Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:11 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

All of it means nothing until a couple is legally married. Then the two people are legally bound, and then "breaking up is hard to do"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
There's really no reason that a wedding ring is any more or less "legit" than an engagement ring. Both are pure symbolism, neither is a necessity.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wedding ring - legit
Engagement ring - marketing scam
Promise ring - ok, if you're in middle school
Couple's ring - wtf?
I agree with this. My thoughts on all these different rings? It's cute. That's it. It's cute. Other than that, I wouldn't put ANY hope/special thoughts into receiving a promise or couples ring. They don't mean **** except for being kinda childish and 'cutesy'. You know what..I cant even say its cute unless you are under the age of 18. THEN its cute. For adults, it's a waste of time/money.

Wedding ring is what matters. You can *START* to get a bit happy with a engagement ring, because at least he popped the actual question. Promise and couples rings mean nothing. He might as well just buy some jewelry and label it strictly as a gift instead of putting some hokey label on it that shows that he is not even at the point where he's willing to pop the question. So why bother with all these goofy titles?

People should enjoy their relationships. When you reach that point where y'all want to be married, he can pop the question, and you can get something more REAL (engagement ring).

Like I said, in the end it wont be until that wedding ring is on your finger that it will matter. Ive never been married, but I HAVE been engaged.....until I changed my mind and told him I didn't feel we were there yet. (Thank GOD....cause that relationship sucked the life out of me) So couples need to keep it in perspective until they commit fully.

Everything else is just child play.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Promise Ring
Engagement Ring
Wedding Ring

If you are a guy you better start saving for all of these rings. You only get to wear the wedding ring. First time I hear about such thing as a "couple's ring". Wow. I would think a girl could be happy with a guy simply because they are together and not because she is wearing or not wearing a piece of metal with a shiny rock on her finger.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Eh. I was totally fine without an engagement ring.

It was important to my husband to get one. It's pretty, but wasn't a requirement.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 2,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishe View Post
I have a question. Please forgive this Chinese-American girl due to she don't know much about 'western' culture when it come to the difference between 'wedding ring', 'engagement ring', 'promise ring' and 'couple rings', etc...

okay, pardon me but in my Chinese culture 'engagement ring" is not something common, it more of a 'western thing and Chinese later adapt it.
From what I know "engagement ring" is usually the guy buy for the girl to wear. He "officially" propose, and give her the 'engagement ring" as a promise to married her.

Usually this "engagement ring" type would have a diamond/crystal or some sort of rock on it. The girls love it, and show their engagement ring to her family and friends, BUT I only see the girl wear it. Does the guy buy himself an 'Engagement ring" and wear it too?
It is like a 'pair' of engagement ring that BOTH wear it, or just one engagement ring for the girl to wear only? I'm kindda confuse.

"promise ring" is for the younger generation type, like high school/college, early twenties type of people. It is similar to 'engagement ring' where the guy buy it for the girl to wear. He showing a promise to her, and an engagement ring would come next.

As for "wedding rings", this I know, so no need explaination on that. Whether it Chinese or American culture, wedding rings is all the same meaning.

The "couple rings". My BF have NOT 'officially" propose to me yet. But he bought a pair of matching rings for us. I guess it called "couple band rings" according to the western culture right? Someone say it like a mutual commitment type of rings right?

But how are 'couple rings' suppose to look like to others western culture couples? Anyone here wear couples band rings before? which hand/finger suppose to wear it on? Or is my BF a freak?
Are 'couple rings' just plain gold band like the 'wedding' band? He just got us the plain band type with No design, No rock on it, just simple plain matching band.
It the thoughts that count and I appreciate him for it.
A promise ring is generally a small ring a guy gives his girl to show that he is committed but not ready to be officially engaged. Some couples do this - some don't and the ring is generally a smaller version of an engagement ring.
I say, the promise ring is a waste of money and time. My husband and I laughed about them so much, that when we were in college, he gave me a silver band with the word "maybe" engraved on the top. It was my "maybe" ring

The engagement ring is a larger ring, usually with one large central diamond, that is given to the girl when he proposes. It is worn by a woman on her left-hand ring finger indicating her engagement to be married. By modern convention, the ring is usually presented as a betrothal gift by a man to his prospective bride while or directly after she accepts his marriage proposal. It represents a formal agreement to future marriage.

My husband had gifted me [Mod cut: no urls from new members]when he proposed me. The whole experience was amazing. It has micropave set diamonds enduring in 18k white gold and looks stunning.

The wedding ring is a simpler band, that goes together with the engagement ring. It is given to the bride during the ceremony, and is then worn on the same finger with the engagement ring afterwards

Last edited by RedZin; 07-09-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 03:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
"Couple rings" like you describe are uncommon, but they sound similar to a tradition among our older generation called "pinning," in which a girl wore a boy's class pin to show she was spoken for. Girls might also wear his jacket or something like that. Your boyfriend is wearing a ring too, which is very unusual, but still sweet.

Regarding your question about engagement rings, no, the man usually doesn't wear one. Historically, the woman was leaving her family, assuming the man's last name, and giving up her prime years of fertility and attractiveness based on a promise from the man that he would take care of her and their future family. An engagement ring was a symbol of his commitment to her because she was giving up more than he was. They're traditional but not everyone uses them; I didn't want one, for example.

Same with HS class rings. My GF wore mine - with lots of yarn wound around it to fit her - until we graduated and went our separate ways.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:01 PM

138 posts, read 92,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishe View Post
I have a question. Please forgive this Chinese-American girl due to she don't know much about 'western' culture when it come to the difference between 'wedding ring', 'engagement ring', 'promise ring' and 'couple rings', etc...

okay, pardon me but in my Chinese culture 'engagement ring" is not something common, it more of a 'western thing and Chinese later adapt it.
From what I know "engagement ring" is usually the guy buy for the girl to wear. He "officially" propose, and give her the 'engagement ring" as a promise to married her.

Usually this "engagement ring" type would have a diamond/crystal or some sort of rock on it. The girls love it, and show their engagement ring to her family and friends, BUT I only see the girl wear it. Does the guy buy himself an 'Engagement ring" and wear it too?
It is like a 'pair' of engagement ring that BOTH wear it, or just one engagement ring for the girl to wear only? I'm kindda confuse.

"promise ring" is for the younger generation type, like high school/college, early twenties type of people. It is similar to 'engagement ring' where the guy buy it for the girl to wear. He showing a promise to her, and an engagement ring would come next.

As for "wedding rings", this I know, so no need explaination on that. Whether it Chinese or American culture, wedding rings is all the same meaning.

The "couple rings". My BF have NOT 'officially" propose to me yet. But he bought a pair of matching rings for us. I guess it called "couple band rings" according to the western culture right? Someone say it like a mutual commitment type of rings right?

But how are 'couple rings' suppose to look like to others western culture couples? Anyone here wear couples band rings before? which hand/finger suppose to wear it on? Or is my BF a freak?
Are 'couple rings' just plain gold band like the 'wedding' band? He just got us the plain band type with No design, No rock on it, just simple plain matching band.
It the thoughts that count and I appreciate him for it.

I see you are Asian and you probably know what Damascus steel is and what it is typically used for. I've always had this idea that this is the type of ring I would like to wear if the situation ever came up.

It's unique and one of a kind. Mr. and Mrs. Jones don't even know what it is, much less can keep up with it and it's marvel of craftsmanship and quality.

I'm still waiting for the first legitimate excuse to buy one at least for me, or her of she wanted one too. A ring like this would meet or exceed any standard for whatever you were using it for.

A long term high quality girlfriend would suffice, if not a wife.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Pictures are better!

You get the idea....

Just Google "damascus ring pics" and you will see hundreds of variants...

Old 09-28-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Shooter View Post
I see you are Asian and you probably know what Damascus steel is and what it is typically used for. I've always had this idea that this is the type of ring I would like to wear if the situation ever came up.

It's unique and one of a kind. Mr. and Mrs. Jones don't even know what it is, much less can keep up with it and it's marvel of craftsmanship and quality.

https://www.google.com/search?q=japa...DMURwjMmfHM%3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCnXVVDv1k

Told ya Mr. & Mrs. Jones didn't know what it was/is!

Also often given as wedding gifts and handed down from the family from Centuries old family heirlooms.

Last edited by Happy Shooter; 09-28-2015 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings