Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
The most northerly true sub-tropical climate must surely be the Azores?
I agree with the "true" definition for the Azores. The level of winter warmth, combined with the rainfall make it truly subtropical to me. The Azores are in a different league for winter warmth compared to the northern Mediterranean, Northern California, most of NZ etc, and the vast range of true subtropical plants grown there shows it.

NZ has some climates not too dissimilar, although they tend to be wetter and sunnier.

Port Fitzroy, New Zealand: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data

Azores - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Azores being around 38N lat, and having a solid subtropical climate, I think we have the answer here as to the most northern subtropical climate. The Azores do very well for their lat, considering they have the same January mean temp as St. Augustine Florida at 29.9N latitude. Considerably warmer in winter than east coast USA cities of lower lat like Charleston and Savannah. Charleston has Jan monthly mean temp of 49f, while Azores average 57f. Record low in Azores is something like 25f.

Summer is a little cool for me, and I'm surprised about the ocean temps. Seems in July and August surf temps are in the upper 60's to low 70's. Not bad but not as warm as the east coast of the US.

Overall a nice, stable subtropical climate.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Most northern subtropical , some say, is Sochi (Russia) on the Black sea , as high as 43° North Latitude. Of course I don't believe one minute the southeastern Black sea coast is "subtropical", neither the Russian nor the Georgian nor the Turkish one, at the most they are a humid variation of the Mediterranean climate further south!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
What about Somewhere in the Northern Med like Monaco? It has an average high of 12c in the coldest month?

That to me is warm for December.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Monaco has a Mediterranean climate.

The average high in January is 12.3C/54.1F, but the mean is 10.2C/50.4F

Old 10-24-2012, 10:25 AM

152 posts, read 226,809 times
If we count mediterranean climates as subtropical then it would be somewhere along the northern coast of the Adriatic sea - NW Croatia / Slovenia / NE Italy. Or maybe somewhere further north in Europe, depending on the exact definition of "subtropical".

Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 AM

This is why many of the classification criteria are flawed as some places would appear to be sub-tropical, when they are clearly not...

Hence my saying that the most northerly "true" sub-tropical climate is more than likely the Azores...

Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
This is why many of the classification criteria are flawed as some places would appear to be sub-tropical, when they are clearly not...

Hence my saying that the most northerly "true" sub-tropical climate is more than likely the Azores...
If we don't know what subtropical (or "true" subtropical as a sub-category) really means then that's an empty statement. I can't say if it's true since I don't know what it means.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth serious View Post
If we don't know what subtropical (or "true" subtropical as a sub-category) really means then that's an empty statement. I can't say if it's true since I don't know what it means.
Well I think most of us know which sort of places have sub-tropical climates & the weather that these places get, so I don't think it's an empty statement at all.

Would you consider Tenerife to be more sub-tropical than Sochi?

People are taking some of the classification criteria for a sub-tropical climate too literally, without actually looking into the climates of places. Many places that people are suggesting have a sub-tropical climate actually are already classed in either a Mediterranean or temperate type climate, when a "true" sub-tropical is quite clearly different...

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Would you consider Tenerife to be more sub-tropical than Sochi?
Yes, because Tenerife is warmer. But I consider Sochi subtropical too. Why wouldn't it be subtropical?

Quote:
Many places that people are suggesting have a sub-tropical climate actually are already classed in either a Mediterranean or temperate type climate, when a "true" sub-tropical is quite clearly different...
Mediterranean climates are usually considered subtropical, especially in Europe where the mediterranean climates have warm summers. BTW Tenerife has rainfall concentrated in winter while summers are dry and some parts of the island have very low rainfall (the capital Santa Cruz has 214 mm per year) - does that mean these places are not subtropical? Santa Cruz also doesn't meet the minimum 18°C for daily mean in the coldest month to be a tropical climate only by 0.1°C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather