Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post

Why confusion?
I grew up here,
most of my ancestors lived in cold winter climates,
and still I cannot handle cold well... let alone enjoy it.

(playful confusion; in a way, I'm envious mate. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude
Spring and fall are very pretty the changing of the leaves and what not. I love the cool/cold days of Fall.

I agree Spring is pretty,
and occaisionally Fall seems (briefly) stunning to me too
but for me,
it seems SICK that cold weather even exists in those seasons.

When I see imagery of those seasons,
I get impressions of temperate weather and overall pleasant feelings;
which for me is "all-but-impossible" to experience
when the afternoons aren't at least slightly warm.

*Reality is that weather just cold enough to turn leaves colours also turns my skin colours.
And all-but-the-mildest-Spring-weather makes warm gloves mandatory at dawn and dusk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:45 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

I agree Spring is pretty,
and occaisionally Fall seems (briefly) stunning to me too
but for me,
it seems SICK that cold weather even exists in those seasons.
To me, spring is basically an extension of winter. There are still many cold and cloudy days right up to December (and sometimes even Janaury). Autumn is nice.....but it seems to change to fully-fledged winter the instant May rolls around.

I think in all mid-latidude maritime and temperate climates, spring and autumn are laced with cold weather (unless you're in Texas or Arizona ofcourse )

Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Very true! While we can have awesome Spring and Fall weather, with all the water where I am, it can be brutal! Manitowoc and Two Rivers are next to each other but TR extends into Lake Michigan 5 mis. and many times (especially Spring) sunny inland, damp, dense fog for us!

I'm always saying, sunny, cold winter days I can take but boy those, damp, fog horn days are just plain miserable (even for my cheerful self)!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:03 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I have to admit, threads like this do indeed make me wonder if there actually are two different species of humans. To me, Summer is a horrible cancer that hangs around for most of the year. Not just Summer, but Spring and Fall are too hot for me, for the most part. If it's over 65 degrees, I'm almost guaranteed to be uncomfortable, unless I'm sitting in the shade with a breeze, completely motionless. As soon as I walk a few feet I'm sweating. And that's just early Spring! Summer is 6+ months of constant sweat, insect bites, and spiders everywhere. You wake up in the morning and you're already sticky from sweat, and it's only 70 degrees!

I also don't care for sunny days, for the most part. I like sun on a crisp late November morning (which is Autumn for us), but that's about it. From April through most of October, sunshine just means terrible heat. Even in the winter the sun is hot here. It can be 30 degrees outside, but if I'm standing in the sun for a few minutes I'll be sweating. So you may not see how anyone can like cold weather, but I don't see how anyone can enjoy being covered in sweat and bugs all the time.

Here's a picture from Nashville some time in April a few years ago.

It looks nice, doesn't it? Well if you look closely you can see a haze in the air; that's what makes me want to slit my throat every day in the Summer. In that picture, the temperature was probably around 85, but the heat index was likely closer to 100. And that's just Spring.

Ahh...that's better. I'm sure I was able to go outside that day without getting a headache and having my skin burned within 10 minutes.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:53 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Lamp, you could be right about two different species of humans. I absolutely love that first pic of yours. It's beautiful!!! The second one~not so much. It makes me think of terribly cold temps and shoveling snow.

Maybe the difference is that my summers are cooler then yours. AND what you would call a huge snowfall would be nothing but a dusting here.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Interesting perspective! I like the photos! I would have a hard time living somewhere warm, I'm in the midwest for a good reason, definite seasons. I moved to NE Wisconsin from NE Illinois (140 mis.) but being closer to the lake is a major difference.

People thought I was crazy going where its cooler, a little longer winter but I've never been interested in perpetual sunshine, boring! As I get older damp days bug me a little, more so than the winter days. Jammie is right, the winter picture is just a tease for us, not the real deal!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I have to admit, threads like this do indeed make me wonder if there actually are two different species of humans. To me, Summer is a horrible cancer that hangs around for most of the year. Not just Summer, but Spring and Fall are too hot for me, for the most part. If it's over 65 degrees, I'm almost guaranteed to be uncomfortable, unless I'm sitting in the shade with a breeze, completely motionless. As soon as I walk a few feet I'm sweating. And that's just early Spring! Summer is 6+ months of constant sweat, insect bites, and spiders everywhere. You wake up in the morning and you're already sticky from sweat, and it's only 70 degrees!

I also don't care for sunny days, for the most part. I like sun on a crisp late November morning (which is Autumn for us), but that's about it. From April through most of October, sunshine just means terrible heat. Even in the winter the sun is hot here. It can be 30 degrees outside, but if I'm standing in the sun for a few minutes I'll be sweating. So you may not see how anyone can like cold weather, but I don't see how anyone can enjoy being covered in sweat and bugs all the time.

It looks nice, doesn't it? Well if you look closely you can see a haze in the air; that's what makes me want to slit my throat every day in the Summer. In that picture, the temperature was probably around 85, but the heat index was likely closer to 100. And that's just Spring.

Ahh...that's better. I'm sure I was able to go outside that day without getting a headache and having my skin burned within 10 minutes.
You are my twin! I feel the same way, I don't like to be in the sun, I get too hot even if the weather is cool and if it's over 65, yes I am hot. The winter picture is most definitely my favorite!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Maybe the difference is that my summers are cooler then yours. AND what you would call a huge snowfall would be nothing but a dusting here.
I think that may have a lot to do with it. Winter around here can get fairly cold (for the South), but we get almost no snow and ice. That picture I posted is about the most I ever see, maybe once a year. But we have plenty of mornings when the temperature is in the teens, and of course I always ride my bike to work regardless. I like it. But I also wouldn't want to live somewhere that got 25+ inches of snow in January. Not because of cold temps, but just due to the inconvenience of lots of snow.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
I actually like snow. I think it sets winter apart from fall and spring, and gives it character. Winter without snow is very boring - still cold but very grey and unappealing. Snow at least makes bare trees look better and covers the dead grass on the ground.

Unfortunately, in NYC snow (especially white powder) is a rare commodity. We rarely have a white X-mas. Even in January, much of the precipitation is other than snow (freezing rain, sleet, etc). Snow often does not settle on the ground, and when it does, due to heavy vehicle traffic it quickly gets mixed with dirt and mud, becoming disgusting. We don't get to enjoy scenic sights like the one above too often. There is more powder in the suburbs, but there too snow cover is not consistent.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post

I love the second picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather