256,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yep, growing corn or soy beans in Oceanic climates isn't some great feat - I sowed my last batch of corn direct into the soil about 2 weeks ago, and it germinated in about 3-4 days.
The difference between oceanic and humid subtropical is summer heat and oceanic climates usually occur at higher latitudes.

They both share milder winters that allows tropical-like vegetation to be grown outdoors.

But there is what I consider to be unique oceanic vegetation that evolved in New Zealand that can't take too much cold or heat like cordyline australis or nikau palms.

Humid subtropical vegetation in the southeast like sabals and spanish moss require high summer heat and humidity to truly thrive.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:35 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
The difference between oceanic and humid subtropical is summer heat and oceanic climates usually occur at higher latitudes.

They both share milder winters that allows tropical-like vegetation to be grown outdoors.

But there is what I consider to be unique oceanic vegetation that evolved in New Zealand that can't take too much cold or heat like cordyline australis or nikau palms.

Humid subtropical vegetation in the south like sabals and spanish moss require high summer heat and humidity to truly thrive.
Nikaus can actually take a fair bit of heat, and I've seen them growing in much warmer climates than NZ They are sub canopy though, and do best in dark environments.. I've also seen Cordlyine growing in hotter climates than here, as well as seeing them in areas which would see cold down to about -20C.

I haven't found Spanish moss to be a hard plant to grow, but it it doesn't seem to establish due to birds taking it for nesting purposes. The only issue I have found with Sabals, is that they are thirsty, and likely to be under watered.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:59 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,288 times
Quote:
Nikaus can actually take a fair bit of heat, and I've seen them growing in much warmer climates than NZ They are sub canopy though, and do best in dark environments.. I've also seen Cordlyine growing in hotter climates than here, as well as seeing them in areas which would see cold down to about -20C.
Oh please Nikau melts in Singapore after a two days and maybe lasts a few weeks in Florida's spring. Cordyline australis doesn't even grow where I am in southeast Texas, the nurseries kept bringing them in from Cali a decade ago and they all perished within a year or two. Can't take months on end of 25C+ nights. The tropical ti plant (Cordyline fructicosa) does great though and comes roaring back even if occasionally frozen back.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
It's clearly of origin in tropical/subtropical Mexico. It's news to me that sweet corn is hardly grown in England as I grow it every year, so does my neighbour and many people who grow vegetables as a hobby. Government statistics show 228,000 hectares of maize (corn) planted in the UK in 2020, the fourth largest area of any crop, after wheat, barley and oilseed rape so hardly a minor crop. See https://assets.publishing.service.go...uk-22dec20.pdf

Annual plants like corn and cotton aren't good proxies of subtropicality in my opinion as they only tell you about summer conditions. They spend the winter indoors as seeds. For example, though cotton is grown in the subtropics, a fifth of the world's production is in hypercontinental Xinjiang province, China. It's grown around Turpan as the summer is sufficiently long, even though the winter is freezing.

And no, I'm not arguing England or Turpan are subtropical
It grows in microclimatic conditions in Turpan and just because a crop has origins in a tropical or subtropical region doesn’t mean it is a “subtropical” crop. You read the passage I posted about the historical inability for crop to be a significant element of the agricultural industry in the UK. That acreage (which is put at about 132K Hectares) isn’t particularly impressive, even for the UK’s size.

The summer conditions as well as the winter ones are crucial to a subtropical climate, you can’t cherry pick “good proxies” of subtropical that bias a non-subtropical location. That’s hilarious that you think that is acceptable.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Oh please Nikau melts in Singapore after a two days and maybe lasts a few weeks in Florida's spring. Cordyline australis doesn't even grow where I am in southeast Texas, the nurseries kept bringing them in from Cali a decade ago and they all perished within a year or two. Can't take months on end of 25C+ nights. The tropical ti plant (Cordyline fructicosa) does great though and comes roaring back even if occasionally frozen back.
These New Zealand/UK/Canadian posters are trolls and liars who will claim everything can be grown in one of their oceanic climates. They have an abiding need to make their climates out to be warmer than they are because of these region’s less than stellar popular reputations for climate. No surprise that America has become the target for the one-upmanship, as it always does. But this isn’t subjective “quality of life” indices, so they look ridiculous with their need to subvert geographical fact and logic and common knowledge because of their climate envy and their nationalistic resentment

Sabal doesn’t grow effectively in New Zealand because of the lack of winter warmth and the lukewarm summers. The UK is even worse for it.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You won’t see sweet corn and soybeans growing commercially in Oceanic climates because, as my British source pointed out, it is too cool for too long to grow it to the extent and in the amounts that they do in countries like the US and Mexico, around the region Maize is native to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather