Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 10:01 AM

400 posts, read 256,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Different pines are native to all sorts of climates from the Caribbean to northern Norway and Siberia so I wouldn't think of them being a marker of subtropical climates.
I would consider long leaf pines, slash pines, canary island pines, stone pines, ect as subtropical plants.

They are very different in look and cold tolerance compared to like a ponderosa pine, which is a zone 3a plant while the subtropical pines are zone 7-9 plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 04:58 PM

1,503 posts, read 914,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
If you don't think that underbrush looks subtropical, then I'd question how much time in subtropical climates you've spent.
It doesn't look anything like the subtropical climates of South Africa and the Canary Islands I've experienced and much more like definitely not subtropical NW Europe in winter.

Near East London, South Africa

Near Durban, South Africa (midwinter)

Old 12-28-2021, 08:55 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,267,629 times
Quote:
It doesn't look anything like the subtropical climates of South Africa and the Canary Islands I've experienced and much more like definitely not subtropical NW Europe in winter.

Near East London, South Africa

Near Durban, South Africa (midwinter)
One thing that I notice about the Southern Hemisphere is how quickly the "wet" subtropical/tropical look and influence dies off as you go poleward of ~30° or so — you then get some sort of quasi-med or "warm oceanic" regime going through.

The differences in ecology and climate between Durban and East London illustrate this well. See also Sydney versus Coff's Harbour in Australia, or even Buenos Aires and Porto Alegre vs Floripa. I don't know what to call it, but I can definitely sense the "midlatitude" features that grow stronger in poleward direction — even in the ocean moderated Southern Hemisphere.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
One thing that I notice about the Southern Hemisphere is how quickly the "wet" subtropical/tropical look and influence dies off as you go poleward of ~30° or so — you then get some sort of quasi-med or "warm oceanic" regime going through.

The differences in ecology and climate between Durban and East London illustrate this well. See also Sydney versus Coff's Harbour in Australia, or even Buenos Aires and Porto Alegre vs Floripa. I don't know what to call it, but I can definitely sense the "midlatitude" features that grow stronger in poleward direction — even in the ocean moderated Southern Hemisphere.
In South Africa it's probably because most of them are relatively dry climates for their type and also as you go south and west there is a transition from a summer rainfall pattern to an all year rainfall pattern and eventually a mediterannean pattern.

But in the small areas that do get enough rainfall there are moist forests such the Tstisikamma forest which look quite different.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:47 PM

There are even patches of Afromontane forest on south and south east facing mountain slopes that catch more rain and are shaded from the sun within the city limits of Cape Town, even though the wider region has a typically mediterranean climate that is too dry for forests and has scrub vegetation instead.

It's similar to the high altitude forests of tropical Africa, but occurs at low altitudes that far south.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
It's similar to the high altitude forests of tropical Africa, but occurs at low altitudes that far south.
Good finds for sure. It definitely seems like many subtropical areas have a drying trend — enough such as to restrict lusher forests to mountain slopes, as in Australia, South Africa, India, etc.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Think you can grow ultratropicals in this area of Brazil? It's possibly the warmest that you can get for a humid subtropical (cfa) climate — although an area to the south is classified as tropical (af)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubatuba#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santos..._Paulo#Climate

Old 12-31-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
Think you can grow ultratropicals in this area of Brazil? It's possibly the warmest that you can get for a humid subtropical (cfa) climate — although an area to the south is classified as tropical (af)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubatuba#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santos..._Paulo#Climate
I suspect yes, but far from ideally. Apparently breadfruit grows in Durban which has similar winters. I saw a breadfruit tree growing at the palmetum in Santa Cruz de Tenerife which has lower winter highs (but higher lows) than Ubatuba. The breadfruit tree was a fair size, but quite beaten-up looking. I'm guessing it wasn't just the cooler than ideal winter temperatures but also the semi-arid climate and being in a windy location sticking out into the harbour. On street view the tropical plants like coconuts look healthier in Ubatuba than in Durban. I'm guessing partly due to it being wetter and also probably less windy. The wind on the South African coast makes a lot of things look beaten-up, not just heat demanding plants.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:00 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,954 times
Quote:
I suspect yes, but far from ideally. Apparently breadfruit grows in Durban which has similar winters. I saw a breadfruit tree growing at the palmetum in Santa Cruz de Tenerife which has lower winter highs (but higher lows) than Ubatuba. The breadfruit tree was a fair size, but quite beaten-up looking. I'm guessing it wasn't just the cooler than ideal winter temperatures but also the semi-arid climate and being in a windy location sticking out into the harbour. On street view the tropical plants like coconuts look healthier in Ubatuba than in Durban. I'm guessing partly due to it being wetter and also probably less windy. The wind on the South African coast makes a lot of things look beaten-up, not just heat demanding plants.
Pics of breadfruit in Durban?

Even breadfruit is a low-mid tier "ultra-tropical", they are somewhat common in southeast Florida and regularly produce fruit. Rare cold weather knocks them back but they recover. Cacao/chocolate roughly fits into the same category too.

More impressive would be durian and mangosteen..

Old 12-31-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Pics of breadfruit in Durban?

Even breadfruit is a low-mid tier "ultra-tropical", they are somewhat common in southeast Florida and regularly produce fruit. Rare cold weather knocks them back but they recover. Cacao/chocolate roughly fits into the same category too.

More impressive would be durian and mangosteen..
No, I have only heard about it. It is possible that people have confused jackfruit with breadfruit as they are related and fairly similar looking but jackfruit is less demanding.

There is a photo of a seeded breadfruit at Santa Cruz palmetum in this thread: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index...24-breadfruit/ It's looking a lot healthier in the photo than when I saw it earlier this month.

Would Durban be less suitable than Santa Cruz de Tenerife? Winter average lows are considerably lower but highs a little higher and the much greater rainfall, humidity and summer rather than winter rainfall bias would be more favourable to most tropical plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather