Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post

YIKES!

Last edited by Summerz; 07-12-2009 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Quote:
what word Cold
Whoa, I wonder where that happened.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Whoa, I wonder where that happened.
switzerlan to cold 4 me thats for sure!!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Winter can’t be sufficiently despised!
I despise winter with a cold-blooded passion.
Winter is ugly, brutal, and utterly useless. Winter is an annual disease that afflicts too many places. Winter comes as an unwelcome guest, stays too long, and makes everything miserable. Winter makes me mutter profane vulgarities everytime I go outside to see the ugly gray sky and feel the icy wind.
When winter arrives the only important thing is; when is it going to depart?
Winter can’t do anything for life because it can only kill and destroy.
Winter causes high heating costs.
Winter is one of nature’s greatest mistakes.
If winter could be personified, it should be beaten over the head with a 2 X 4, placed on the wall, gunned down, and bulldozed into a permanent grave from which it shall never emerge.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I happen to like it when it snows. It is very peaceful to me. I like playing in it too. It is more preferable to me than summer.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way. I happen to like it when it snows. It is very peaceful to me. I like playing in it too. It is more preferable to me than summer.
I see you are from Georgia.

When you get a snow storm on Halloween and that same snowbanks ( and all additional snow) stays til April, you might change your mind.

It happened in Minnesota.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

When you get a snow storm on Halloween and that same snowbanks ( and all additional snow) stays til April, you might change your mind.

Actually, a big snowbank and Halloween snow just means more snow for me to play in.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

Thats wht you need to come a bit south.... Youll still get snow, but not in the amount that places like MN, ME, etc, get.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Very true! I'm 180 miles from my sister in the UP and in the end of April I'm cleaning up yard, she's still shoveling snow (not that I couldn't be but more likely for her)!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:16 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Winter can’t be sufficiently despised!
I despise winter with a cold-blooded passion.
Winter is ugly, brutal, and utterly useless. Winter is an annual disease that afflicts too many places. Winter comes as an unwelcome guest, stays too long, and makes everything miserable. Winter makes me mutter profane vulgarities everytime I go outside to see the ugly gray sky and feel the icy wind.
When winter arrives the only important thing is; when is it going to depart?
Winter can’t do anything for life because it can only kill and destroy.
Winter causes high heating costs.
Winter is one of nature’s greatest mistakes.
If winter could be personified, it should be beaten over the head with a 2 X 4, placed on the wall, gunned down, and bulldozed into a permanent grave from which it shall never emerge.
I love winter! Winter is the most beautiful time of the year!

What is so great about Summer? More people die of Hyperthermia than Hypothermia. Summer causes high cooling costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Sometimes it almost amazes me that people who would prefer tempetures to remain under 70 F (21 C) for as long as possible,
year-round even for some of them, that they aren't an entirely different species than myself.

*I have zero hatred towards cold-weather lovers... just confusion, a lot of confusion.
Why confusion?
Quote:
Deport them to Greenland?
They have climates that would fit that bill.
Or better yet...Iceland!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I love winter; I love snow; and I love the cold.

Until the last week of February, when I get sick of scraping frost off my car and paying to heat my house. But, that is why I love the midwest. I get tired of EVERY season by the time it nears completion. If it was 80 year round, I would get bored; just like snow year round would drive me crazy.
I would love to see more snow..not necessarily year round though
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
People who live through Winter can really appreciate Spring, Summer and Fall.
I have always wondered why so many people live in places like New York City.
I think a little Winter is good for everybody, but maybe not so much of Winter is good for anyone.
Well said
Quote:
Spring is indeed pretty, but I wish Spring and Fall weren't so cold most days.
Spring and fall are very pretty the changing of the leaves and what not. I love the cool/cold days of Fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi View Post
The world would be a very boring place if it wasn't for winter. All the talk about winter is making me look even more forward to it.
ME to!! Winter is about 10-14 weeks off!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree!! Spring and especially summer in Houston are awful!!! I wish I lived in a place that had a real winter. Alaska sound good
ILNC you and I + all the other cold weather lovers should set up a cold weather lovers sanctuary somewhere in Alaska/Northern Canada or just North of the Arctic Circle for that matter. We would make a killer fortune. Have you seen the going rate for vacations in the interior of Alaska??
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
These type of threads are annoying. I mean you never see ILNC, kaykay, or myself starting threads like "SUMMER RANT!!!! I DON'T HOW PEOPLE ACTUALLY Enjoy this horrid season!!!" and then go on a 3-paragraph rant about how summer is so hot, humid, and depressing, and then see all the ppl who dislike summer going into the thread and calling ppl who like hot weather "lame" or "loser" or whatever. I mean, I am not saying that hating winter is bad.....go ahead, whatever floats your boat. If everyone loved winter it would be a very boring world likewise if everyone loved summer, but I just don't see how it's necessary to start threads like this....lol. We have a few of them already. Like the "Winter is such a downer" thread for example. Just my opinion.....you can love it or hate it.
You don't see me starting I hate summer threads. Threads like this just amuze me and make me looking forward to Winter more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
50F tommorrow. It is officially a heatwave.
Here in Indiana during Winter even -5F is considered a heatwave at certain points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
If cold air was converted to money, I'd be richer than Bill Gates.
If cold weather was converted to money I would have more money than the United States is in debt in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I won't start a thread like that because starting like that is dumb.....oh, and trust me. There are just as many people on this forum who hate summer than there are that hate winter.....
One of those would be me
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree! And that's what's where I'm headed
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebelle View Post
Most people who LOVE cold weather have not experienced a true, hellish winter. A winter where people have to suffer to survive winter. A winter where you have to move the bedrooms into the livingroom and shut down the upstairs because it is too expensive too heat. That means carrying down all the beds, dressers, and clothes because you will not have access to the second story for at least five months.
Don't forget the month of weekends prior to October spent cutting and stacking wood to prepare for the season. Every weekend, all weekend. Then there are the weekends spent putting plastic over all the windows, putting insulation in the sliding doors, and otherwise sealing up the house. Then there are the mornings standing in the freezing, painful cold scraping the car windows, shoveling the walkways, shoveling the driveways. And when I say mornings I mean every morning before work in the dark frigid cold for 5 or six months.
Then we have to deal with the fact that there is daylight from 7:30-4:30pm. Then darkness comes, and with the darkness come the bitter cold, the cold that makes it impossible to go anywhere and risk breaking down far from home.
Oh and lets not forget the dangers of winter driving, of the trips home from work that should only take 30 minutes but take an hour and a half due to hazardous conditions. Yeah, that is great fun the first five or six times, the thirtith or fourtith day in a row that you have a white knuckled ride home is not so much fun.
But hey, it was almost forty degrees today, so I am happier. We were able to go outside in our sweatshirts and enjoy the warm weather today. We were excited because we didn't have to wear coats, hats, gloves, scarves, and boots. Just sweatshirts and sneakers and 38 degrees. It is going to be 45 on Tuesday and I guarentee we will see people in shorts. Too bad it is going to drop back down into the twenties and snow later this week, but we will enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!
Winters around that come around every year. I live in an apartment building so things are a little different. I know all about putting the plastic wrap on the windows and what not. Shoveling the walkways and scraping in bone breaking cold just proves to me that I am a man and can deal with the cold temperatures. I even take on other peoples cars and walkways. I love being out in the cold. People in shorts at 40 degrees is quite common here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
There's winter and there's really winter! Having a few inches of snow fall, knowing it will melt in the next day or two is definitely not winter!

People that have always had to deal with 30's and 40's for a few weeks have no clue what a real winter is, they think they know but unless you've lived it, personally I don't think they do.

Sure I've lived in the midwest all my life, and I've experienced some crazier than normal winters but I've never lived in Buffalo, NY, Marquette, MI nor would I want to. I didn't even move to where my sister is 180 mis. from me in Michigan because that 3 hrs. makes her spring almost 4 wks. later than me!
People don't know what a real Winter is untill you have the negatives as your daily high. Our lowest daily high was -17F. A real winter is where you spend atleast 4 months below the freezing mark With half of that being below 20 and another quarter below 10 and the last quarter being below zero.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Quote:
switzerlan to cold 4 me thats for sure!!
Too cold for me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather