Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times

Advertisements

I agree with Michelle. A lot of Southerners say they like winter, but I would like winter too if I lived in the South (their version of winter). Even if they say they want cold, I doubt they want the true cold of the North (although some might, but I have a feeling the majority just like 50 degree weather).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times
There's winter and there's really winter! Having a few inches of snow fall, knowing it will melt in the next day or two is definitely not winter!

People that have always had to deal with 30's and 40's for a few weeks have no clue what a real winter is, they think they know but unless you've lived it, personally I don't think they do.

Sure I've lived in the midwest all my life, and I've experienced some crazier than normal winters but I've never lived in Buffalo, NY, Marquette, MI nor would I want to. I didn't even move to where my sister is 180 mis. from me in Michigan because that 3 hrs. makes her spring almost 4 wks. later than me!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
There's winter and there's really winter! Having a few inches of snow fall, knowing it will melt in the next day or two is definitely not winter!

People that have always had to deal with 30's and 40's for a few weeks have no clue what a real winter is, they think they know but unless you've lived it, personally I don't think they do.

Sure I've lived in the midwest all my life, and I've experienced some crazier than normal winters but I've never lived in Buffalo, NY, Marquette, MI nor would I want to. I didn't even move to where my sister is 180 mis. from me in Michigan because that 3 hrs. makes her spring almost 4 wks. later than me!
This is true. Seemingly small distances can make a big impact on climate. I have relatives 150 miles north in Maine and they are 5-7 degrees colder than me year round. This might not seem like much, but on the reverse, Washington DC is about 5-7 degrees warmer than Massachusetts year round and their winters are significantly milder than here.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:01 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I agree with Michelle. A lot of Southerners say they like winter, but I would like winter too if I lived in the South (their version of winter). Even if they say they want cold, I doubt they want the true cold of the North (although some might, but I have a feeling the majority just like 50 degree weather).
I used to think I'd enjoy typical Southern winters too,
but when I was in NC this past December, I was still cold most of the time,
even though most days were overcast and in the mid-high 50's F. (12-14 C)
Yes, I could usually "handle it" easily but it was rarely, if ever,
"pleasant," or temperatures I could see myself looking forward too, if I lived there.
If there regular winter temperatures on days without sun is kind of yucky,
I imagine that I would never get to the point where I would be excited to see snow.

My most favorite time of year in the Carolinas is around late August.
It always feels nice there at that time of year,
whether it's the odd "record-cool" day in the high 70's F,
their normal weather in the mid-80's to low 90's F
or a daily record heat day in the high 90's or low 100's F.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-15-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Unfortunately this was the "worst" winter in 20 years ........as stated by some locals.
I have spent some wonderful winters this way with tons of sunshine and a good majority of 60's and 70's ...and above.
One thing for sure is that a person can golf the entire winter in SC........Something that can not be done at home.
The only thing different this winter was that there was just a pinch of snow, and no snow storms...
Believe me I have lived in NJ and PA..........I do know what a harsh winter is, and a ton of snow is......
But......winters here are a lot easier on a person. No shoveling, a good enough temp to walk and enjoy the outdoors.
I just do not like winter after the month of December..........Its too cold on the bones....The house never feels warm..... Heading south is always good...

Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Unfortunately this was the "worst" winter in 20 years ........as stated by some locals.
I have spent some wonderful winters this way with tons of sunshine and a good majority of 60's and 70's ...and above.
One thing for sure is that a person can golf the entire winter in SC........Something that can not be done at home.
The only thing different this winter was that there was just a pinch of snow, and no snow storms...
Believe me I have lived in NJ and PA..........I do know what a harsh winter is, and a ton of snow is......
But......winters here are a lot easier on a person. No shoveling, a good enough temp to walk and enjoy the outdoors.
I just do not like winter after the month of December..........Its too cold on the bones....The house never feels warm..... Heading south is always good...
Interesting...

I don't like winter after Sept 15th...
(by the time we get our first day below 60 F, I want it to be Spring again )

Too cold on the bones, meaning your body aches from the cold?
That happens by mid-November at the latest
and lasts until at least mid-March.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:32 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
this numbnuts from the aussie weather forums needs a reality check:

"Shocker today in Melbourne. Hot, dry, nasty. Particularly nasty given it is the 20th March. Worse to come yet. I'm afraid after a good first half of the month we have slipped right back to our standard drought pattern with ridiculous temperatures forecast for the next week, more mid Summer than Autumn, and other than a few storms possible over the weekend, no rain!"

and here are those forecast temps...

sat..... 33c
sun..... 26c
mon ... 22c
tue..... 23c
wed.... 25c
thu..... 27c

HARDLY MID SUMMER

Old 03-19-2009, 07:58 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,828 times
The way I see it, at this time of year, is that any snowfall might be the last I ever see.

If you became terminally ill in the middle of the summer with only a month to live, you'd be begging to see the next winter.

That is the way I look at it and it really gets me through the end of the winter when sometimes I feel like I've had enough. I just remember this thought, and I am happy to see the snow fall.

Plus, at this point, you've got to know that spring is on the way and it can't keep snowing forever.

You've got to look on the bright side!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
this numbnuts from the aussie weather forums needs a reality check:

"Shocker today in Melbourne. Hot, dry, nasty. Particularly nasty given it is the 20th March. Worse to come yet. I'm afraid after a good first half of the month we have slipped right back to our standard drought pattern with ridiculous temperatures forecast for the next week, more mid Summer than Autumn, and other than a few storms possible over the weekend, no rain!"

and here are those forecast temps...

sat..... 33c
sun..... 26c
mon ... 22c
tue..... 23c
wed.... 25c
thu..... 27c

HARDLY MID SUMMER

I believe anyone saying that is likely "fire-phobic"
rather than resentfull of the actual temperarture and humidity sensation on most of those days.

Here nearly-everyone delights in 27 C with low humidity.
Wildfires or bushfires are nearly-impossible here, so we don't worry about them.

33 C is not a ridiculous temp with low humidity, especially outside of winter.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 PM

177 posts, read 425,414 times
After the heat of the next few days/week or so, I'll be waiting for winter even more! Am really starting to despise the current burst of heat/humidity here atm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather